machine question: janome mc 6500 or husqvarna platinum??

Old January 14th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default machine question: janome mc 6500 or husqvarna platinum??

Hi everyone,

I've been getting frustrated with my sewing machine lately since I do a
lot of detail work with landscape (applique) wall hangings. My
ultimate goal is freemotion thread painting. I would like to purchase
a quilt frame in the next year but I'll need a machine to use with it.

The dilemma: I bought a Husqvarna Viking Platinum 750 Quilt last May
(2005) and I've decided that it does not have enough workspace for my
use. In addition, I can't seem to get a consistent freemotion stitch
with this machine--but I could do a decent job with a cheaper
mechanical Janome I have. When I approached my dealer about a
trade-in, this machine had to go toward the MSRP of a $3,000 machine,
which would mean paying another $1500 plus the cost of replacing the
add-a-table, walking foot, and freemotion/darning feet since the dealer
wants that all back too. In the end, I'd have to buy a HV Designer II
or Mega Quilt + Inspira Frame. Since the MegaQuilter is only a
straight stitch machine (that I discovered is made by Janome) I thought
I'd consider a Janome instead. I found that the Janome MC 6500 would
meet all my needs and then I could purchase a frame later when I can
afford one. I tried one at another dealer and liked how it functioned
and was able to get a nice freemotion stitch without optimal
conditions. I would have to sell my Husqvarna on ebay first to pay for
it.

My question is this: Is it worth the hassle to sell my current machine
and buy the Janome MC 6500? Does anyone have one--what are your
experiences? What is your opinion of the HV Platinum 750? Any
experiences with machine quality and mechanical problems? Each dealer
bashes the other brand, so I'm not sure who to believe as far as which
machine is the best on the market.

Your input is greatly appreciated--

Renee

Old January 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Wren" wrote in message
ups.com...

My question is this: Is it worth the hassle to sell my current machine
and buy the Janome MC 6500? Does anyone have one--what are your
experiences? What is your opinion of the HV Platinum 750? Any
experiences with machine quality and mechanical problems? Each dealer
bashes the other brand, so I'm not sure who to believe as far as which
machine is the best on the market.

Your input is greatly appreciated--

Renee

Renee, I bought a Janome 6500 a couple of years ago. Last year, when the
Bernina 440's came out, I *really* wanted the BSR, and considered selling my
Janome to put toward the cost. In the end, I couldn't. I like a lot of the
features of the 6500 -- it is a great machine, and, like you, I hope to get
a frame in the future, and I can't imagine a better machine to work with it.

JHMO, and YMMV

Sheila

Old January 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Renee, I have the Janome 6500 and I love it. I am by no means a very
accomplished quilter, but every thing I've used on the machine is great.
My friend has the same machine and does very nice FMQ. I paid $1,090 a
year and a half ago. It came with many feet, including a walking foot
and acrylic table.

Denise

Old January 15th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I would love the Janome 6500! I have seriously considered selling my Viking
Rose... but the hassle of it and the additional money stops me ( or at
least, keeps me from buying it RIGHT NOW!). I can't get a decent FM stitch
on my Rose, so I use an old Singer 15-125 for my machine quilting. Because
of the problems I've had with this machine, and the attitude of the dealer,
I wouldn't buy another Viking. I won't even look at the Mega-Viking thing.

Ok, I didn't actually answer your question... but that's usenet for you! LOL

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
ups.com...

Old January 15th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have the Husqvarna Viking Platinum 770, which I have used to make
approximately 14 quilts doing free motion (meandering) using a Flynn frame.
I have gotten pretty good at the meandering with the frame, even though I
dislike every moment of the quilting part. I have had one quilt that was too
thick (due to extra thick batting) that wouldn't fit under the arm, so I
loaded the frame backwards and quilted the last third that way. Definitely
not fun, but it can be done.

Trixie

Old January 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Renee,

I have a Janome 6500 which I love. I haven't done any actual quilting on it
as yet, however, so can't comment on that. I can tell you two things though.
1. There is now a 6600 which has a built in Dual Feed Foot, start/stop
button and extra light.
2. There is a yahoo group set up specifically for those who have or are
interested in a Janome 6500/6600. It is full of very knowledgeable people
who have used the machines for quilting and some also on frames. Try
checking it out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500 .

Hope that helps.
--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Wren" wrote

Old January 15th 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a Janome 6500, and I love it.
There are several people who have one, on here, so you will get a good
response. Mine has, so far, done everything I ask of it. There is no
stitch regular for free-motion quilting, but I have found it relatively
easy to get a good rhythm going at its medium speed. I love the speed
variations, the numerous needle positions and the delicacy of the foot
control. I traded in a medium level Husqvarna to buy my Janome.
The machine is very heavy, so a lot of it must be made of metal! The
only thing I don't much like on it is the lighting. It is either too
weak, or in slightly the wrong place? I just use a supplementary
daylight lamp, and things are just fine.
..
In message . com, Wren
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 16th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Denise,

I'm in NH as well...if you don't mind my asking, where did you buy your
machine and how did you like the dealer? You can write me off list if
you prefer.

Thanks for your input,

Renee

Old January 16th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. They have made me feel much better about
my instincts in regards to the 6500. I hate to ebay my HV and lose
money on it in less than a year from purchase, but I have grown to hate
the topstitching. I love to create my wall hangings but really dread
the quilting--that's not the way it should be.

All the best,

Renee

Old January 16th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Consider looking into www.sewingrummage.com (hope that's the right link) or
signing up to teh yahoo group Quilter's Trading Network (again, I hope
that's the right name!) instead of going thru eBay. Or even, see if your LQS
will let you post a For Sale notice. If you are in a guild, you could
advertise in the newsletter - a local sale lets you avoid shipping it.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Wren" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. They have made me feel much better about
my instincts in regards to the 6500. I hate to ebay my HV and lose
money on it in less than a year from purchase, but I have grown to hate
the topstitching. I love to create my wall hangings but really dread
the quilting--that's not the way it should be.

All the best,

Renee

For Sale: Janome / Kenmore Sewing & EMBROIDERY Machine 19001 w/ Reader / Writer box SewFunSewCrazy Sewing 14 May 3rd 20 03:00 AM
FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 01:30 AM
RCTQ FAQ Nov 2005 frood Quilting 3 November 6th 05 09:22 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM