Message for animaux

Old January 16th 04, 12:37 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

"teacher" colleges

Art teachers
Music teachers
Drama teachers

I know my friends who were majoring in Education had to put together various
entertaining programs -- I spent an afternoon helping move a rocket through a
galaxy of snack-size Milky Way bars for a stop-action animation film (and once
we were sure the film came out, the helpers got to eat the props!VBG) We
taught "through", "over", "under", "in front", "behind".

So, even the teacher college may have something of interest, if you can get
invited to the sessions where these audio-visual aids are demonstrated.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 16th 04, 01:54 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/15/04 7:00 PM, in article ,
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Yes, but I can say NO, I don't want my child to attend that program or can
pull him/her out of class if the discussion is something I don't agree with.
The role of public education is to provide the basics - reading, writing,
math, civics, history, science. Not to promote Scientology, Creationism or
fringe topics. And certainly not moral values. It is my responsibility to
educate my children on religious and moral issues - I don't want some one
else to do that or taking away my right to do so. And certain issues don't
belong in school.

And you think visits to a football field are a necessary part of
education?

Have you ever checked to see what goes on at this trip? What do they do? Go
kiss the ground and leave again? I can't imagine the teachers would put up
with it.

Where did the conversation on morals and religion enter my
discussion? I certainly never brought it up.

Sorry that part was uncalled for on my part, but, so is insisting only high
brow culture to be taught.

I agree with you in your above statements. But culture shouldn't be
absent from school . . . it is a part of our "humanities". I'm not an
opera fan. I've tried. But I have enjoyed immensely some "lighter"
operas, and many *heavy* arias. If you don't open up a child's ear, you
lose him forever. These are things that a child has to be surrounded
with from birth. You don't wake up at 16 and decide you like Picasso.

So get involved again!

You are irritating the heck out of me. I TRIED to get involved. For
eight years we BOTH tried valiently. It almost killed us emotionally.
This is a small, backward town. We are outsiders. And I think if I
hear one more time: "then move" I may just lose it.

Then you tried - now forget about it. Find another way you can make a
difference. Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it
drink. Or to put it another way, the village can say no, we don't have need
of your skill.

What you have to do is stop thinking about YOUR situation and understand
that not everywhere in the U.S. is the same. I read your entire post.
I've answered it above. I disagree with you. Your circumstances are
different than mine.

And I think there is more in common than you are willing to see. We're using
tax dollars for the internet at the kindergarten level, not to buy basic
supplies. Your town uses those dollars for something else. We have kids that
aren't learning to read, just like you. We have a drug problem too.

While we're at it: If you don't think it takes a village, and if you
don't think I should have any input, then maybe you don't want my tax
dollars, either.

Actually I don't. I'd prefer to fund schools on a local level. Period, end
of story, no entitlements, no Title One funds, nada. I may be dreaming, but
I think there are too many government mandates, the kind of thing that says
teach what I want the way I say or you don't get the green backs.

No, I said, a child won't see past the pretty picture, the nude lady or the
strange language. And a slide show from a visiting lecturer is more likely
do some good than trip to a museum. After all, you are looking for
appreciation not confusion and distaste.

You

You have a very narrow view, I'm afraid.

No - time in a class room and with a large range of kids. You are out of
touch with all but the narrow range who folks want them to have piano
lessons.

And sport is part of the broad spectrum of culture; you just consider it
beneath you.

No, I don't.

Funny that is how you are coming off.

I figure if the trip to sports venue sparks something - any thing else in
one kid that would not of other wise been sparked the trip is worthwhile. I
can see some little kid getting really psyched over the huge fans the move
the air just as much as getting to walk where their hero plays. You've
sparked an engineer or a scientist. Some kid that gets to play the organ
might get interested in music.

Liberal? No. Centrist, Yes. Basic education? Absolutely. Including
the basics of art, literature, music. A modicum of sports presented in
a healthy, team-spirited intent.

NO, literacy, basic math, science, civics, physical education (like real
exercise) first, art, literature, music, second and only after mastery of
the basics. Sports don't belong in the education system. School sports
breeds corruption of the education system. Team sports belong to another
sphere.

Cheryl

Old January 16th 04, 01:59 AM
Linda D.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:00:39 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

I agree with you in your above statements. But culture shouldn't be
absent from school . . . it is a part of our "humanities". I'm not an
opera fan. I've tried. But I have enjoyed immensely some "lighter"
operas, and many *heavy* arias. If you don't open up a child's ear, you
lose him forever. These are things that a child has to be surrounded
with from birth. You don't wake up at 16 and decide you like Picasso.

Hmm....now IMHO it's the parents who should be exposing the
children to what they feel the children need. I would not be taking
my kids to any operas nor would I be taking them to a museum. We
don't have operas in our city and the museum...well, it's okay I
suppose, and yes, they have visited that with their school.

While we're at it: If you don't think it takes a village, and if you
don't think I should have any input, then maybe you don't want my tax
dollars, either.

Ackkkk....I was waiting for this to come up. I hear this cry
often in our city The seniors don't want to contribute to the
education system, but they want us 'under 65's' to put lots of money
into the health care system they use so much.

The only diamond I have is my mother's and grandmother's put into one
ring. I don't wear designer anything because I refuse to advertise for
them. Who in their right mind wants "Gucci" printed all over their
evening wear?

What does Gucci have to do with diamonds? I don't 'get' that
part

Liberal? No. Centrist, Yes. Basic education? Absolutely. Including
the basics of art, literature, music. A modicum of sports presented in
a healthy, team-spirited intent.

Dianne

Dianne, there is no doubt you have very strong feelings about
the arts, not all of us do. I don't care if my kids ever go to an
opera or read Shakespeare or see a Picasso.

I was quite taken aback at the book my son's English
Instructor chose for them to read in English 116 at college. I don't
know if you've heard of it, but it's called "A Handmaids Tale", Why
would any English teacher assign a book that is so geared to women is
beyond me. What a great way to turn off guys to literature.

take care. Linda
Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old January 16th 04, 02:19 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/15/04 9:37 PM, in article , "Ericka
Kammerer" wrote:

Message for animaux
From: Cheryl Isaak

.... But I will continue to skip the opera - those poor singers can sound
like
they are in such pain. LOL

I am not "into" what I call heavy opera -- Wagner and such. I DO like
light
opera -- Gilbert & Sullivan for instance and just about any type of choral
(sp?) programmes. I'm not sure if my dislike of "heavy opera" is because I
don't understand it (language barriers and all that) or just because it
sounds
so melodramatic. then again, I have never attended any "heavy opera"
performances and that might have something to do with it. I should imagine
if
you can *see* what is going on during the performanc, it would make it more
easily understood and hence be more enjoyable.

Opera tends to be an acquired taste. It's hard to
appreciate opera without doing your homework so that you
understand the story and something about the music itself.
It is *much* easier to understand it if you see the opera
in person. If you do it a few times, you'll start seeing
it in a whole new light. The music isn't as melodramatic
as it might seem from the "outside."

Best wishes,
Ericka

I've read the libretto prior to listening to Aida and Don Juan. My roommate
raved about those two in particular. Stories are interesting enough, I think
I don't have the "ear". And yes, an act from Don Juan live once. Just
doesn't entrance me like some other things do.

Cheryl

Old January 16th 04, 02:26 AM
Texasxsgal1

Thebest way I've found to enjoy opera is with my hearing aid OFF. LOLOL
kathy
san antonio
Old January 16th 04, 02:37 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Old January 16th 04, 02:47 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/15/04 7:16 PM, in article ,
"Karen C - California" wrote:

In article ,
ekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) writes:

Of course, ANY Bugs Bunny or Daffy performance that includes "heavy opera"
IS imminently enjoyable and quite acceptable to my way of thinking :-)))!

Getcher butt out here! At this time of year, with all the rain and dark days,
Looney Tunes Musical Masterpieces is a frequent visitor to the VCR!

Weeeeeetuwwwwn my wuvvvvv!

I'll have to find that one - I have a Tex Avery tape that I adore!

For a fun experience with heavy opera, get The Anna Russell Album. She hits
the highlights of The Ring Cycle in 18 minutes, concluding high pitched,
nasal
voice, British accent "And here you ahhhh, twennnnty-threee
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhrrrs later, RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED!!!!" Thereupon, you
play your serious Ring Cycle CD, and ROFLMAOWTIMEWPIMP because you can't hear
the music without thinking of how she skewered it!

I've heard of it, wonder if it is at the library.

(I'll have to have Mom try to track down MY version of the Ring, including a
bunch of mermaids singing "My beer is Rheingold, the dry beer" and one of the
lovesick wailing "Since my baby left me, I found a new place to dwell, it's
down the end of Lonely Street, the Heartbreak Hotel", while the guy fashioning
the magic ring sings "Take a ring, and add another ring, and add another ring,
and now you've got three rings, Ballantyne!". Hey -- it's a German opera, and
what's more German than beer?)

Oh, Bwunnhiwwwde, you're so wuvwy!
Yes, I know it, I cahn't help it!

Spew!
Cheryl

Old January 16th 04, 02:47 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/15/04 9:26 PM, in article ,
"Texasxsgal1" wrote:

Thebest way I've found to enjoy opera is with my hearing aid OFF. LOLOL
kathy
san antonio

Double spew!
Cheryl