Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

Old February 4th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:57:50 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

Just think about how America started. Gill. It was from people "running
away" from things they disliked in their own countries!!!

Pat P

Like I told Gill, I am not running anywhere. The point of her post
was to tell me it was irresponsible of me to run. I never once said I
was running. I would like to seek out a different culture, different
lifestyle than the bland, white bread of what America is slowly
turning into.

Old February 4th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default OT:Flag Burning (was) Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen ) writes:
How would you feel if somebody took your national flag and turned it
into a nast joke ? how do you feel when somebody burns your flag ?

(snip)
mirjam

I feel sorry for anyone who'd go to that length because it implicated
them as having strong attachment and aversion, but I strongly support
their right to burn the flag. I am not sure if it's legal in every
state. I am not a flag burner, so I don't keep tags on the protocol.
Old February 4th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

It does not take an extraordinary amount of strength and energy to
attempt to make a change in things. Even if Victoria herself is too weak
and ill to do something, I should imagine her husband is capable.

Gill

If you're able to post to RCTN, you can type the same number of words in
a letter to your Congressperson; then change the name and send the same
letter to your Senators and the President. All their addresses and fax
numbers are available online and can be cut/pasted into your word
processor. If it takes you a week to complete the letter typing one
sentence every few hours, so what? This is not a subject that's
particularly time-sensitive.

If it is time-sensitive, call the office. All you really have to say is
"I'm for (or against) the bill to do X", to get logged in their public
opinion poll.

You can do either of those from bed; that's why I have a laptop instead
of having to wait till I'm well enough to sit at a desk.

Although they have e-mail capability on the Congressional website, it's
recommended by those in the know not to use that for anything critical
-- your odds of getting heard/read are greatly improved by phoning,
faxing or snail mailing where you won't get lost in the tons of spam.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old February 4th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dr. Brat wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

If a doctor told you how long you had to live, what would you do?
Would you spend it all pent up wasting energy on matters you can never
change? Or would you spend it smelling flowers and enjoying life?
I'm not making reference to myself, but supposed your doctor said you
had 5 years to live. Would you become activist and add stress to your
life, or would you travel and spend all you time cuddling with your
husband?

I don't think it's a binary choice. I would hope that if I were told my
life would end soon, that I wouldn't change that much about the way I
live now. If I would, that would mean that I'm not living well in the
first place, wouldn't it? But I think I can be an activist and still
travel and cuddle with my husband.

Elizabeth

If there's nothing I can do to improve my health, then why NOT do what I
can to leave the world a better place for others?

I've fought many battles in my life that will help others more than me.
Why stop just because I'm dying? In fact, I think it would make a
helluva eulogy: "She fought for the underprivileged till her dying day."

Old February 4th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
and learn to do cable knitting!

You're in luck! That's one of the easiest things to learn (provided you
can already knit and pearl).

All it is is slipping a required number of stitches on another needle
and either putting those stitches at the back of your work, or at the
front of your work. Then, knitting from the regular needle. Then
knitting off the cable needle.

I love cables. The sweater I knit for my grandson two Christmas's ago
was entirely made up of cables.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old February 4th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:36:31 -0800, Karen C - California
wrote:

=

[...]

I write to my senators, congressmen and city council has had multiple
petitions from this block, including me as the person who proposed the
petition, etc. I am fully aware of how to write to my representatives
and I have on more than dozens of occasions. I've made proposals to
the city council, and exchanged many emails with Mayor Maxwelll, which
fell on deaf ears.

I have no desire to change things because it is an incredible waste of
time, usually. However, recently there was a huge debate on the table
about a park they are building on our block and where parking would
be. With a petition we were able to relocate the parking, so now and
then it does help.

None of this is my point, or at the heart of why I want out of
America. It's the dumbing down, the lack of support for the arts, the
general malaise of our government and their outrageous corruption of
the system, starting with Tom Delay all the way to every Enron
executive and trader.

New Orleans is only one very small example of how much our current
government cares about "colored" people. It's disgusting. If that
hurricane hit Palm Beach where fatboy Rush Limbaugh lives, you can bet
your ass that would have been completely cleaned up and the
reconstruction would have been well on its way by now.

