Gift fabric

Old September 16th 04, 03:03 AM
Kathleen

dnmgiordano wrote:
snip
But then I
have some ugly silver stuff. I hate to throw it in the garbage but
honestly, what can you do with it?

Stitch it up into a suit of armor for your dog to wear in the Mystic
Krewe of Barkus Pet Parade during Mardi Gras.

http://www.explorestlouis.com/eNewsVis/0203/barkus.asp

If you go, don't miss the Weiner Dog Derby. The Drag Races are also a
sight worth seeing, although maybe not in the company of young children.

"Mom, why does that lady have such a big adam's apple?"

Kathleen Hansen
Z-Control Skid Boots
Leg armor for gonzo dogs!
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

Old September 16th 04, 04:28 AM
dnmgiordano

Stitch it up into a suit of armor for your dog to wear in the Mystic
Krewe of Barkus Pet Parade during Mardi Gras.

http://www.explorestlouis.com/eNewsVis/0203/barkus.asp

If you go, don't miss the Weiner Dog Derby. The Drag Races are also a
sight worth seeing, although maybe not in the company of young children.

"Mom, why does that lady have such a big adam's apple?"

Kathleen Hansen

OH to live in a city with something going on instead of nowhereville
Saskatchewan!
OH to have a dog! (I have a bunny, but he wouldn't like dressing up!)

Michelle Giordano

Old September 16th 04, 08:33 AM
Tom Farrell

Kathleen wrote in message news:

If you go, don't miss the Weiner Dog Derby. The Drag Races are also a
sight worth seeing, although maybe not in the company of young children.

"Mom, why does that lady have such a big adam's apple?"

Precisely how do people in drag harm young children?

Tom Farrell
http://www.RadicalHomosexualAgenda.com/
Old September 16th 04, 01:33 PM
Kathleen

Tom Farrell wrote:

Kathleen wrote in message news:

If you go, don't miss the Weiner Dog Derby. The Drag Races are also a
sight worth seeing, although maybe not in the company of young children.

"Mom, why does that lady have such a big adam's apple?"

Precisely how do people in drag harm young children?

By setting a terrible example. I've always taught my kids that it's
DANGEROUS to run in high heels.

Seriously, though, it's the where and when of the drag races...
Whe At the bawdier end of the festival venue
When: At the drunker part of the day
It's not the racers themselves that are the problem (usually), it's the
inebriated frat boys peeing in alleys, and the boobie-baring bead hounds
that worry me.

Old September 16th 04, 01:40 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (Tom Farrell)

Precisely how do people in drag harm young children?

At the parades in News Orleans during Carnivale (The Oueen's Parade and The
Drag Races), it's not the people in drag that a parent needs to be worried
about. It's the people in the "other" costumes that can cause a problem. If
you've never been to Carnivale (aka Mardi Gras) in New Orleans, you have NO
idea what the original poster is talking about :-).
The following costume descriptions are a bit graphic and descriptive so if
you are easily embarassed, stop reading now :-). The "other" costumes include
people dressed as giant, full color, anatomically correct penises with
hydraulics and a water resorvoir (sp) inside the costume. They can make the
penis grow erect or be a bit more flaccid. Then they can squirt jets of foamy
water at the onlookers. There are people in all sorts of more reguar type
costumes but with giant 3 foot penise in vivid natural color strapped to their
groins. These are the more "sedate" types of graphic costumes!!!
Now, this is OK for the grownups but I don't really think children need to
be seeing these types of costumes. I'm the furthest thing from a prude so I am
not saying this because I think it's"dirty" or nasty -- it's just a bit more
"in your face" than what most parents want their kids exposed to.
So, if the parade participants were just dressed in drag -- regular or
costumes -- it would be OK for all ages. It's those "other" more suggestive
costumes that are part and parcel of Carnivale in New Orleans that can be a bit
troublesome for parents. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 16th 04, 02:04 PM
mike & pauline

