Dress Pattern Search....

Old April 28th 05, 08:33 AM
Sher

You may have to try it more than once, and reload the page. Thanks.
for all your help!!! I'm buying those two patterns now- They are so
close it's amazing! I want this dress as my wedding dress or
bridesmaid dress. What fabric do you recommend? Do you think it's too
plain and ordinary to be a wedding dress? Thanks again for your help!
Sher

Old April 28th 05, 10:18 AM
Kate Dicey

Sher wrote:

You may have to try it more than once, and reload the page. Thanks.
for all your help!!! I'm buying those two patterns now- They are so
close it's amazing! I want this dress as my wedding dress or
bridesmaid dress. What fabric do you recommend? Do you think it's too
plain and ordinary to be a wedding dress? Thanks again for your help!
Sher

Real silk satin! Duchesse or Slipper (very heavy - what ballet
slippers are made of!) might do nicely.

And no, it's NOT too plain. Try coupling it with a lace or embroidered
veil and some bright flowers, and you will look stunning. I like it far
better than some of the meringue wedding dresses you see!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 28th 05, 01:27 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered
Real silk satin! Duchesse or Slipper (very heavy - what ballet
slippers are made of!) might do nicely.

And no, it's NOT too plain. Try coupling it with a lace or embroidered
veil and some bright flowers, and you will look stunning. I like it
far better than some of the meringue wedding dresses you see!

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. It's your day. Your frock, and you
deserve it. A silk georgette would be nicely slinky and drapey too.
Please, for goodness sake don't pick that tacky polyester crepe-backed
satin.
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old April 28th 05, 03:46 PM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:
In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Real silk satin! Duchesse or Slipper (very heavy - what ballet
slippers are made of!) might do nicely.

And no, it's NOT too plain. Try coupling it with a lace or
embroidered veil and some bright flowers, and you will look stunning.
I like it far better than some of the meringue wedding dresses you see!

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. It's your day. Your frock, and you
deserve it. A silk georgette would be nicely slinky and drapey too.
Please, for goodness sake don't pick that tacky polyester crepe-backed
satin.

NOnonononononNO! NOT poly ANYTHING!

AJH and I are conducting a War On Poly Satin! While it has its uses,
it's truly horrible to sew!

Anyway, some silk is cheaper than all but the cheapest and most evil
poly satin!

Old April 28th 05, 05:54 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Anyway, some silk is cheaper than all but the cheapest and most evil
poly satin!

It is indeed - and

smug
guess who got to go to Bombay Stores to spend the boss's money
yesterday?
/smug

Mind you, it took them thick end of an hour and a half to sort the
(preordered!) stuff out, and then there was a row over paying for it on
the shop account - which is used several times per week but which they
mysteriously had no recollection of ... argument finally settled by my
yelling "Please speak in English and stop being so rude". OK, so my Urdu
is dodgy and the accent weird, but they got the point.

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old April 28th 05, 07:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sher:
The dress will be delightful for a wedding dress.
It is elegant and feminine. You could use some
sort of pearl chain for the straps, and pick up
the same trim on a pill box type head piece. Maybe
have one of those fountain style veils coming from
the pill box. Strappy shoes. Ordinary? No.
Good Luck. PAT

Old April 28th 05, 09:57 PM
BEI Design

On Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:39 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Sherry Ellison - Mary Kay sherryjellison at hotmail.com wrote:

thanks for your email! I appreciate it so much. I know
nothing about these things. My mother sews (but not very much
anymore), and I knew it could be done, but I wanted her to have
a pattern to start with.

Caution: the style you are hoping to replicate is *not* a
"fast-and-easy" or "simple-to-do" sort of style. Especially if you
choose to go with bias cut, there are *huge* issues with fit, drape,
and so on. For a once-in-a-lifetime gown, you should seek out a
professional. I'm sure Mom would understand, and maybe even be
relieved.

If you are in the U.S., a good place to start would be:
http://www.paccprofessionals.org/clo...hiersMain.html

About these fabrics you recommended...

.........Silk-like Crepe, Charmeuse, Tissue Faille, Crepe Back
Satin, Soft Faille, Matte Jersey, Crepe de Chine... I would
certainly tend toward very soft, with wonderful drape, low
luster.
Do you think the dress has a lining? Will it be better to use a
stretch fabric or one with no "give"?

The description for Vogue 8076
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=20003&page=1
which I think comes the closest to the style you want, says
"Close-fitting, lined dress has raised waist, flared bias skirt with
godets and back zipper." So, yes lined.

Vogue 7996
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=20003&page=3
would need modification to the skirt. The description says "
Close-fitting, knee-length dress has empire waistline, sleeve
variations and back zipper." so it probably is not lined, but for a
white or off-white wedding gown I sure would line the entire dress
rather than use facings.

The skirt on Vogue 7850
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...I=20003&page=4
would make a great substitution for the either of the above patterns,
and its description says "Partially lined, ...bias mid-calf or floor
length flared skirt." You'd have to look at the pattern to find out
what part is "partially lined".

For fabric type, look on the back of the patterns, they will provide
fairly specific recommendations. IMHO, stretch wouldn't be first
choice for a wedding gown. One of those does have a fabric
recommendation for "matte jersey", but I don't think that is suitable
for a wedding gown. I DO think bias would be gorgeous, but avoid if
you have figure flaws.

Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome, good luck and post pictures if you can.
--
Beverly E. Ickes
BEI Designs

Old April 28th 05, 10:56 PM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Anyway, some silk is cheaper than all but the cheapest and most evil
poly satin!

It is indeed - and

smug
guess who got to go to Bombay Stores to spend the boss's money yesterday?
/smug

Yay!

Mind you, it took them thick end of an hour and a half to sort the
(preordered!) stuff out, and then there was a row over paying for it on
the shop account - which is used several times per week but which they
mysteriously had no recollection of ... argument finally settled by my
yelling "Please speak in English and stop being so rude". OK, so my Urdu
is dodgy and the accent weird, but they got the point.

Musta caught someone on a bad day - they are usually really on the ball
about that sort of thing.
Old April 29th 05, 06:56 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

I've been looking through the pattern books and I'm sure that I saw that
particular dress in one of the prom/special occasion patterns of either
Simplicity, McCall's or Burda. (I have a sneaking suspicion that it might
be #5278 which was just recently discontinued.) There are several similar
ones in the books that you could merge. One thing that I have found with
most Vogue patterns is that they assume you have a model's proportions and
usually are a dickens to alter 'above the waist' - which is where women vary
the most!
I'd have the dress for your wedding dress and use a pattern like Simplicity
5672 for the bridesmaids.
Cynthia
oups.com...

Old April 29th 05, 11:16 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered
Musta caught someone on a bad day - they are usually really on the ball
about that sort of thing.

All the usual people seem to be missing at the moment - either ill or on
hols - it was a bit of a pantomime when we sent Mart to pick up some
stuff the other week too.
--
AJH
no email address supplied