Thoughts on Merchant Accounts?

Old October 15th 03, 05:13 PM
Karen_AZ

Default Thoughts on Merchant Accounts?

I'll keep this short (for once G). I'm having a growing discontent with
Paypal, for a number of reasons. In addition, I'm going to start doing shows
again this fall, and I'd like to be able to handle credit card & debit card
sales. I'd very much appreciate anyone's insight, experience and advice on
getting a merchant account, the expenses involved, etc.

My local bank is very nice to small businesses. They even say they have no
set-up or application fees, if you already have a business checking account,
which I do. I'm just wondering what other costs and efforts will be
involved.

Color me clueless but ready and willing to learn,
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/
Ebay Sto http://www.stores.ebay.com/desertdreamerdesigns
JustBeads: http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=DesertDreamer

Old October 15th 03, 06:16 PM
Kandice Seeber

Karen - I have a friend who owns a business which processes credit cards. I
just signed on with him and he's really great.
To have a merchant account, they set you up with a credit card reader that
you can take to shows (or anywhere that has a phone line). You can also
punch the credit card info in if the order is over the phone.
Expect to pay around $40 a month to lease the equipment, or you can just buy
it right out. Then there are a couple of additional charges - the statement
fee is something like $10. Then each type of credit card you take has a
percentage (this is a lot like PayPal) - from 2-4% depending on the type of
card.

I will be completely set up with this by next week and able to take credit
cards outside of PayPal. I will likely still accept PayPal for awhile, but
this will be a nice change. There is a built in seller's protection for
merchant accounts as well. I am especially excited to be able to take
credit cards at shows and even just at home from whoever wants my beads.
PayPal is still good for online, but I am doing more and more offline sales
these days, and people would love to use their credit and would buy more if
they could.

If you would like the company info for my friend, I would be happy to give
it to you. He's really great to work with. I get no kick back or
anything - just really a satisfied customer so far. Plus, he's a friend, so
I trust him not to screw me over.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 15th 03, 08:20 PM
Karin Cernik

Kandice,
A different Karin here, but would you mind sending me the info too? I
won't be ready until next year, but I like to find out ahead of time...
:-)

Thanks!
Karin (remove the obvious from the email)

Old October 15th 03, 09:20 PM
Kandice Seeber

Sure - emailed you!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 15th 03, 11:55 PM
VManes

Depending on the volume of business you expect to do, take a look at
www.propay.com
$35 annual fee, reasonable per transaction charges (a bit higher than
PayPal, IIRC), you can take charges offline, then post them at your
convenience. May not be suitable for all, but it's worked for us as an
adjunct to PayPal - for those times it fails to work for customers, at live
shows, handling some of our other businesses....)

Val

--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
I'll keep this short (for once G). I'm having a growing discontent with
Paypal, for a number of reasons. In addition, I'm going to start doing shows
snip

Old October 20th 03, 01:40 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:13:46 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

I'll keep this short (for once G). I'm having a growing discontent with
Paypal, for a number of reasons. In addition, I'm going to start doing shows
again this fall, and I'd like to be able to handle credit card & debit card
sales. I'd very much appreciate anyone's insight, experience and advice on
getting a merchant account, the expenses involved, etc.

Your bank can tell you exactly what their costs, fees, etc. are.
When I got my first CC account, I ended up changing banks just
to take advantage of the better discount rate at another bank.
Now I'm with NPC as my bank didn't know how to handle
transactions with the kind of cellular capture system that I have.
I'm happy with them as there is no statement charge, no
minimum monthly fee, etc.
If you get a copy of Crafts Report or Sunshine Artist you will
find a dozen ads for a dozen companies. Check them all out.
Then you can get them to fight for your business.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

OT -- Positive thoughts requested Lee S. Billings Beads 5 October 3rd 03 02:47 AM
Prayers and thoughts needed EL Beads 14 September 18th 03 09:33 PM
Letting Go or Giving In--Lampworkers' Thoughts, Please? Karen_AZ Beads 72 August 10th 03 02:41 AM
More good thoughts needed saucy Beads 3 August 8th 03 10:18 PM