Color matching solder for sterling silver

Old June 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
Ed

Default Color matching solder for sterling silver

I need to solder a single joint on .925 sterling silver. Color match,
and continued color match between polishings is very important. I've
been advised to use Sterling Silver Hard Solder for the best color
match. There are no other solder joints or stones to worry about.

Can anyone recommend a solder supplier and a brand of flux for this
application?

Is it advisable to mask areas just outside the joint to keep the
solder from flowing onto ajoining areas? I'm talking about really
keeping the solder restricted to the joint only, as much as possible.
If so, what makes a good solder mask?

BTW - I have lots of sterling silver to practice with first.

Regards,
Ed Ferguson
Old June 23rd 04, 07:56 AM
Abrasha

Ed wrote:

Is it advisable to mask areas just outside the joint to keep the
solder from flowing onto ajoining areas? I'm talking about really
keeping the solder restricted to the joint only, as much as possible.
If so, what makes a good solder mask?

A pencil mark. Or yellow ochre.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old June 23rd 04, 03:36 PM
pochino

In article ,
Ed wrote:
I need to solder a single joint on .925 sterling silver. Color match,
and continued color match between polishings is very important. I've
been advised to use Sterling Silver Hard Solder for the best color
match. There are no other solder joints or stones to worry about.

Can anyone recommend a solder supplier

The eutectic alloy of sil/copper would be possibly the best colour match.
Possible to alloy it yourself.

and a brand of flux for this application?

Easiflo flux from the plumber's supplier.

Is it advisable to mask areas just outside the joint to keep the
solder from flowing onto ajoining areas? I'm talking about really
keeping the solder restricted to the joint only, as much as possible.

Make your joint as light-tight as possible. Really close.

Design an area on the piece that you will feed in the solder, then having
soldered, file off the extra.

Brian

--
Brian Adam
Auckland NEW ZEALAND
Old June 24th 04, 02:25 AM
From: ted.ffrater

Where are you?
The word 's a big place, with a lot of precious metal joining suppliers.
What is the joint on?
Is it on say a finger ring shank? or a 3ft dia salver?
In any soldering application there are 101 considerations to take into
account.
youll need to give us a FULL detailed description before well even be
able to size up what your trying to do.
I met a man the other day, who said he wanted to build a boat.
So I asked him , one to play with in your bath?
or one to sail across the Atlantic?
Do you get the point?