new spinning colour technique

Old January 19th 04, 10:01 PM
Cher

Default new spinning colour technique

Hi all of you that spin. I've been messing about with the drum carder for
ages now, and have quite a few mixed colours that I want to make a throw out
of..

this is a new play technique for me, but this is what I've done.. Some of
you will remember that back at the beginning of the summer, I had some white
fleece which I washed and hung into bags from the ceiling of my workshed at
the bottom of the garden. Well I took a load of it, and put this into three
groups and dyed them, 1group red, 1grp yellow, and one blue.

Then I blended and blended some of them together making other colours, and
some I lightened with some white, it seemed to go on forever. Once I had
all the colours I needed from a colour wheel, I made batts from them. Once
done, I then chose three colours, say red yellow and blue, I took a red
batt, split a third of it away, and put the other two thirds to one side, I
then pulled this batt out, quite long, then fed it onto the carder at one
edge, next I took a third of the yellow, and fed that onto the carder next
to the red, and finally I did the same with the blue, I took this striped
batt off of the carder, and laid it to one side, then taking the same
family of colours, I did the same thing again, but this time using
burgundy, sandy, and purple blue, when this batt was done, I put this ontop
of the stripey batt.. then I did a third batt, again using the same colour
family of red yellow and blue, but different shades of it, and made a batt
with pink, lemon, and teal...Then came the fun bit...I had all three stripey
batts done and laying one on topof the other, I pulled them about abit to
make them all the same size, then I rolled them up, across the length, not
top to bottom, and pulled and drafted a roving, from this huge batt.. what
a wonderful array of colours, I spun them into multi colour singles, and
these will be used to make a throw, about 45inches wide, if I ever finish
the rug I've got on at the workshop, I need to use the workshop loom as it
is wider than mine.

It was fun to do, and I had done similar things with three colours which I
pulled through a hackle comb I'd clamped to a table, I did a mauvyblue
light blue and sky blue in this way pulling it through a diz, (bone with a
hole in it) and spun it up into a single yarn for Noreen, I think some of
you remember this, however this was done with 'tops' not fleece as I've done
on the carder.

Thought I'd share......Cheers.....Cher

---

Old January 20th 04, 04:09 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:01:24 -0000, "Cher" wrote:

Hi all of you that spin. I've been messing about with the drum carder for
ages now, and have quite a few mixed colours that I want to make a throw out
of..

Thanks. That post is a keeper! It started out reminding me of some blending
experiments we did in our guild years ago, but you've added a nice twist!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old January 20th 04, 07:59 PM
Cher

LOL...it is fun to do..cheers...Cher

wrote:

Hi all of you that spin. I've been messing about with the drum carder

for
ages now, and have quite a few mixed colours that I want to make a throw

out
of..

Thanks. That post is a keeper! It started out reminding me of some

blending
experiments we did in our guild years ago, but you've added a nice twist!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

---

Colour Sets posted - which one do you like? Ann Quilting 33 January 16th 04 01:31 AM
correction...should read antique french spinning wheel not spinning machine Jacqueline Butt Yarn 0 November 25th 03 12:32 AM
Converts to spinning CMM PDX2 Yarn 7 October 30th 03 12:50 AM
Spinning and Weaving Neal Rogers Yarn 80 August 22nd 03 10:35 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM