OT - candy making

Old December 21st 03, 05:31 AM
frood

Default OT - candy making

I spent at least 4 hours candy making today, with pretty good success. I did
have a hard time with the white chocolate in the Black and White truffles,
tho. Anybody know of a candy making newsgroup where I can get advice? It has
been a long time since I've made truffles, so I'm a bit out of practice.

DD#1 helped me, and that did make the job much easier. We made 65-70
truffles, 160+ caramels (one 8x8 square pan), gingerbread fudge, snow crunch
(a bark confection with white chocolate and cocoa crisp cereal of my own
invention) and a bunch (I haven't counted yet) molded chocolates.

These candies will be delivered to the neighbors tomorrow, by darling
children with Santa hats. I haven't made any cookies yet this year, but
whatever we make will be for us. Last year the kids complained that I gave
away all the cookies and they didn't get any! I did make enough candy that
we will keep a bunch. I think the caramel turned out the best. It is a
fairly soft caramel, and it doesn't stick to your teeth! ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old December 21st 03, 05:31 AM
Sharon Harper

Now you talking! Where is the caramels recipe????? Please??

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

.com...

Old December 21st 03, 12:37 PM
Polly Esther

Put me on the list. I'll be happy to have a bag of switches and lumps of
coal if they can be delivered by darling children in Santa hats. What a
loving idea. I hope you have batteries in the camera. This is a precious
moment. Polly

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
Now you talking! Where is the caramels recipe????? Please??

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

.com...

Old December 21st 03, 02:01 PM
Jan Dunaway

yum!! stash and candy raid coming on....

Jan ;-)

Old December 21st 03, 02:18 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
MMMMMmmmmmm!
It will be delightful to see the little darlings on my doorstep,
and your little Santas in their caps, too. VBG
Ragmop/Sandy--I've been such a good quilter this year...

.com...

Old December 21st 03, 04:25 PM
frood

Right. I've added you and Sharon and Jan to the list. Oh, and a bunch of
switches and coal for Polly, delivered by darling children in Santa hats.
;-)

--

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
MMMMMmmmmmm!
It will be delightful to see the little darlings on my doorstep,
and your little Santas in their caps, too. VBG
Ragmop/Sandy--I've been such a good quilter this year...

.com...

Old December 21st 03, 06:29 PM
Butterfly

Would you please send them with Christmas Cookies? I am NOT gong to get any
made this year ; (
Thanks
Butterfly
.com...

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
MMMMMmmmmmm!
It will be delightful to see the little darlings on my doorstep,
and your little Santas in their caps, too. VBG
Ragmop/Sandy--I've been such a good quilter this year...

.com...

Old December 21st 03, 10:15 PM
frood

Oh, the recipe! I forgot you said you wanted that! Here it is:

This is from Candymaking by Kendrick & Atkinson. This book has lots of easy
recipes, easy to follow instructions, and scrumptious pictures! These are US
measurements and ingredients.

Soft Caramels
2 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk
2 c. corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
1/2 c. water
2. c. sugar
1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut in pieces
The finished caramels can be dipped in tempered chocolate if desired. I did
not do this step.

Butter a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside. (I recommend lining in foil
or parchment, then buttering that. It was a Herculean effort getting the
caramel out of the pan.) In a 1-qt saucepan, combine cream and condensed
milk. Place over low heat and let warm, but do not allow to boil while
cooking sugar. In a 4-qt heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, water and
sugar. Place over high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
If sugar crystals are present on the sides of the pan, wash down the sides
with a pastry brush dipped in water.

Once sugar is dissolved, clip on a candy thermometer. Reduce heat to medium.
Bring to a boil and cook to 250F (120C) or hard-ball stage. Stir in butter
and warm cream-milk mixture. Temperature will decrease. Stir constantly, and
continue cooking over med. heat until it reaches 244F (120C) or firm-ball
stage. Pour into prepared pan and cool overnight. Cover with a tea towel,
not foil or paper as moisture will ruin the caramel if trapped inside.

Do not scrape out the caramel from the pan into the rest of the mixture. You
can scrape it out onto wax paper and eat when it cools, but it will be a
different texture and consistancy from the main batch, due to the higher
heat on the bottom of the saucepan. Resist temptation to cut caramels until
they have rested for 24 hours. It will be much easier and less sticky to
cut. I cut mine 1"x 1/2" and that makes a nice size caramel. I got something
like 120 from this batch.