Roll Call!

Old January 4th 05, 04:09 AM
Polly Esther

I am Polly Esther. I am an internationally acclaimed quilter, mostly because
we live in the Swamps of Mississippi/Alabama. There are 8,500 alligators
here who take care of anybody who dares question anything I say.
I love this group dearly and they let me express my opinion whether I
know anything about the subject or not.
DH and I have children, grands and greats. We are under the vigilant
supervision of a Yorkie QI name Yogi.
Most of my quilting is love gifts to little ones who have nothing. I am
so old that we took our high school senior trip in a covered wagon. Polly

Old January 4th 05, 04:20 AM
nbhilyard

Hello! Welcome to RCTQ!

I'm Nann. I live in northeasternmost Illinois, 4 blocks from the Wisconsin
line and mile from Lake Michigan. I grew up in suburban Chicago, went to
the University of Missouri, and have been a public library director for 29
years and 8 months in Texas, Kansas, Maine, North Dakota, and, since 1998,
back in Illinois. (My library is at www.zblibrary.org) My husband, a
former academic librarian, is in his 15th year as a United Church of Christ
pastor. He serves a congregation in east central Wisconsin, 94 miles north
of where I live. We have a commuter marriage and I go up to see him most
weekends.

My first quilt was a cross-stitch Bucilla kit, made when I was in library
school. I continue to use both the quilt and the degree every day. I did a
lot of needlepoint in the 70's, cross stitch in the 80's. In the early 90's
I found out that machine piecing and quilting are acceptable and I haven't
looked back.

I continue to do a lot of garment sewing, including wearable art. I began
collecting redwork in the 70's and also have a considerable accumulation of
vintage linens which I hope to incorporate into garments.

I always like to find out how many ways our lives connect through other
affiliations. I'm a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, the P.E.O. Sisterhood, the
American Association of University Women, and Rotary International. [Just
finished a block for a quilt to commemorate the RI Centennial this year, and
last year I coordinated a quilt for the Alpha Gam centennial.] I'm also
involved in the American Library Association (and I am co-convenor of the
ALA Quilters Taskforce).

You can see some of my work at http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard

Old January 4th 05, 04:31 AM
judy in fort worth

One of my good friends and co-teachers is a "queen" for another two months
in a SCA region. She keeps the lunch table entertained with her stories and
travels.

judy in fort worth
remove 4 to reply directly

Old January 4th 05, 04:33 AM
Michelle Chumash

Hi,

I'm a newbie.. Michelle.. from Matawan, New Jersey. I'm 32 with a 2 yr old
son and hubby I started quilting about a year ago when i took a class at
the local Bernina sewing center. I had to make some baby quilts for friends
that were expecting. I was hooked right away... made 6 quilts so far and all
of them went as gifts.. stupid me forgot to photograph any of them though!!

I just bought a new machine.. a Brother CS8150 .. i LOVE it! just finished a
"Hungry Animal Alphabet" quilt and did real machine stipiling or however you
spell it. It was hard but the final product is beautiful! (i'll have to take
some pictures) ... Now i just have to make something for my own son because
he keeps stealing the one i just finished and says it's his!

I'm horrible at coming up with patterns.. but if I have something to follow
i'm doing okay...

Other hobbies include collecting anything Absolut Vodka. You can check out
my website www.absolutad.com if you're interested.

"frood" wrote in message
news
As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them.
But, while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very
easily. (ok, except for a few gabby folks.... ;-P ) So, as a start to a
new year, I thought it would be fun to tell a bit about ourselves, and get
to know each other. I'm sure the newbies aren't the only one trying to
keep the players straight without a score card!

Ok, here goes! I'm Wendy, posting as "frood". I live in Central NC, USA.
I'm married to a fabulous man, and we have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 4 yo
twins, known online as Spike and Giles. I've been quilting for about 7 or
8 years, mostly machine piecing and machine quilting. I love bright
colors, and I collect vintage textiles.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old January 4th 05, 04:35 AM
Ginger in CA

Thank for suggesting this, Wendy. Good on ya!!

My name is Ginger, posting as Ginger in CA. I've been quilting since
1987 (first quilt was a king-sized one for my parents' 45th
anniversary). The design process and hand work is what I like the best.
As of next Monday, will be married for 8 months to a sweet guy. I work
full time, and have a second job taking care of my 92 yo DMIL and this
102 yo house. Besides quilting, I recently learned how to crochet
(thanks, Mz Butterfly!), and do other needlearts. Other hobbies include
writing, walking and firearm shooting (ranked as Distinguished Expert
in both rifle and pistol). I do volunteer work when I can, right now
adult literacy.

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA

Old January 4th 05, 04:36 AM
Mika

Hi! Mika here. I live on Long Island in New York, not too far from Linda. I
am married to the most wonderful man that I could ever wish for and will
celebrate our 13th anniversary in April, hopefully on a cruise. Between us
we have 5 children ranging in age from 14 to 24 and one beautiful grandson.
There are 4 QI's who inhabit our humble abode and rule with an iron paw.
They can be seen on my webshots page if anyone wants to look.

