CAUTION: power outage DANGER!

Old December 6th 03, 04:30 AM
Kitty Fluff

Default CAUTION: power outage DANGER!

The following is from "A Great Notion Newsletter" ) which I thought was pretty timely:

Keith's Tech Tip

Hi There

I've got a simple tip for you this month. Now that winter is here, it'
storm season and we've sure been having our share here on the finall
wet coast this season! With storms come power failures, and th
possibility of power surges. Make sure that your sewing machines an
sergers are plugged into certified surge protected power bars - not jus
the inexpensive power bars that you can buy everywhere, but the one
that actually guarantee that they will prevent damage from a powe
surge. We just had a customer in whose entire community was hit an
every appliance with any kind of computer board in it in the whol
neighbourhood that was not plugged into a surge protector was ruined
Not what you want for your precious sewing machines I'm sure. Thi
advice goes for televisions, stereos, DVD players and more. Protect you
equipment with one of these surge protectors to prolong their lives

Never even thought of my sewing machines....whoa

Becky :santa

-
Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old December 7th 03, 01:45 AM
w_tom

Be interested in protection that is effective; that actually
claim to provide that protection. Plug-in protectors don't
even claim protection from a typically destructive transient.
They claim protection only from a type of surge that does not
typically exist. And word that claim so that others 'feel' it
is effective protection from all types of transients. Even
worse, they cost tens of times more money per protected
appliance. Effective protection for sewing machines and
everything else was discussed in the alt.sewing newsgroup on
15 May 2001:
http://tinyurl.com/y28r and http://tinyurl.com/y29f

Those plug-in protectors don't guarantee to protect. They
guarantee that IF you meet a long list of restricted (fine
print) details and suffer damage, then they will pay for a
fraction of the replacement cost. How surge protectors work
was summarized in http://tinyurl.com/l3m9 . How that
warranty is so often not honored is posted in
http://tinyurl.com/p1rk .

Effective surge protector is sold in Home Depot as
Intermatic EG240RC or IG1240RC or Siemens QSA2020. It is
necessary and actually does protect sewing machine, TV,
stereo, etc.

At maybe $1 per protected appliance, then effective 'whole
house' protector can be installed that also protects
dishwasher, clock radio, GFCIs in kitchen and bathroom, dimmer
switches, etc. Idea is to earth a transient before it can
enter the building. Plug-in protector simply forget to
mention any of this to sell their overpriced and ineffective
products. A surge protector is only as effective as its earth
ground - which plug-in protector forget to mention to make the
sale.

Kitty Fluff wrote:
The following is from "A Great Notion Newsletter" ) which I thought was pretty timely:
Keith's Tech Tip:

Hi The

I've got a simple tip for you this month. Now that winter is here,
it's storm season and we've sure been having our share here on the
finally wet coast this season! With storms come power failures, and
the possibility of power surges. Make sure that your sewing machines
and sergers are plugged into certified surge protected power bars -
not just the inexpensive power bars that you can buy everywhere,
but the ones that actually guarantee that they will prevent damage
from a power surge. We just had a customer in whose entire community
was hit and every appliance with any kind of computer board in it in
the whole neighbourhood that was not plugged into a surge protector
was ruined! Not what you want for your precious sewing machines I'm
sure. This advice goes for televisions, stereos, DVD players and
more. Protect your equipment with one of these surge protectors to

Old December 10th 03, 01:51 AM
CW

I think my 401 is safe (that's my newest one).

"Kitty Fluff" wrote in message
om...
The following is from "A Great Notion Newsletter"

) which I thought was pretty timely:

Keith's Tech Tip:

Hi The

I've got a simple tip for you this month. Now that winter is here, it's
storm season and we've sure been having our share here on the finally
wet coast this season! With storms come power failures, and the
possibility of power surges. Make sure that your sewing machines and
sergers are plugged into certified surge protected power bars - not just
the inexpensive power bars that you can buy everywhere, but the ones
that actually guarantee that they will prevent damage from a power
surge. We just had a customer in whose entire community was hit and
every appliance with any kind of computer board in it in the whole
neighbourhood that was not plugged into a surge protector was ruined!
Not what you want for your precious sewing machines I'm sure. This

--
Kitty Fluff

Old December 10th 03, 01:53 AM
CW

The electric troll strikes again.

Kitty Fluff wrote:
[...]

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
OT - Hey, Tink, power outage Beads1947 Beads 1 August 17th 03 12:56 AM