OT - virus warning - 5/20/2004

Old May 24th 04, 04:15 AM
mjoann

Kalera Stratton wrote:
I was using Mozilla and I like it, but it locks up my machine
periodically, and unfortunately it does it on eBay, which I really
rather need to use. Sigh. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of XP, which I
despise. I am considering installing 2000. Still buying another Mac the
second we're out of debt! Then this one will be for shipping only and it
won't matter.

Have you considered a used Mac? Even one a year old is going to be light
years better than any PC! My fiancé collects Macs and he likes to watch
e-Bay for systems that are nearby (to avoid shipping.) They tend to be
really low on e-Bay because people figure in the shipping, but if you
find someone nearby who will let you pick up, you could get a deal. Just
recently, he went to our local Mac dealer and got a used G-4 with all
the extras for about $200. We are constantly in debt, but he raised the
money in a week just by getting some odd computer tutoring jobs.

mjoann

Old May 24th 04, 04:38 AM
Kandice Seeber

Yep - all very good. And also Google has a popup blocker that installs
right into the browser tool bar. You can turn it off and on for each
website as you see fit wth just one click. Very nice and also free.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

The days of just turning your computer on and dialing into the Internet
without a care are in the past. Nowadays you need to have a strong

defensive
system on your computer. Four things make up this defense:
(1) Anti-virus: I use AVG as well and really like it. I like Norton but
some of the MS Office applications have issues with Norton.
(2) Firewall: Hardware as well as software. My router and ISP cover me.

Zone
Alarm has a free version but setting it up can be a bit of a pain to
computer novices.
(3) Malware protection: I use Ad-Aware, also free.
(4) Anti-Spam softwa I've heard excellent reviews about Mailwasher,

also
free.

Another product to consider is a pop-up blocker. I use Panic-ware's Pop-Up
Stopper, free again.

Did you notice that all of the defenses you should have are available for
FREE? You certainly can't argue the cost. And before you ask, no, I am not
inundated with crap mail because I use these products. (I got hit because

my
addy was harvested from the Microsoft newsgroups.)

If you aren't certain if you are protected/clean/safe/whatever, go to
www.symantec.com and follow the links for the Security Check. You can

check
to see if you have any viruses, worms, or Trojan Horses AND you can check

see if your system is protected against hackers.

Safe Surfin'
--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
AVG - Free, powerful anti-virus software download:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

I've been using it for years, and it's the best out there. Doesn't

screw
up
the computer like Norton, etc. Updates automatically, all the time (if

you
have an open connection) so it catches all the new baddies. PLEASE get

it
if you haven't done so already.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

someone using an ISP in Santa Fe that reads this group has a virus on
their computer. the supposed 'names' are all from this group in
various forms.

PLEASE check your computers regularly!

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of

America,
and to the republic which it established, one nation from many

peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Old May 24th 04, 04:45 AM
Kandice Seeber

Hmmmm - if I remember correctly I think it was PayPal. But it might have
been a credit card, I don't know - it was awhile ago. I do have the Pro
version. People can download the free version and use that without
problems, though - I did that for awhile.
I hope the person who has the virus has found it and killed it!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]This is not an indication that I have a virus (scanned three times with
]different software, and I am clean), but that my email address was

harvested
]from the virus vistim's address book, right? Have had over 400 in the

last
]18 hours. So glad I have Mailwasher.

probably correct, yes.

all i was trying to do was to get Comcast users who read this group to
scan their computers. because david managed to identify the original
messages as having been relayed from a Comcast user. it could be a
Comcast/cable-internet user. it may be someone who just reads and
doesn't post. but i know they have at least me, tink, and Cheryl in
their address book.

and yes, i really enjoy Mailwasher, too.

Kandice, IYDMMA, how did you pay for it???? what method did you use?

-----------

Old May 24th 04, 05:04 AM
Kalera Stratton

I loved my Macs. This is the first MS machine I've ever owned - my first
computer was an Amiga, and then in the early 90's I switched to Mac. My
old Mac was just no longer able to keep up, and I needed a faster
computer to run my business with, and do shipping on, so we bought this
beast... the machine is fine, it's the software I hate. But since we
bought it to do one thing, really, and it does that one thing, I will
just have to bear with it until we can afford to get me a Mac again.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2004 22:26:47 -0400, Kalera Stratton wrote
(in message ):

Still buying another Mac the
second we're out of debt! Then this one will be for shipping only and it
won't matter.

Hooray! I can't tell you how many Macs I've bought over the years, and I
still love them like family. It's so nice to be able to just sit down and do
what you want, without having to worry about viruses, worms, blue screens of
death, and the myriad indeosyncracies in Windows. (And I like Windows NT -
it's worlds better than Windows ME, which was total dreck, IMO)

We still have one Windows laptop, but that's for Bob's work. Everything else
here is Mac. I spend at least ten times more money and work on keeping that
stupid thing running and virus free than I do on all the Macs combined. (4
iMacs, one iBook, one PowerBook. - soon to be running on a nice wireless
airport network.)

No, we don't _need_ all the computers by a long shot. But all my years in
the industry gave me a great fondness for having computers around, and I've
had fun building a couple from dumpster diving expeditions. Having them and
babysitting them makes me feel a little less useless, and my Internet
connection is by far my biggest connection to the world outside.

Kathy N-V

Old May 24th 04, 05:10 AM
Kalera Stratton

It's the home version, which is what came installed on the computer. Why
I hate it.. LOL... how do I count the ways? How about the fact that it
RANDOMLY CHANGES SETTINGS. That's the tip of the iceberg, and it's
enough to make me loathe it with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

It seems to be designed for people who don't know what they're doing,
yet at the same time making things far too convoluted for those who do.
Ugh. It's fruity, and I don't mean homosexual, I mean gussied-up and
shadowboxed and embroidered for Great-Aunt Mildred except that Great
Aunt Mildred hasn't needed her hand held while crossing the street since
she was six, and that was eighty years ago.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, the truth is I can't put my finger
on it myself except that periodically I turn on my computer and
SOMETHING HAS CHANGED, and I was the last and ONLY person to use it. And
then there are shrieks of rage.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

JL Paules wrote:
I used to sell Gateways so I'll pass on a word of advice before you drop
back to Windows 2000. Make sure you have Windows 2000 drivers for all of
your hardware before doing that. You may find that you have components that
were designed specifically for XP.

I upgraded from 98 to XP Pro on this machine and everything is fine.
Downgrading could be another story. May I ask *why* you despise Windows XP?
Were you using Home or Pro?

Old May 24th 04, 05:12 AM
Kalera Stratton

We will almost certainly get a used one when the time comes... there's
no way we'd be able to afford a new one!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 24th 04, 05:36 AM
JL Paules

Okay, the first thing you ought to do to feel better is to change your view
to Classic. Get rid of the kiddie art s**t. Right click on the Start button,
select Properties. Select Classic Start menu.

Are you running all of the appropriate patches? Have you checked for
spyware? Have you checked for viruses?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Old May 24th 04, 08:17 AM
Kalera Stratton

Already did it within about five seconds of opening the box, and yes,
yes, and yes.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 24th 04, 08:19 AM
Kalera Stratton

How old was the problematic update? I'd consider trying it again. I got
the computer in January, and downloaded whatever the most-current
version of Mozilla was in February.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kalera Stratton
:

]I was using Mozilla and I like it, but it locks up my machine
]periodically, and unfortunately it does it on eBay, which I really
]rather need to use. Sigh. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of XP, which I
]despise. I am considering installing 2000. Still buying another Mac the
]second we're out of debt! Then this one will be for shipping only and it
]won't matter.

okay - that's really weird.
i have XP, although it's a PITA to keep updated.
and i have Mozilla. it's all i use - and it's NEVER locked up on
e-bay [or any site that wasn't using really weird crap].

maybe update Mozilla to a newer version?

i know one of the XP updates caused problems until they came out with
an update to the update!

Damn that Virus! meijhana Beads 9 September 23rd 03 11:00 PM
OT ~ AAGGHHH!!! An old customer has the SoBig virus... Mj Beads 6 September 5th 03 06:45 AM