Proxxon; Dremel, etc ?

Old July 29th 03, 10:31 PM
Pieter

Default Proxxon; Dremel, etc ?

I am trying to buy a few miniature tools to do some craft work. I looked at
Dremel and Proxxon, mini-table saws, mini wood-lathes etc...but don't know
what other makes exists that manufacture mini powertools for craft
purposes...Can anyone please give me a bit of advice or someone who worked
with the two makes mentioned..much appreciated...

Old July 29th 03, 11:17 PM
Marian

You might want to check this site too
http://www.micromark.com/
I haven't bought much in the way of tools but everybody in my Roomboxes
group highly recommends them
Marian

Old July 30th 03, 03:45 AM
Thomas Mitchell

Just started into the dollhouse thing with my wife. I have a dremel and
a press thingie for it. I don't have any of the router bits and have
tried using the carving bits to make grooves in thin strips of wood to
simulated a fluted board. It almost works. I'm going out and buying a
set of router bits as I want to make crown moulding for the dollhouse as
well.

Old July 30th 03, 10:00 PM
havana bill & holly

You might also check out Preac, don't know if they have a website but some
of the miniaturists out there like the line. I found router bits for my
Dremel (DH gave me a mini router table for Christmas) at
www.widgetsupply.com.

Old August 1st 03, 08:12 PM

You guys make me so envious. I couldn't even put the wiring in mysef. I did
paint and wallpaper thoughl trille
"Chuck" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:31:53 +0100, "Pieter"
wrote:

I am trying to buy a few miniature tools to do some craft work. I looked

at
Dremel and Proxxon, mini-table saws, mini wood-lathes etc...but don't

know
what other makes exists that manufacture mini powertools for craft
purposes...Can anyone please give me a bit of advice or someone who

worked
with the two makes mentioned..much appreciated...

If you're going to spend the money for a mini lathe, you might as well
get something woth your hard-earned $$. You can't do better, for the
money, than a Jet Mini lathe. It is a very sturdy, well-made tool,
quite capable of turning anything from a 40-pound hunk of wet elm, to
a 1.5mm tall goblet...both items I have turned on my Jet.

IOW, don't limit yourself more than you have to by buying something
that is too specialized. There are some really tiny lathes out
there that can be had, but you definitely get what you pay for, and
there's nothing quite so frustrating as wanting to turn a piece that
is just an inch larger than you can fit between centers, or larger
than the swing of your lathe.

FWIW, I have owned and used Dremel Mototools for almost 30 years and
have never asked one to perform a task that it wasn't able to. I have
cut and carved every kind of wood imagineable, bone, marble,
soapstone, gems, semi-precious stones, steel, silver, copper. I've
used it to make jewelry, custom knives, miniatures, detail carving on
turned pieces...probably more things than I can ever remember. I
don't think you can do better, for the money.
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old August 2nd 03, 03:10 AM
Chuck

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:12:26 GMT, wrote:

You guys make me so envious. I couldn't even put the wiring in mysef. I did
paint and wallpaper thoughl trille

It's quite honestly more a matter of just trying it, as much as
anything else. Sure, a modicum of native intelligence is involved,
and perhaps a modicum of creativity, but if you have any feel for the
materials at all, and are even slightly experienced with making
anything by hand, it's really not that hard to make scores of things
for yourself.

Just look at each project as an individual challenge, break it down
into parts and mentally (or on paper) solve each of those "puzzles"
before you start working. Once you know how you're going to do it,
that's half the battle, right there.

After a few such projects, you begin to get a feel for the materials
and tools you are working with, and have more and more of an eye for
scale and how to make things look realistic.

Even the most accomplished miniaturist started with that first
project.

Old August 8th 03, 10:55 PM
Tom Berkner

Jarmac is another brand of mini table saws. Any mini shop can get one for
you from Dee's.

--
Tom #^*^ THE tool man! (GSOLFOT)
http://www.tomsmill.com