Machine quilting progress

Old April 7th 04, 06:31 AM
Ann

Default Machine quilting progress

Just a bit of an update on my machine quilting progress
I took a machine quilting class in Feb. March was very hectic so last
weekend I organized myself. Made space in our rumpus room, cleaned off our
large desk and added my spare kitchen table to make a large work space and
pulled out my weaver fever quilt that was all ready to go.

Sunday evening I started in the centre, of my generous double size quilt.
I'm not confident with motifs yet so going to stipple Was pretty tough
going the first couple of bobbins. I had spend a good hour earlier
practising but the quilt is much bigger. I kept forgetting to relax so my
shoulders were pretty tensed when I called it a night.

Monday morning I"m back at it. By now I've reached out to the sides a bit
more and things went much better. I was quite enjoying myself and my
progress and by Monday evening I was 2/3 done.

I have a large work space, my tension was good, no puckers on the backing.
About the only thing I need to work on is my stitching lengths as I meader
along. they vary and I hope that will come with practise.

All in all I'm very pleased with my first project and just wanted to share.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old April 7th 04, 01:33 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Ann, I'm glad you finally got to stippling, I need to get into that also,
have practiced on 1 12" square, have a couple others, but didn't realize to
relax, I should have known that, cuz quilting is a fun craft for me, but i
did notice when i did the practice stippling, that my shoulders were a
little tense, and maybe that was my problem. You've given me incentive to
try it again.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

:

Old April 7th 04, 01:53 PM
Becky

Hi Ann,

You will probably discover that it is easier to keep your sitch length
consistant when you are following the lines of a motif than when you are
doing stippling, believe it or not. And I find it just as easy to follow a
line as it is to stipple, because the pathway has already been determined
and you just have to follow it, no decisions about which way to go next!

Becky

Old April 7th 04, 03:03 PM
Ann

Mary all you need is a free motion foot attachment for your machine.
My sewing machine is 30 years old and I bought a generic brand foot and away
I went!!
You can too

Old April 7th 04, 03:11 PM
Ann

Good point Becky. Maybe my next project I'll tackle the motifs. I do find
myself straying away or crossing lines a bit but I thought with just
learning, motifs might look very "beginner-ish".....until I practise more on
that area.

Old April 7th 04, 03:23 PM
Mary in Oregon

Thanks again.... I will be checking it out this week.... probably tomorrow
since I have to go to town anyway.

--
Mary