45 thimbles...

Old August 20th 05, 09:17 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default 45 thimbles...

I am 45 thimbles richer than I was on Thursday. On Thursday, Naga
proudly delivered the little surprise he had been keeping in his
wardrobe in Bruar..... he had been to a gala festival in Blair Atholl,
ran into a vendor selling thimbles, and proceeded to buy the lot! He
said he knew I was collecting thimbles (I have a wooden one, a metal
replica of a Roman one, and a ceramic one with the Dundee dragon...)
and so.....
I have thimbles with the old Singer logo on them. I have thimbles
from Spain. I have thimbles from England and Scotland, from Malta and
Majorca. I have thimbles with flowers, thimbles with flags. I have a
plain white thimble. I have enough thimbles to put one on each toe,
each finger and my nose and have some left over.
He doesn't do things by halves!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 20th 05, 09:47 PM
Patti S

Jo
Lucky Lady! What a lovely surprise! I have one thimble, which, oddly
enough, I purchased in Scotland. She's a beauty, made from porcelain
with the scottish thistle hand painted on one side. It was love at first
sight.

Patti in Seattle

Old August 20th 05, 11:01 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

I am 45 thimbles richer than I was on Thursday. On Thursday, Naga
proudly delivered the little surprise he had been keeping in his
wardrobe in Bruar..... he had been to a gala festival in Blair Atholl,
ran into a vendor selling thimbles, and proceeded to buy the lot! He
said he knew I was collecting thimbles (I have a wooden one, a metal
replica of a Roman one, and a ceramic one with the Dundee dragon...)
and so.....
I have thimbles with the old Singer logo on them. I have thimbles
from Spain. I have thimbles from England and Scotland, from Malta and
Majorca. I have thimbles with flowers, thimbles with flags. I have a
plain white thimble. I have enough thimbles to put one on each toe,
each finger and my nose and have some left over.
He doesn't do things by halves!

-- Jo in Scotland

What a fun gift! I bet you're having a great time looking through them
and playing.

Sounds better than a button box even.

marcella
Old August 20th 05, 11:06 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

I am 45 thimbles richer than I was on Thursday. On Thursday, Naga
proudly delivered the little surprise he had been keeping in his
wardrobe in Bruar..... he had been to a gala festival in Blair Atholl,
ran into a vendor selling thimbles, and proceeded to buy the lot! He
said he knew I was collecting thimbles (I have a wooden one, a metal
replica of a Roman one, and a ceramic one with the Dundee dragon...)
and so.....
I have thimbles with the old Singer logo on them. I have thimbles
from Spain. I have thimbles from England and Scotland, from Malta and
Majorca. I have thimbles with flowers, thimbles with flags. I have a
plain white thimble. I have enough thimbles to put one on each toe,
each finger and my nose and have some left over.
He doesn't do things by halves!

-- Jo in Scotland

Wow! Please tell him I'm also collecting thimbles. Is your Roman
replica thimble from Bath? I have one like that from there. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 20th 05, 11:11 PM
Butterfly

And if he finds a third bargain....who has a few from the Land Down Under
and one from the Orient

Butterfly

Old August 20th 05, 11:29 PM
Sharon Harper

You lucky ducky! I went through a stage of collecting Cherished Teddies
(little statues of named teddy bears) and I'm up to about crikey, way too
many. Most of them have special meaning (they are mostly named after family
members or people who have affected my life in one way or another). I
looked and thought about selling some of them but they aren't fetching
anywhere near what I paid for them so they will stay with me and I'll have
to find somewhere else to spread my Westminster China collection to. And
I'd love to start on thimbles. DH has a "shot" glass collection.

quicker)

Old August 21st 05, 04:23 AM
Polly Esther

How very precious, Johanna, that he brought you something and gave it such
thought. Oh my. How very dear. Hug him for Aunt Polly.

u...

Old August 21st 05, 04:58 AM
Susan Laity Price

The nice thing about collecting thimbles is that they are small. How
are you going to display them? I have seen special display cases for
thimbles. There is a multilevel wooden base with small pegs on each
level. The thimbles rest on the pegs. The entire stand is covered with
a glass dome. You will have to "run across one" while searching the
web with him in the room. If he is observant enough to buy the
thimbles in the first place I am sure he will see the need for the
case.

Susan

n Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:17:54 +0100, Johanna Gibson

Old August 21st 05, 05:31 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Sharon Harper" wrote:

And
I'd love to start on thimbles. DH has a "shot" glass collection.

Sharon, collecting thimbles has many advantages. G I have only about
150 (I have a friend who is close to 1000!), and they take up so little
space that there's no problem with them at all. I have some wall-hung,
plexiglass-fronted display cabinets for them (very small), so they're in
my sewing room with me. In addition, they take up absolutely no space at
all in luggage when I buy some on various trips or when someone
remembers to bring me one from their travels; most of my thimbles are
from places, rather than just being cute or whatever, though I do have a
few of those, too. G

My collection started accidentally when then 12-year-old DD went on a
school trip and brought me home a souvenir thimble, thinking I could
quilt with it. Sweet, huh? But of course it's too big for my finger,
so I had to explain that it was for collecting instead of for sewing.
Her little face fell, so I quickly told her that I'd been meaning to
begin collecting thimbles. G Then I had to prove it! So that summer,
when I took a group of my students to Europe, they were all on the
lookout for thimbles for me, and I came home with about a dozen! LOL! DD
was delighted!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Wax question, was thimbles and needles Dave Daniels Quilting 15 March 1st 05 08:42 PM
Trading Thimbles Amberinauburn Quilting 0 July 22nd 04 05:39 AM
Various quilting thimbles & such Jiminy Quilting 25 July 18th 04 03:54 AM
O T Thimbles Amberinauburn Needlework 9 July 1st 04 06:00 PM
TJ Lane Thimbles frood Quilting 2 September 1st 03 04:30 PM