Airbrushing glaze

Old February 4th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tass

Default Airbrushing glaze

I am actually a ceramicist but decided to post here because this questions
would apply to pottery as well as ceramics. I have always be told "not to
airbrush" glazes as it is a dangerous process due to the frit and chemicals
in the glazes. Is this indeed an unhealthy practice and could it be OK with
a proper respirator? Thanks so much.

Old February 4th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:52:38 GMT, "Tass" wrote:

I am actually a ceramicist but decided to post here because this questions
would apply to pottery as well as ceramics. I have always be told "not to
airbrush" glazes as it is a dangerous process due to the frit and chemicals
in the glazes. Is this indeed an unhealthy practice and could it be OK with
a proper respirator? Thanks so much.

A lot of potters airbrush glazes. Yes, you do need to take
precautions, mostly due to the silica in the glaze. (Modern
glazes *should* be free of most toxics like lead and barium,
but you need to check yours. Alas, many still have manganese
and some other less-than-friendly ingredients.)

Ideally, you should have a regular spray booth that pulls
the overspray away from you and exhausts (filtered)
outside the building. Note that it's not enough to just
wear a respirator when spraying if the overspray is
going to get turned into airborne dust later.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old February 4th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
sacredclay

On Feb 4, 10:52 am, (Bob Masta) wrote:
[...]

I agree one hundred percent with you on that one, Bob. Even if the
person doesn't own a spray booth, I would do the spray painting
outdoor with a respirator mask. One's health is not something to screw
around with and it will boomerang back on you. Warmly, Kathryn in NC.

Old April 7th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Tass[_2_]

Thanks so much for your replies. Sometimes I think I may be too
cautious...NOT. Thanks Tass
oups.com...

Old April 8th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
moose hunter

In article jjVRh.43127$aG1.466@pd7urf3no, says...
[...]

one note however-- always use a mask, silca is a nasty nasty thing and
its in all glazes .. even the "non toxic" ones..

for Cadnium reds, cadnium yellows and leaded glazes, use a chemical
respirator, disposable nitril gloves, and a apron you can wash. cadnium
is mucho nasty stuff, and lead isnt good at all for kids.. if you have
kids at home, i would not do any airbrushing of leaded glazes at all,
paint booth or not. the particles are pernicious and you can
contaminate everything you touch with lead, if your not careful.

other glaze chenimals-- Ferric oxid is fine, in solutuiion, it will
start rust spots on unprotected metal-- and holes in cotton . DO NOT USE
ferric cloride for anything unless you are in a industrial setting and
have used it before- its bad news... ( it will eat hole in your skin on
contact).

one of the basic glaze techniques, salt glazing. is very nasty as well.
it seems on the outset to be innoucous, but in the firing process, the
salt (sodium cloride) reacts with the silca in the clay to form a sodium
silicate, and releasing Clorine gas witch is a immediate health hazard.
(clorie gas was used in WWI as a weapon) soda firng is a good
alternative, though there is still a place for slat firing, but not in a
home setting .

read and understand the MSDS for the chemicals you are using.
(www.msds.gov) stay safe, use more health protection that you think you
might need,,

remember , professional potters in history had relativly short lives,
due largly on the hard work, and the nasty chemicals they delt with on a
daily basis...

Disposing of Glazes anna Pottery 5 November 21st 06 03:54 AM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM