Dollhouse Kit

Old July 30th 03, 04:21 AM
Thomas Mitchell

Default Dollhouse Kit

My wife and I received our first dollhouse kit. We ordered last week
without knowing a lot. We purchased The Orchard by Corona Concepts. I
thought I read here or on a website that most dollhouses are made from
1/4" plywood. This kit is made from 1/8" plywood and I don't recall
seeing that stated on the website when we placed my order. I find the
kit to be rather cheap and that's only after taking out one sheet to
review. I don't want to discouraget the wife so I won't say anything,
but I'm wondering if it's worth the investment in time and money to
decorate and furnish this house. At least the kit is 1:1 scale.

Is there a way to tell when ordering whether a kit is 1/8 or 1/4"
plywood? Are there a few brands that are just well known for quality
that we can make sure to order from?

Thanks
Thomas and Tracie

Old July 30th 03, 11:08 AM
Carol

Actually 3/8" plywood is preferable. It's sturdy and easiest to work with.
The way to know the width is to ask the company before ordering if it's not
stated on the website or ask on this newsgroup. You can also buy from a
dollhouse shop if there's one in your area so you can see the quality before
you buy.
Real Good Toys is a good brand but they are mostly MDF, rather than plywood
(correct me if I'm wrong) and mdf is a bit hard to work with or so I've been
told. Celerity makes nice kits or at least the one I got is nice.
You could have a bit of fun with your new kit. A friend made a Halloween
house from a cheap kit and it's wonderful.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old July 30th 03, 04:48 PM
Carol

It's Celerity not Celebrity. Just don't want you to go off looking for the
wrong thing.
The problem I've heard about MDF is that it's very hard so that putting in
any nails, especially for tapewiring, is difficult.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
I use MDF to make woodworking jigs and other than being messing when
cutting the material, I haven't known it to be had to work with. I
wonder if finishing MDF is difficult? I've seen some items made from MDF
and they look nice painted. Too early in the morning for me. I read 3/8"
and was thinking that was less than 1/4". Was wondering why that was
preferable as 1/4" would have been thicker material. 3/8" definitely
would be better.

We will still finish the house, but it will just be a bit more of a
challenge, being our first house. I'll take a look at Celebrity and Real
Good Toys.

Tom

Old July 30th 03, 09:56 PM
havana bill & holly

The cheap tab & slot kits are lots of fun to "bash".

Old August 15th 03, 06:27 PM
Echo Juliet

Hi, Thomas,

I think it would very definitely be worth your time and energy to put this
kit together. The Corona houses look cheap in their kit form, but if you
take your time in assembly and finishing, they can look like a million
bucks.

It's been a long time since I put together my cheapie kit, but I do remember
that I was careful to sand, seal and prime. I filled all the edges with that
fluffy white type of filler and sanded them flat when the spackle dried. I
primed everything with two coats, sanding after the first coat - and after
the second coat, too, on the areas to which I wanted to add a stucco look or
to which I was going to glue bricks.

Use good wood glue and wipe up spills as you make them. (Leaving glue can
create a crackle finish in any paint applied over it)

You can add quality touches to your house with crown moldings and
splashguards in the rooms, stained or painted frames on the exposed ends of
the walls and floors and with nice trim and roofing treatments.

I think you'd be surprised at how nice your house can look.
Good luck!