crochet with sewing thread

Old June 21st 04, 09:25 PM
Shel

Default crochet with sewing thread

Hi

Am wondering if anyone here has tried crocheting doilies using sewing
thread? I did a search through google and only came by one book/leaflet for
that...was wondering how well it works and if I have to use a specific type
of thread ( such as upholstery, quilting or just anything available )

thank you
Shel

Old June 21st 04, 10:04 PM
JJMolvik

One of the crochet magazines I subscribe(d) to did an article where you use
three strands of regular sewing thread in making a doily. Every few rounds
you change one of the threads to another color (darker, lighter, etc.) to
get a really neat gentle graduation of color. Probably the booklet you
found was from the same publisher as the magazine.

JJMolvik

Old June 22nd 04, 12:56 AM
Cozit/Liz

Don't know why you couldn't, if you wanted it fine. I've done so for a
bit of lace once. Though I didn't really like working with it much, so
I haven't done so again. What you choose to use would depend on what
you wanted to do with it, though I'd stay away from Quilting and
Buttonhole/Upholstery... they've got a stiffener/coating that makes them
awkward to do much other than what they're intended for... and no, it
doesn't hold up to much handling (the coating that is... from stitching
experience, not crocheting there).

-Liz

Old June 22nd 04, 06:12 AM

hey Shel...

try Annie's Attic, i know she has some patterns for sale using sewing
thread. I remember one of them was a pineapple doilie in rainbow colors.

bart

Old June 22nd 04, 06:40 PM
Shel

"JJMolvik" wrote in message
One of the crochet magazines I subscribe(d) to did an article where you

use
three strands of regular sewing thread in making a doily. Every few

rounds
you change one of the threads to another color (darker, lighter, etc.) to
get a really neat gentle graduation of color. Probably the booklet you
found was from the same publisher as the magazine.

JJMolvik

Thank you for the great tip with using more then one thread...will have to
try that

shel

Old June 23rd 04, 11:52 AM
Aud

I found this link, but they crochet smaller items, like snowflakes.
what interested me, was that they say ; to learn to crochet with thin
threads, you go gradualy to thinner and thinner threads. Some of the
snowflakes was made by tatting treads.
http://home.teleport.com/~noelvn/sno...o_crochet.html
Here is a doily, no pattern, but some good advice.
http://www.debrapyeatt.com/thread_doily.htm
A doily made of three strands of s.thr., scoll to the bottom:
http://monster-island.org/crochet/doilies.html
Good luck!
Aud ;-)

"JJMolvik" skrev i melding

"Shel" wrote in message
Hi

Am wondering if anyone here has tried crocheting doilies using

sewing
thread? I did a search through google and only came by one

book/leaflet
for
that...was wondering how well it works and if I have to use a

specific
type
of thread ( such as upholstery, quilting or just anything available

)

thank you
Shel

Old June 23rd 04, 03:51 PM
Michael O'Brien

I haven't tried it but since sewing thread is classed as #50 (most crochet
cotten is #10, 20 or 30), I think if you look for patterns that call for #50
you may be surprised at what you will find. I can't imagine the size hook
you would have to use. Is there a 0.05mm hook.

--
Mike O'Brien
e-mail -

Any day is a good day if you can sit up and take nourishment - anything
beyond that is a bonus.

Old June 23rd 04, 07:33 PM
Shel

"Aud" wrote in message
I found this link, but they crochet smaller items, like snowflakes.
what interested me, was that they say ; to learn to crochet with thin
threads, you go gradualy to thinner and thinner threads. Some of the
snowflakes was made by tatting treads.
http://home.teleport.com/~noelvn/sno...o_crochet.html
Here is a doily, no pattern, but some good advice.
http://www.debrapyeatt.com/thread_doily.htm
A doily made of three strands of s.thr., scoll to the bottom:
http://monster-island.org/crochet/doilies.html
Good luck!
Aud ;-)

Ahhh thanks for the links will check them out
Shel

Old June 24th 04, 06:05 PM
Cece

Many years ago, I crocheted a doily with sewing thread. At that time,
sewing thread was polyester wrapped in cotton, and behaved almost
exactly like the old mercerized cotton thread that I grew up with.
With a #14 steel hook, I had no problems.

Sewing thread now is different, although the manufacturer does not say
so; it does not "bend" the same way, and even feels different. It is
a pain to work with. (Of course, now I need glasses to see it.)

Cece