Instead, we have the MOTHER of the sitting president and a first lady
herself saying things about the people living in the Astrodome,
"...well, they were very underprivaledged and are so much better off
now." F that old bag. How dare her. Her and the stepford first lady
we have now. That's what represents our nation? I want out if that's
what represents my nation.

So please don't preach to me about writing letters when you lay on
your fat butt and complain about everything in life.
Old February 4th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:41:56 -0800, Karen C - California
wrote:

If there's nothing I can do to improve my health, then why NOT do what I
can to leave the world a better place for others?

I've fought many battles in my life that will help others more than me.
Why stop just because I'm dying? In fact, I think it would make a
helluva eulogy: "She fought for the underprivileged till her dying day."

The only thing you seem to do from a bed with a laptop is pontificate
how I should be doing what I can for the underprivileged. We are all
dying. You don't know me, or what I do for the needy. You have no
idea at all.

So, me saying I want to move out of this country has nothing to do
with efforts in my life to help others. Just because the people I
help are not desirable to those of you in this newsgroup who put me
down for who I help (death row inmates) doesn't mean it is not worthy
work. Sister Prejean was applauded and still is. I have exchanged
email with her, she's a force to admire and look up to and the bulk of
her work is with death row inmates. As is mine.

I am not sure how this got so far. It is puzzling to me how me making
a simple statement that my husband and I are looking into moving out
of the country can bring this into me not being helpful to anyone, or
that I don't actively do anything to help anyone. I don't measure who
I am against who you are.

I'm also not thinking of my eulogy. I merely want to be remembered
for who I am. If that is someone who just wanted to hug her husband
or if I am someone who donates great amounts of money to people who
need cataract operations in India and Nepal. I am not so grandious
about who I am that I do things to be given kudos at the time of my
death. I would be completely fine if all my husband said about me
was, "my wife was the best cuddler on earth." When I die, I'll be
dead. I don't care what people say at that point. I care how I live,
and I'm very confortable with the level of charity I assign my time
to. I certainly don't post my resume here or anywhere, and certainly
don't have a blog. I'm really not that important.
Old February 4th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Knitting Cable Stitches (was getting really tired and boring) Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:04:55 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
and learn to do cable knitting!

You're in luck! That's one of the easiest things to learn (provided you
can already knit and pearl).

All it is is slipping a required number of stitches on another needle
and either putting those stitches at the back of your work, or at the
front of your work. Then, knitting from the regular needle. Then
knitting off the cable needle.

I love cables. The sweater I knit for my grandson two Christmas's ago
was entirely made up of cables.

Dianne

I think my biggest fear are the patterns. I adore some of the really
complicated cables, especially the Celtic knots. I do know how to
knit and pearl. Maybe I'll pick up a book of simple cable patterns.
Do you have any recommendations on simple books?
Old February 4th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen ) writes:

How would you feel if somebody took your national flag and turned it
into a nast joke ? how do you feel when somebody burns your flag ?

(snip)

mirjam

I feel sorry for anyone who'd go to that length because it implicated
them as having strong attachment and aversion, but I strongly support
their right to burn the flag. I am not sure if it's legal in every
state. I am not a flag burner, so I don't keep tags on the protocol.

Technically, no state will make it outright illegal to burn the U.S.
flag. When a flag has become worn and weather-beaten, ritualistic
burning is the proper method of retirement. Your local American Legion
can assist you if you have a flag in need of retirement. That said, I
hope these so-called weatherproof flags (mostly made in other countries)
do not contain chemicals that would be harmful to burn.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old February 4th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 21:16:56 GMT, Brenda Lewis
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen ) writes:

[...]

I buy flags made in the USA and that are cotton. I save all my worn
flags because I am fond of them after having been through all manner
of winds and brutally hot sun. We have a 20 foot flagpole out front
and my neighbors son is doing his second tour in Baghdad and said he's
send me a flag from there. Apparently, the guys make flags there and
have a special color guard who do nothing but care for the flags even
in Iraq. So, I am waiting for his third flag to be waved. I have the
other two and last time he went his mother hung it on the pole. We
took it down at night and in rain or inclement weather. So, I'm up to
the proper ways to treat the flag, just not up on whether or not it's
a big stink if you burn one in protest. I'm not motivated to do
anything like that.

The flags made in China are generally made of nylon and poly.