Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

Old February 6th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Ot sentences that are hard to say was Goodbye -

Betty Botter bought a bit of butter. "But", she said, "this butter's
bitter. If I put it in my batter it will make my batter bitter. But a
bit of better butter will make my batter better."

So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter and it made her batter
better.

Pat in Illinois

Amber wrote:
The six shiek's sixth sheep is sick

Old February 6th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Pat in Illinois" wrote in message
Betty Botter bought a bit of butter. "But", she said, "this butter's
bitter. If I put it in my batter it will make my batter bitter. But a
bit of better butter will make my batter better."

So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter and it made her batter
better.

Pat in Illinois

Oh Pat, just try saying that one with the good old glottal stop! "Be`y Bo`er
bough` a bi` of bu`er......... etc!" LOL!

Pat P

Old February 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Goodbye - was Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"Pat P" wrote
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Oh thank you mrs PP , if you want to send me some pots , please send a
pyrex of 5 litter , and i need a new electric kettle.... mirjam

They don`t come in litters - that`s cats!

Inquiring minds now want to know if Sheena's Bucket has a 5 litre
capacity.
We shall not inquire about any litters relating to Bucket out of
consideration for the delicate minds among us.
Dawne

Never mind Bucket - has Sheena?

Pat P

Old February 6th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

she sells seashells on the sea shore and the seashells she sells are sea
shells I'm sure
"Pat P" wrote in message

"Chris Howard" wrote in message
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
i know many Hebrew
sentences , but forgot the few English i knew ,, do you have a nice
one i could enjoy ?

I'm afraid I don't know any good Hebrew sentences, and there are many
folks who would say I don't know any good English sentences either. Try
saying this fast:

She sells seashells by the seashore.

That one will make your head ache!

I expect you`ll remember the other old ones:-

"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, where`s the peck of pickled
peppers Peter Piper picked?"

"I slit the sheet; the sheet slit me; slitten was the sheet that was slit
by me" (Be careful of this one!).

Another favourite, although not a tongue twister, was:-

I saw Esau sitting on a seesaw - how many "s`s" in that?

There are lots more, though! ;-))

Pat P

Old February 7th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Goodbye - Rational voices needed..

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Like you Lucille i felt that i do agree with many partys of Cheryl`s
letter, and like you i find it interesting to read all the views. I
did write my views since i found it touched some points that touch my
life. Incitive cartoons, have been used many times as Anti-semitic
propaganda disguised as cartoons. I live in the Middle East i have
neigbouring Muslim Countries, and neighbour Muslims in my country. I
have Taught in classes with Muslim girls, and went out of my way to
teach art in a manner acceptable to their culture. For me Freedom of
Speech Doesn`t entitle me to the freedom of hurting other people
feelings. Freedom of speech entitles me to study and be careful what i
say about others.
A young Muslim girl here said to me , Maybe it would have been
different if We started to to draw Cartoons about THEIR Holy persons.
mirjam

It just so happens that I agree with nearly all of what you say, except for
your decision to leave.

I deliberately chose not to get involved in this particular thread for many
reasons, but I respect others right to say what they please. I also find
it interesting to read the opinions of others, even though I don't want to
participate.

The bottom line is it's my choice.

Lucille

"Cheryl in Oz" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
I usually don't respond to posts like this but this one has dragged on and
on. It is also not the first time this type of discussion has become so
dominant, although this one has been relatively restrained.

I am tired of being told that I cannot do things because there is even a
remote chance that it might "offend" someone else. I am - I think - a
kind and caring person, and I normally go out of my way NOT to do or say
things that I know will offend or hurt others. But I do not believe I
should have my life totally dictated to by the views and beliefs of
others, just as I do not expect my preferences to set the standards for
their lives. These cartoons (which I have not bothered to look up) might
be offensive to Muslims. They might also be offensive to art criticts. I
find the sight of thousands of Muslim extremists using these cartoons as
an excuse to rally and threaten the lives of innocent people who had
nothing to do with them offensive - or perhaps frightening would be more
accurate.