Tom,
When I moved I was given the evil eye by my DH to get rid of some of my
stash because one whole trip with the moving truck was for "the sewing
room", lol. I digress....
I gave a lot of fabric to the local senior centers. They make items,
sell them during the year and use that money to hire buses to go on day
trips.
I was given boxes of buttons, zippers and tapes when a local
manufacturer went out of business and I still have some of that, lol.
Working in a local fabric store for 15 years didn't bring home a
paycheck, but rather, all kinds of fabrics that I have been using lately
in my quilts. It's really nice to be sewing at 2 a.m. and literally
shop at home, lol

Tom Farrell wrote:

People keep giving me fabric.

Old September 16th 04, 02:30 PM
CNYstitcher

Had to check out that site...my uncle would have probably bought 1 or
more of everything! LOL He was a wonderful man and i miss him very
much....I also miss my uncle Johnny...what harm did they, or any of
their friends do to me?? Not a damn thing! Oh, my real uncle and my
uncle johnny weren't into drag, but their friends were...they thought it
would freak me out, but I just was concerned that they had difficulty
finding clothes that fit (hey, I *do* sew!).

Larisa

Old September 16th 04, 06:47 PM
Marilyn

Tom Farrell wrote:

Kathleen wrote in message news:

If you go, don't miss the Weiner Dog Derby. The Drag Races are also a
sight worth seeing, although maybe not in the company of young children.

"Mom, why does that lady have such a big adam's apple?"

Precisely how do people in drag harm young children?

Tom Farrell
http://www.RadicalHomosexualAgenda.com/

By making them want to wear pretty high heels too?

Background info: I sometimes covet pretty high heels but find that I'm
actually an Earth Shoe person and I'm fighting destiny.

Marilyn (who would go barefoot for more of the year but the Minnesota
climate works against it)

Old September 17th 04, 07:41 AM
Tom Farrell

Kathleen wrote:
Tom Farrell wrote:

Precisely how do people in drag harm young children?

By setting a terrible example. I've always taught my kids that it's
DANGEROUS to run in high heels.

LOL.

Glad to hear you have good reasons. You'd be surprised how many times
I've had mothers cover their childrens eyes when I walked by holding
hands with my boyfriend (when I've had one). I was once thrown out of
a hotel lobby for kissing a male friend good-bye, and the excuse the
hotel gave was that we were "scaring the children". It was the most
offensive thing anyone ever said to me. So, I hope you'll forgive me
for having jumped down your throat, and understand how your comment
could be misinterpreted.

Seriously, though, it's the where and when of the drag races...
Whe At the bawdier end of the festival venue

Well, that wouldn't bother me...

When: At the drunker part of the day

On the other hand, I can understand where drunks would be a safety
concern with kids around.

It's not the racers themselves that are the problem (usually), it's the
inebriated frat boys peeing in alleys, and the boobie-baring bead hounds
that worry me.

Peeing in alleys is a daily reality in most big cities... boobies are
real (they're a kind of bird, actually, but I don't think that's what
you meant) and kids will have to get used to their existence sooner or
later... but mean drunks are something to worry about.

Tom
Old September 18th 04, 04:24 PM
Olwynmary

If you've never been to Carnivale (aka Mardi Gras) in New Orleans, you have NO
idea what the original poster is talking about :-).

Oh WOW, Tia Mary, I LIVE right here in N.O., but I have never seen a costume
like that!!!! OTOH, during Carnival we stay out of the French Quarter, being
as how it is usually jampacked with drunken frat boys and their equally drunk
girl friends.

We watch the parades (and keep open house for all our friends) on St. Charles
Avenue, which (a) is one block from our house, and (b) has a "family"
atmosphere. BTW, we have lots of friends who happen to be gay, but none of them
indulges in "that" kind of behavior, either. At least, not in public!! I have
on several occasions been much more offended by the behavior of some "straight"
people than by that of my Gay friends.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Fabric collections for sale on Ebay Kristi M. Sewing 17 February 21st 04 05:34 PM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM