Quilty Gifts?

Old December 30th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

Default Quilty Gifts?

I second and third what the others have said. I bought myself something
back in November, and when it arrived, I showed it to DH and said,
"Merry Christmas to me!" He had no problem with it, and turned around
and did the same thing for himself.

We do a name drawing for our family Christmas with parents, sisters,
brother, niece, nephew and assorted in-laws. Everybody is really good
about providing a "here's what I'd like/need" list, and it works great!
I knew my nephew had my name this year, and I was pretty sure sending
him to a quilt shop to do his shopping for me wasn't going to be a real
treat. However, I DID want charms for my bracelet, and he's good at
going to the jewelry store, so those were on the top of my list. Now, I
did also mention a gift certificate from the LQS just in case, but . . .

As for the Kindle - go get it! I bought myself a Nook a couple of years
ago just because I wanted it and there wasn't a birthday or holiday
coming up. You deserve it, my dear - go for it!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

On 12/30/2011 4:34 PM, Taria wrote:
Susan,
I was looking at an ad on the computer yesterday and told dh that the
item would
make a really great Valentine gift. This system is working really well
for me. DD
is really thrilled anymore when I just say "I want X". She buys for the
gift not the
cost. She is getting really good at it. If you throw out enough options
it makes it
even easier for the family. Now if you explain this is what you are
doing they
might work with you. If you start mid summer you might even still be
surprised when you get the gift months later. Now if you give this a try
and they
are not trainable than you just need to start buying gifts for your self
and wrap them
up. I hate the wish list idea but hints work. There isn't much I want
off amazon
that I don't just buy myself but books are always wonderful.
Go buy the kindle. Don't look back.
Hugs, Taria

"Susan Laity Price" wrote in message

Long ago I gave up on my family understanding what I really want for
gifts. Try not to be too hurt when I open the few presents with my
name. No one notices that I have half the number of gifts to open as
anyone else in the room. This year I was very specific about wanting a
Kindle but no one listened. They did buy me charms for the charm
bracelet I never wear. Guess I will try to get used to wearing it.
Yesterday I bought myself four antique quilts. Don't feel guilty at
all. Soon I will purchase my own Kindle. Maybe next year they will
give me gift certificates for books. Hate the thought of starting an
Amazon wish list. Wish my family would listen and take the hint rather
than slapping them in the face with my wish list.

Susan

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:24:44 -0600, Sandy E wrote:

Howdy!

Digital camera must be good for quilting;
iPad w/ quilty sites & games...
yeah, I received quilty for Christmas.

Several years ago, one of my favorite after-Christmas commercials
was from Sears (good ol' Sears; about to disappear);
the ad sang,
"Almost everything you wanted... but didn't get for Christmas,
is on sale now at Sears!"
I take that to mean quilt shops, too. ;-)

Happy New Year!

Ragmop/Sandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eC0qhhi0vY
1977?!!!? how can that be? 1977!?!

On 12/26/11 4:36 PM, in article ,
"Lizzy Taylor" wrote:

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy

Old December 31st 11, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default Quilty Gifts, long

This is so true. And I feel blessed and charmed when I'm able to find
something "just right". It's a problem for everyone! I'd be happy to
revolve around gifts. Children used to receive small gifts on St.
Nicholas Day, December 6 (at least in Germany), and nothing else. Just
a Christmas tree decorated with edible goodies. So sensible! I'd much
rather spontaneously give my loved ones something whenever the impulse
strikes.

DH this year bought himself a 142-CD set of the complete recordings of
Artur Rubinstein. No hinting around for that man! He doesn't
understand about hinting. I bought myself a bit of fabric, some lovely
batiks, and I plan to keep the nearly-finished BOM we've been working
on :-) DH would prefer to pick out his own CDs because he is VERY
particular, and I'm the same about fabric, so this works just fine.
Roberta in D

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:05:10 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Now, now, Susan. I'm happy to see you posting but the tired is coming
through. We are holding you and your precious mother close. However, don't
you remember the tale I told about the Christmas DH bought me a lovely
chrome tool box (velvet-lined, no less) that exactly fit his new truck?
I caught on to the game away back when his sister flaunted the
beautifully cut, perfectly fitting coat that her husband had given her for
Christmas. It was a soft dark green that made her eyes just sparkle. I
longed for a gift like that. Not the coat; she was 5'10". I longed for a
gift from DH that was thoughtfully 'just for me'. I only just happened to
overhear her brag to her sister that she'd put it on lay-away back in
August.
Gift receiving problems are nothing new. Haven't you ever wondered what
use Baby Jesus had for frankincense and myrrh?
Get your self a Kindle. Get the size you want; there's more than one.
Get the options you want - some of them will probably blow your hair dry and
play Chopin. And be SO happy that you don't have to pretend to be grateful
to be gifted one that only reads in Portuguese. Polly

.. .

Old December 31st 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I keep a wish list on amazon partly for my own benefit. There are books
that I would like to have sometime, but perhaps don't want to buy for
myself right now. But at some future date, I want to order something
that isn't enough to qualify for free shipping, so I will add something
from my wish list.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 31st 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Oh, there are often "Sand-ta" gifts under the tree.
Husband just laughs; he knows my "get what you like, like what you get"
motto. g
Too often the Wish List is like advice: they either misinterpret,
ignore, or screw it up entirely, so why bother? LOL
I understand the charm bracelet collection: I asked for a couple of the
Mercedes-Benz collectible teddy bears; lovely little critters, got them
sitting on shelves around the house. Of course, other relatives & friends
saw them & assumed, "Oh, Sandy collects bears!" And so the bears came in,
in quantity. They make nice re-gifts; people are always surprised to
receive a nice, cuddly bear - without the M-B logo. ;-P
Also, of course, since I don't ask for anything, I can't complain at
what I receive. g
Truth is, just like with fabric: I like almost everything!

Happy New Year!

R/Sandy - with my favorite after-shopping questions:
"Did you get what you want? Do you need help carrying it in?"

Old January 1st 12, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 1/1/2012 9:45 AM, Sandy wrote:
In ,
Julia in wrote:

I keep a wish list on amazon partly for my own benefit. There are books
that I would like to have sometime, but perhaps don't want to buy for
myself right now. But at some future date, I want to order something
that isn't enough to qualify for free shipping, so I will add something
from my wish list.

Julia in MN

Ditto here, Julia! In fact, I don't think anyone I know (except everyone
here nowg) knows I have a wish list on Amazon -- I keep it for my own
use to get free shipping, like you.

My kids do use the list. I got a couple items from it for Christmas.

Julia in MN

--
-----------

Old January 2nd 12, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Costco had one a while ago. Bed bath and beyond is where DH
got me one for my birthday a few years ago. I think the BBB one
was around $100. Everyone thought it was a weird gift but I asked
for it and like is a lot.
Taria

wrote in message ...

I asked for a new ironing board. Didn't get it. All but my quilty friends
thought I was nutz. My quilty friends don't, they know how important a
sturdy ironing board is.
Now for a question...Does anyone have any suggestions for an ironing board
that does not cost the equivilent of a quilt? I'm hoping to find a wide
board, sturdy, for less than $100. Any suggestions? DH made me a "big board"
look-alike several years ago that I use all the time but the support for it
tilts at a rather dangerous angle.
Donna in Bellevue

Old January 2nd 12, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Aw now, Donna, you're not having any fun at all. Why does the big board
your sweetheart made for you tilt? I've become quite the maniac about
solving problems with: SuperGlue, duct tape, 3M hooks and assorted other
'handy man' accessories. If your honey was smart enough to make you a big
board, I'm betting the two of you could figure out why the board tilts and
what sort of support it needs and where. ( Do keep in mind that I'm running
my serger with a hefty flashlight holding the foot control wire in place.)
It's not like you can't afford a new one; it's just such fun to attack and
conquer the problem. Polly

Old January 2nd 12, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Christmas this year was really great. We have been dithering about a new tv for a while. We last bought one about 16 or so years ago. It was a nice, 22-inch screen that replaced a tiny 12-inch screen and we've been fine with that. We only watch movies on it. No cable. The week before Christmas when I was really sick with this nasty cold, I got my three men together and told them to go buy a TV for Christmas. And eat nasty big burgers and drink beer at a sports bar. Without me. And that became the Christmas for our household. In the process, my sons pooled some money and came up with something having to do with games that they bought for themselves and each other. And our Christmas shopping was done. I finally went out two days before Christmas and bought a paper back book for each of them that I thought they'd like (and one for me I knew I'd like). DH got stocking stuffers -- chocolate Santas and wool socks and the like. We had fun. I don't get quilty gifts. They don't really get it. And that's fine. When I really want/need something, I get it. No guilt. I'm not ever profligate with the spending on quilting and I figure I'm worth it.

Gifts ... on the whole I'd rather give than receive. Nobody knows what I really want except me, and I'm pretty good about making sure I get just exactly that.

Sunny
Old January 3rd 12, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I know I shouldn't complain about the gifts because I have so many
other things for which to be thankful. It just gets old sometimes. I
always buy myself gifts. Sometimes I even wrap them and put them under
the tree. Thanks for reminding me that Christmas isn't all about the
gifts.

Susan

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote:

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (or holiday of your choice) and had
the pleasure of giving and receiving gifts. Were any of yours quilty?

I gave several seasonal table runners (made back in January) and
received a roll of soft'n'bright batting and a new "daylight" work lamp,
both of which are much appreciated.

Now all I need to do is not eat for a couple of days so that I can fit
in front of the sewing machine again :-)

Lizzy

My quilty Christmas gifts Julia in MN Quilting 33 January 6th 08 05:05 PM
Up to something quilty Debra Quilting 3 January 16th 07 01:01 AM
What quilty maryd Quilting 47 December 11th 04 07:57 PM
Quilty gifts and other events Susan Laity Price Quilting 2 January 1st 04 12:56 PM
I did something quilty! Dianne & Greg Quilting 11 August 5th 03 10:34 PM