Rulers

Old February 10th 04, 12:45 AM
bogus address

I have a 18"x6" clear ruler with black markings--dont know the brand
though as I am typing this at work I have seen the Onmigrid with
the yellow lines and it just looks too BUSY and hard too read.

The yellow lines mean you can see the markings when cutting dark fabrics.
It really does work.

The one problem I've had with it is that since I nearly always cut
on the floor, the ruler gets left lying on the carpet. Where it will
break if you step on it.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old February 10th 04, 01:55 AM
AliceW

I prefer rulers that are in 1/2 inch increments. I have several square
rulers, but always use my 6.5 to square up. I have other rulers that are in
whole inches. It's nice to have that extra half inch sometimes. I just
bought an 8.5 x 24" inch ruler at the QVC studio quilt show on saturday.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

:
========

Old February 10th 04, 04:41 PM
Dr. Quilter

I have a 5x24 with golden writing, don't recall the brand right now,
difficult to read. yesterday I almost cut the last strip of a very
precious fabric that took us two hours to figure out how to cut so all
patches needed could come out of a scant yard after washing 1/4 inch
smaller due to the messy markings). And the lip gets on the way since I
don't always want it at a 90 degree angle with the mat edge. but I use
it for borders, squaring up the edge of scissor cut fabrics from the LQS
(wish they would tear) etc.

then I have a 6x12 fiskars with orange markings that I really like but
don't use that often.

I have a 1x12 that I never use, a 6 inch square that I really like and
use a lot but has a corner chipped from falling, and a 12.5 inch square
that I use to square up blocks and quilt corners. all these have yellow
writings (omnigrid?)

I sometimes look at the odly shapen rulers (to make square in a square,
triangles, etc.) but always figure out they are trying to sell me
something I will use rarely... only thing fancy I have is one of those
strip cutters with openings every half an inch. I could probably use a
few more rulers, but which??? )

sometimes I am concerned that using different brands will introduce some
error, but I figure my stitching and ironing will screw it up anyway...

Karlee in Kansas wrote:

"Kathy Applebaum wrote after Sandy wrote,

I may be
switching gradually, though, to the new Omnigrip rulers, since they
literally grip the fabric when you push down on them. I love the 6.5"
square I bought!

Do you know if they make a 6.5 x 24" ruler? (Looking forward to the

Baseball

Swap and Spring Training! *grin*)

I have the 6.5" square, the 9.5" square and the 6.5"X24". These are in
addition to an Olfa that I have that has a 45 degree angle cut out of it
(don't know where I got it, and don't know where you can get one). I don't
really know how I managed to get along without these rulers before, but I
know that if you want mine, you will have to pry them from my cold dead
fingers. I highly recommend the omnigrid but that is JMO. (I think that my
LQS also had a 12.5" square as well...but don't quote me on that)

Hugs,
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a
Ride!"

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old February 10th 04, 04:44 PM
Dr. Quilter

mine did too until I added those sand paper sticky circles a couple of
years ago. never had to replace them, and they make a huge difference.

Judy Kerr wrote:

\ I love my 6.5 x 24.5 Creative Grids ruler, too! I have an Omnigrid 9.5
square that drives me nuts 'coz it always slips.

Judy in UK

Old February 10th 04, 08:16 PM
Patti

Hullo Marissa
I have an equilateral triangle ruler which is actually very useful. I
wouldn't say it was essential of course, but it is handy for lots of
things. Other than that, I agree with you about the salesmanship
technique.

In article , Dr. Quilter
writes
snipped
I sometimes look at the odly shapen rulers (to make square in a square,
triangles, etc.) but always figure out they are trying to sell me
something I will use rarely... only thing fancy I have is one of those
strip cutters with openings every half an inch. I could probably use a
few more rulers, but which??? )

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 10th 04, 08:57 PM
Joan8904

While I know I'm an easy sale, I do find that I use some of those 'odd' rulers
for projects not related to the original use. For example, the square within a
square ruler has great markings for leaving 1/4" when trimming flying geese or
anything else with a point.

joan
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old February 15th 04, 04:22 AM
shhdesigns

I'd love to have a ruler that was maybe 30" or 32" long for those times you
find a 60" cotton that you want to cut. Maybe one day. I have a couple of
friends who have the O'lippa ones that are like the T square drafters use.
Have thought about using my TSWLTH 50% coupon on but haven't yet.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
om...
I don't necessarily have a favorite brand (although I do find the Omnigrid
very easy to read), but I really like my ruler that is 24" long. Great for
cutting across a full width. I rarely use my 3x18 because it's just too
small.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Sherry Starr" wrote in message
Does anyone have a favorite ruler? I'm just talking a regular ruler,

not
the triangle ones, just the regular straight ruler. I have a Quickline

II
by Nancy Crow that is 3 x 18. I love this ruler. It has all the

markings
in black, and the ruler itself is clear. I have another one that is an
Omnigrid that is the same size. I don't like this ruler. The ruler is
clear, but all the markings are black with yellow over the black. I

think
it is hard to read. I would love to have another Quickline since mine

has
several rotary cut shavings taken from it. I will continue looking for

one.
I just wondered if anyone has a favorite ruler they use more than

others.
Sherry Starr

Old February 15th 04, 05:28 AM
Leslie in Missouri

I have an O'lippa that's 4 X 36 for use with my big mat. Why they made
it so long and skinny I'll never understand! It's very "floppy" when
you pick it up. It's great for use with that particular mat, tho.

Leslie

Old February 15th 04, 07:35 AM
shhdesigns

I think that's the one I've seen, but I thought it was wider. Haven't seen
in in Canada yet, just the US.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.

Old February 17th 04, 01:32 AM
AliceW

Sandi, I like the 60" cottons too and fold it twice, then use my 24" inch
ruler to cut it. It's four layers at that point, but with a good blade and
a steady hand, it's not more difficult to cut than a double layer.

Alice

"shhdesigns" wrote in message
: I'd love to have a ruler that was maybe 30" or 32" long for those times
you
: find a 60" cotton that you want to cut. Maybe one day. I have a couple
of
: friends who have the O'lippa ones that are like the T square drafters use.
: Have thought about using my TSWLTH 50% coupon on but haven't yet.
:
: --