New elements?

Old April 20th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Sue Roessel Dura

Default New elements?

Hi Folks,

My firing times are increasing and the final ramp temperatures are
falling below those programmed so I'm thinking it's time for new
elements. Since this will be the first new set since I bought the
kiln, do you have any helpful advise for me?

Thanks!

Sue -
Old April 21st 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Brad Sondahl[_2_]

Boris Mohar wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:32:45 -0500, Sue Roessel Dura
wrote:

Hi Folks,

My firing times are increasing and the final ramp temperatures are
falling below those programmed so I'm thinking it's time for new
elements. Since this will be the first new set since I bought the
kiln, do you have any helpful advise for me?

Thanks!

Sue -

You will find the old elements to be very brittle and if thy are fitted
snugly thy will not come out easily in one piece. First time when I tried to
replace the elements in my wife's kiln, I was pulling out little bits at a
time and it was talking forever. The solution is to heat the wire wit a
propane torch as you are puling it put using long nose pliers. Heat makes
the wire temporarly pliable and it comes out in one piece.
When installing the wire, find a midpoint and insert it in the groove there,
working towards both ends. That way the distribution will be better
balanced. Make very sure that all of the coils are evenly distributed.

--
Boris

That's a good suggestion, that I wished I read before servicing my two
kilns yesterday. But it occurs to me that, assuming the elements aren't
already burned out, you could achieve a similar effect by turning them
on high for a couple minutes before removing them. In either case heavy
leather gloves and needlenose pliers to avoid burns would be essential.
This also might be the time to replace the thermocouple for the kind of
shut off you use, if it's in the housing for the elements.
As to replacing kiln elements, brands vary as to how to do it, what kind
of connectors, etc. Stainless steel crimp connections are common, and
if that's what you have, you'll need a crimping tool to tighten them.
Brad Sondahl

--
visit Sondahl.com for original art, music, pottery, photography,
literature, videos and more.
Old April 21st 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Andrew Werby

Try replacing the switches first. I had the same thing happening, replaced
the elements, and it didn't help. Changing the switches did the trick.

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

My firing times are increasing and the final ramp temperatures are
falling below those programmed so I'm thinking it's time for new
elements. Since this will be the first new set since I bought the
kiln, do you have any helpful advise for me?

Thanks!

Sue -

FS moly elements/transformer [email protected] Glass 10 September 9th 05 04:35 PM
Help with elements? Randy Pottery 0 November 6th 04 01:02 PM
OT - Two new elements added . . . . Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\) Quilting 3 July 18th 04 11:31 PM
Kiln Elements Kevin Baldwin Pottery 3 July 3rd 04 08:34 PM
elements Gretl IoW Pottery 3 July 20th 03 06:08 PM