Shipping international

Old October 26th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
chaddock

Default Shipping international

I've got two questions.

I have a custom order that needs to be shipped to Germany. I've never
mailed anything outside the US. What's the best way to mail a
necklace? Any idea of an approximate cost?

Also, I'm not sure how to pack this necklace. The necklace is similar
to #197
http://www.jewelrybychaddock.com/197.jpg. It's a little bit shorter
and has a different pendant. There is also a bracelet with it. These
will be a Christmas gift and will be shipped directly to the gift-
recipient. I'd like to figure a way to pack it so the lady will open
the box and it won't be crumpled in the bottom of the box. This
particular necklace is difficult to get to lay straight, as the jump
rings cause it to fold like a chain. Any ideas?

-m.
www.jewelrybychaddock.com
Old October 26th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling

M,

where did you get those long torpedo looking silver beads like the ones in #197???

I got some of them ages ago, and I cant remember where. I'd like to get some more to finish a
project but I cant find them anywhere.

Sterling

Old October 26th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels[_2_]

I'd lay it on Bubble Wrap and fold the wrap over and staple it in place, but
not through the necklace itself. For added stability, you could staple
through the Bubble wrap to a piece of cardboard. Won't look fancy, but it
would be secure. Of course you could then gift wrap it and put it in a
Global Priority Envelope from USPS. Assuming it weighs around 2 lbs, you
could ship it Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope 6 - 10
Days $11.95. That will ship up to 4 lbs, so you could get a little fancier
with the packaging if you'd like.
Go to http://postcalc.usps.gov/ to calculate a different weight.
HTH
--
Karleen Cole
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)

Old October 26th 08, 06:33 PM
Virago_Creations Virago_Creations is offline
Junior Member

Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddock View Post
I've got two questions.

I have a custom order that needs to be shipped to Germany. I've never
mailed anything outside the US. What's the best way to mail a
necklace? Any idea of an approximate cost?
About 1/3 of my sales are to International buyers. I use First Class International as the method - it's the least expensive. The downfall is this method offers no insurance or tracking.

You would use Priority International if you want tracking and insurance. Of course, the buyer will pay a higher shipping rate.

Check the US Postal website for rates - http://www.usps.com. On the top of the page, you'll see the button for Calculate Postage - then change the country to Germany and enter the weight of the item - your shipping options and rates will come up.

I ALWAYS use the green/white customs form for my International mailings even though it's not necessary for items under a certain weight/value.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure how to pack this necklace.
I always pack my jewelry in the appropriate sized jewelry box. In order for the necklace to remain 'presentable' and not bunch up in the box, you'd need a necklace box - here are a few examples from Niles - there are other companies that carry similar items and there are other styles -

Folder - this one is 'leatherette', but they also carry velvet - http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=75

Velour Necklace box - http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=FQ10N

Leatherette Necklace box with packer - http://www.nilecorp.com/products.asp?sku=LN12

The other option would be to make your own necklace 'card' - similar to the earring cards, but larger.

Hope that helps!
Old October 28th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Oct 26, 8:33 am, Virago_Creations Virago_Creations.
wrote:
chaddock;795071 Wrote:

I've got two questions.

I have a custom order that needs to be shipped to Germany. I've never
mailed anything outside the US. What's the best way to mail a
necklace? Any idea of an approximate cost?

About 1/3 of my sales are to International buyers. I use First Class
International as the method - it's the least expensive. The downfall is
this method offers no insurance or tracking.

You would use Priority International if you want tracking and
insurance. Of course, the buyer will pay a higher shipping rate.

Check the US Postal website for rates -http://www.usps.com. On the
top of the page, you'll see the button for Calculate Postage - then
change the country to Germany and enter the weight of the item - your
shipping options and rates will come up.

If you want tracking and insurance you may end up getting a lower
price with express mail. DD was in Austria last school year and
booked some flights with paper tickets that arrived here. I ended
up sending those express mail because it came out about the same.

Aloha,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/
Artists' Fair at Hilo Art and Glass on Sat., Nov. 15, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Art and Fine Crafts Fair at East Hawaii Cultural Center, Sat. Nov. 29,
8-4
Artists' Fair at Hilo Art and Glass on Sat., Dec. 20, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Old October 28th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
chaddock

I actually have a few Folders and Necklace Boxes!
Has anyone ever figured the ROI on shipping insurance? I mean, how many
times have you ever had to file a claim? Since I haven't done much
shipping (I've actually only shipped one item), I have no idea what the
odds are of losing a package.

-m.
www.jewelrybychaddock.com

-

Old October 28th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
chaddock

Sterling,
In addition to the uber secretive source I emailed you, I just purchased
a very large supply. Since I've had a couple of people ask about them,
I'm considering selling some of my surplus. If you are interested in
buying some from me, let me know. I'll set up a web page for purchasing
them.

-m.

Old October 28th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_2_]

I never have insurance on anything I buy from the US. Check it out
because whoever/whatever provides it doesn't include Canada for
coverage.

In 18 months I have only had one very small parcel go missing. It
turned up 3 months later in good shape and I can only assume it fell
into a crack in the post office. Otherwise, by only utilizing the most
inexpensive US mail service, I have to wait anywhere from 7 to 14 days
for delivery.......which frankly, beats paying a huge sum for UPS/FedEx.
One of them automatically adds at least $5.00 for shipping and handling
when I get it, so the cost is ridiculous!!

Frankly I think that some companies just absorb the loss, often under
the guise of me paying for insurance. If they only lose one item every
6 months or so, that
seems sensible to me.

HTH....Heather