Due to many health problems I don't work outside the home. So I keep myself
busy with quilting. DH is completely supportive and is getting into the
enjoyment of it too. He sometimes enjoys the fabric fondling and matching
colors. As the projects are being pieced, I depend on him a lot to help me
with placement of blocks. He really has a good eye for design. I have been
sewing since I was about 7 and started quilting in junior high school. I got
away from it for several years and just started back a couple of years ago.
I'm addicted now though.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old January 4th 05, 04:48 AM
Laurie G.

Great topic! I'm Laurie and post as Laurie G. I live in California, Vallejo
to be exact, although in a couple of years I will be in Yreka! I am married
to my "Quilting Hero" and have been for 22 years. We have 2 dd's - age 26
and age 19. The oldest is on her own and living an hour away and the
youngest is in her 2nd year at UC Berkeley. We currently have one QI - a
chocolate lab who's 7 although we have been talking puppy for a while now.
She isn't much of an inspector but likes to lay under the quilting frame so
I can trip over her tail! I have been quilting for about 6 years now. I know
that because my Pfaff 7530 just had to be replaced and it was a bit over 5
years old. I replaced it with a Pfaff 2056. I machine piece, machine quilt
and also have a Nolting HobbyQuilter that I quilt with. I am still in the
learning stage, but aren't we always in the learning stage?

I just joined the 21st century by getting a digital camera so I hope to post
some pics of my quilts real soon. I have made many that I have given away
but I still have a few hanging around!

This group is great. I have met some wonderful ladies through this group.

Happy Quilting!
Laurie G.

Old January 4th 05, 05:05 AM

I'm Sonja, posting (occasionally) as Sonja from Red Deer.
Red Deer is in Alberta, between Edmonton and Calgary. I've been
quilting since 1989, and hanging around RCTQ since sometime in 1994. I
have been married to DH for nearly 43 years, and have 3 grown
children--a daughter, still at home, and 2 sons. I have 3 grandchildren
from Son 2, the only one of my kids married. I like a wide variety of
quilting and patterns, and am becmong increasingly fond of scrappy
quilts. Given the amount of stash I need to use up, this is a GOOD
thing. :-) My quilting has been on hiatus the past 3 months, while I
dealt with my husband's serious illness, but I hope to gradually pick it
up again. Welcome again to all newcomers! You've found one of the
friendliest, most caring groups on the net, and one where someone will
always offer advice if you have quilting (or even non quilting!)
questions.

Sonja in Red Deer

-

Old January 4th 05, 05:16 AM
TwinMom

Ok, I'm in too. Lorraine here, posting as TwinMom. Mother to twin 8 yo sons
and a 4 yo girl here in Southern CA. DH & I hit 10 years this past New Years
Eve and I still can't believe we've survived! :-) We have 4 cats and one
big pound puppy dog, who thinks he's a cat. Been quilting about 20 years
(gulp) but seriously for only about 8 or so. I learn more about it every
day!!!Favorites, at the moment, are appliqué and lovely batiks. Can't wait
to get started on some "Hearts Afire" blocks in the coming year.

Old January 4th 05, 05:19 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

With yet another original screen name, you will see that I am Mary
from Rock Island IL. My DH and I have lived here since we got married
23 years ago. He is an engineer, I am a social worker. I grew up in
the Chicago suburbs. His folks are in southern IL (within easy
driving distance of Paducah!). We have 3 kiddos, DS #1 is 17 and is a
HS senior, DS #2 is 15 and a sophomore and DD is 12 in 7th grade.
All three kids play string instruments (bass, cello and bass
respectively). I am also a soccer mom (go Rocks!) and have both a Boy
Scout and a Girl Scout. We will have 2000+ boxes of cookies in our
living room for 2 months starting in late February. You don't even
want to know everything that goes on around here. Let me just say
that we have a color coded calendar with large spaces for each day!

We also have a dog--Maxie. She is 7 or so and is a Yellow Lab Mix.
Her contribution to quilting is to demand to be let in or out often
enough that I don't sit for too long at a time.

Been quilting since 1985 (with some starts and stops since then).
That first class sampler isn't done but I have finished some since
then. Most of my projects are done by machine (I use a Pfaff 2046
most of the time but also have DH's grandmother's FW). I also like to
have a hand project for all those times I am waiting--during lessons,
at the orthodontist, for kids to emerge from school and so on. I made
a quuen size GFG by hand (not quilted yet) and am now working on 1000
Pyramids.

I have waaaay too many projects in progress. My list is posted in FSM
2004 (which Alice W recently invited people to join). However I do
also need to make a college quilt because DS #1 will be going away
this fall.

In addition to my local guild and RCTQ, I belong to two small online
groups. One of those groups has an annual retreat which brings us
together from across the country.

Thanks for suggesting this Wendy!

Mary

HOUSTON IQF, was Houston Quilt Show Roll Call Kellie J. Berger Quilting 50 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Houston Quilt Show Roll Call nana2b Quilting 41 October 20th 04 03:21 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM
ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap Melissa in NJ Quilting 25 November 4th 03 04:02 PM
Fort Washington Show roll call AliceW Quilting 8 September 19th 03 11:55 PM