sewing machines, not for quilting

Old January 16th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default sewing machines, not for quilting

I would stick with a dealer as they usually do better on things like
maintenance (in house that is)
but then we don't have a Joanne's here so I can't comment on them.

I personally have a Janome 419S a non computerised machine with all the
stitches you need for mending as well as a semi automatic buttonhole and a
blind hem stitch. the other day I managed to sew through: 8 layers of
fabric, 2 layers of batting *and* 4 layers of extra strong interfacing and
ended up with a nice bag :-D and 2 years ago it survived falling off the
table onto the floor with just a cracked case and the back stitch lever lost
a thingy that was easily fixed

NAYY (wish I was though.. I'd love one of the bigger machines for quilting
BEG)
--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Nearby dealers include Janome, White, Husqvarna, Viking.

Any thoughts on brands? Or Joann's vs other dealers?

She has tried a couple of models of each of the above, and does have
some she likes better than others. But I offered to check with you
folks, since I only know one brand, and you all have wide experience.

TIA!

Martha