I am offended by the views of many organisations, and even a few religious
groups. So I don't read or listen to them. If they do anything to break
the law I will support any move to prosecute them (prosecute - not
persecute!). But otherwise - leave the idiots alone! The KKK has a right
to exist, but not to break the law. Christian fundamentalists can pound
their pulpits and bibles all they want as long as they don't break the
law. Even the Muslim extremists can protest over these cartoons (despite
the fact that it offends/frightens me) but they cannot break the law.

The headline seeking publishers who printed the cartoons in the first
place were entitled to do so - they did not break the law. And let's face
it, by stirring up all this fuss they have what they wanted - a headline
for tomorrows paper. Next time something like this happens, ignore the
article/drawing and maybe say a small prayer for the enlightenment of
those offering it up. Consider this - if the general populace of the
world were just a bit more tolerant, the jingoist headlines and political
manipulations of the few would have less chance of driving us (in the heat
of the moment) into wars that we may later (on more careful consideration)
see as unjustified.

My own religious beliefs are none of your business unless I choose to
share them. As far as I am concerned, every one is entitled to find their
own road to heaven or hell. But if I pray for anything it is for a little
more tolerance for this sad world we live in, for everyone.

Why can't we all just try to get along? Why must this (or any subject)
continue to be picked at over and over? Just let it go!

This response will doubtless draw an avalanche of snide or abusive
remarks, along with the usual number of patronising hypocracies, so I
won't bother to check to see. I am not directing my comments to ANYONE in
particular. I am just sending out my own small wish for a little more
tolerance and forgiveness from everyone.

I will miss the things I enjoyed about this newsgroup. However, as I
mostly lurked quietly I hardly think I will be missed. But if I want to
be preached to or brow beaten, lectured or chastised, patronised or
brainwashed - well, frankly there are other forums than this I can turn
to. I have had enough and I choose to withdraw quietly before this thread
(or another one) becomes any longer or more personal.

A little sadly I bid you goodbye and wish you all well

Cheryl

Old February 7th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Waaay OT; Muslim cartoons.

Hi Gillian,
I'm a new poster. I'm what some people might regard as older and I
sympathize with people wanting to leave. I just can't imagine what
planet they'll be going to.
If, at this time, there are not enough people OUTRAGED by the erosion
of our freedoms here and around the world, I can only assume that
change will come VERY slowly if at all.
Sadly,
Manatee

Old February 7th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Mirjam,
I like to think that I would have taken the opportunity to educate that
young girl. Of Course "it" would have been different. I believe that if
people were offended, no ,very offended, they would not riot and try to
destroy the people they disagree with. Enlighten her if you can. The
only way such an approach will work, unfortunately, is if you have the
biggest stick.
manatee

Old February 8th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

manatee wrote:
If, at this time, there are not enough people OUTRAGED by the erosion
of our freedoms here and around the world, I can only assume that
change will come VERY slowly if at all.
Sadly,
Manatee

I don't disagree with anything you have said. I would like to ask,
however, if you could name the specifics of our erosion of freedom.
What do you see that is being eroded. Can you put it into words? What
can you do today that you couldn't do a decade ago?

I'm concerned about a few issues, but I'd like to hear from others.

Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old February 8th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"manatee" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Gillian,
I'm a new poster. I'm what some people might regard as older and I
sympathize with people wanting to leave. I just can't imagine what
planet they'll be going to.
If, at this time, there are not enough people OUTRAGED by the erosion
of our freedoms here and around the world, I can only assume that
change will come VERY slowly if at all.
Sadly,
Manatee

I see that they`ve discovered a planet somewhere in the milky way very
similar to earth but three times the size. Once we get there, any bets how
long it will take us to mess THAT up as well?

Pat P