OT Low Blood Pressure

Old January 7th 12, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Default OT Low Blood Pressure

DH has just spent 48 hours in hospital after suffering dizzy spells due
to low blood pressure. They couldn't find an obvious cause and he is now
back home and getting a 24hour moniter device next week.

He has been told to live a normal life except for driving or going for
long walks on his own, and has been told to have plenty of salt on his
food - to salt and then salt again.

I have filled the salt pot full, but has anyone got any more hints as to
how to get the pressure higher (we have agreed that getting cross is not
an option!).

He is not allowed to pass out as I strained my back carrying his
'overnight' bag full of reference books (he needed them for a talk he is
writing and occupied himself with while in hospital) and so can't pick
him up!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside
Old January 7th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 07/01/2012 10:50, Sally Swindells wrote:
DH has just spent 48 hours in hospital after suffering dizzy spells due
to low blood pressure. They couldn't find an obvious cause and he is now
back home and getting a 24hour moniter device next week.

He has been told to live a normal life except for driving or going for
long walks on his own, and has been told to have plenty of salt on his
food - to salt and then salt again.

I have filled the salt pot full, but has anyone got any more hints as to
how to get the pressure higher (we have agreed that getting cross is not
an option!).

He is not allowed to pass out as I strained my back carrying his
'overnight' bag full of reference books (he needed them for a talk he is
writing and occupied himself with while in hospital) and so can't pick
him up!

I have just had a high blood pressure scare, but mine is usually on the
low end of normal. I tend to get up and see whole new constellations
first thing in the morning. I've always been like this.

I dislike most salty food, so salting things is not an option. I'm
surprised they told you to do this unless part of his problem is low
sodium counts when they did a blood test (mine have always been normal).

A good varied diet, including plenty of fresh and cooked fruit and veg,
paricularly bananas if his potassium count is low, regular aerobic
exercise, and not stressing too much about it should improve things.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 7th 12, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Wish I could help, but all my experience has been the other way round
(what you would expect from an Aries person I guess gg).
As well as salt, perhaps you could look at all the things to avoid with
high blood pressure - and reverse them? I have forgotten what they are,
as I have had tablets for years. As exercise is a good thing to keep it
down, perhaps lounging around and putting on weight would be good
starters! Wonder how your DH would react to that? g
Not a laughing matter I know, just a gentle tease ...

Tell him to be patient, because it is much harder to get pressure up
than it is to get it down; but, apart from falling, it is less dangerous
on the whole I think.
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes
DH has just spent 48 hours in hospital after suffering dizzy spells due
to low blood pressure. They couldn't find an obvious cause and he is
now back home and getting a 24hour moniter device next week.

He has been told to live a normal life except for driving or going for
long walks on his own, and has been told to have plenty of salt on his
food - to salt and then salt again.

I have filled the salt pot full, but has anyone got any more hints as
to how to get the pressure higher (we have agreed that getting cross is
not an option!).

He is not allowed to pass out as I strained my back carrying his
'overnight' bag full of reference books (he needed them for a talk he
is writing and occupied himself with while in hospital) and so can't
pick him up!

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old January 7th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

At least two of the grannies in the family had extremely low blood pressure
and truly believed that a tiny glass of red wine in the evening helped.
Might have just been a good excuse for 'hitting the bottle' but the pretty
glasses they used were very small. Why don't you google around and see if
red wine raises blood pressure? Just for medicinal purposes, of course.
Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
Wish I could help, but all my experience has been the other way round
(what you would expect from an Aries person I guess gg).
As well as salt, perhaps you could look at all the things to avoid with
high blood pressure - and reverse them? I have forgotten what they are,
as I have had tablets for years. As exercise is a good thing to keep it
down, perhaps lounging around and putting on weight would be good
starters! Wonder how your DH would react to that? g
Not a laughing matter I know, just a gentle tease ...

Tell him to be patient, because it is much harder to get pressure up than
it is to get it down; but, apart from falling, it is less dangerous on the
whole I think.
.
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Old January 8th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

i fall asleep soon after starting to read a book.
i'll be taking lots of lightweight crosswords in with me.
they weigh less too. )
j.

"Sally Swindells" wrote...

Old January 13th 12, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 7, 4:50*am, Sally Swindells
wrote:
[...]

Sally, when my BP dipped too low my GP suggested Gatorade. I suppose
it worked. Anyway,
something you could ask the doc about. (Might be just the high sodium
in Gatorade, I dunno)
Hope this helps.

Sherry
Old January 13th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

Thanks. He seems to be improving - says he feels almost normal today.
I'm giving him a packet of potato crisps (US chips)with his lunch as a
way of giving him extra salt! It is difficult to increase salt as we do
add it to our food anyway. He's going on the 24 hour heart monitor
thingy again next week, but the doctor thinks it might be a virus that
has caused the trouble, and it may be a one off. Lets hope so.

Old January 16th 12, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I was trying to think of what was really Really good that was enormously
salty and ta-dah! I remembered. Boiled peanuts. Pretzels. You'd think
that I could have inherited my father's tall, dark handsome good looks or at
least his beautiful long straight fingers. NAAAH. I inherited his ability
to swell up like roadkill when I succumb to the boiled peanuts or pretzels.
Sometimes I indulge. Next day I can open my puffy eyes. Only after a
while. Polly

news