New Discussion topic(s)

Old September 16th 03, 06:52 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default New Discussion topic(s)

1. Natural, blends, or acrylics (and other man-made) fibers for
yarns?
2. Favorite weight of yarn to work with.

Hugs,
Noreen

Answers from ME:
1. I adore natural's to work with, and would have to say I prefer
them or blends. However, I use a lot of acrylics mostly due to price,
and because I sell my works, I have to consider 'allergies'.
2. I LOVE to work with fingering, worsted (DK), and even
occassionally bulkies.

Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts'!)

Old September 16th 03, 07:58 PM
Karen

1. Natural -- I love wools and blends of wool -- my absolute favorite for
winter socks is the merino & possum blend.
2. Worsted weight -- and sometimes bulky. I have such a problem with
lighter weights, when I try and work with them, it just feels like my eyes
are too bad and my fingers too fat!

Old September 16th 03, 10:09 PM
Aud

LOL!!!
OK, Noreen, I opened this message after have read the "headline".
In a glimpse I saw two articles, "read" the first one:
....Noreen want me to discuss Natural Blondes!!!
Well this was a BIT OT, but I think the most is ON topic here.
Well I do NOT want to destroy the thread!
Forget what I have said (nothing about food, though !!)
AUD ;-)
--

"Noreen's Knit*che" skrev i melding

Old September 16th 03, 10:30 PM
Aud

By the way:
1. I love to work with, and wear natural fibres,
but I see the advantage of blends,
being able to wash more often or to give more strength to f.i. socks.
man-made fibres is Ok to use as decorative elements,
or sometimes for decorative costumes etc.
but I am not happy to wear them.

2. I work with most yarns, but wool is my favorite.
I do not remember what "wieght" you call this yarn,
but a wool yarn knitted with needles 3mm-4,5mm
Is what I prefer to work with.
AUD ;-)
--

"Aud" skrev i melding

Old September 16th 03, 10:37 PM
Katherine Burgess

1. It depends on the project. For little kids or afghans, I go for acrylics,
because they can go into the washer.
2. Sports weight
Katherine

Old September 16th 03, 10:58 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:09:34 -0500, Aud wrote:
LOL!!!
OK, Noreen, I opened this message after have read the "headline".
In a glimpse I saw two articles, "read" the first one:
....Noreen want me to discuss Natural Blondes!!!
Well this was a BIT OT, but I think the most is ON topic here.
Well I do NOT want to destroy the thread!
Forget what I have said (nothing about food, though !!)
AUD ;-)

LOL, Aud! Natural, blends... reading as natural blondes!!!
Envisioning you, slapping forehead and exclaiming now, "what WAS I
thinking?"
Thanks for the grin!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old September 16th 03, 11:54 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:52:50 -0500, Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

1. Natural, blends, or acrylics (and other man-made) fibers for
yarns?

Naturals for me, with the occasional novelty synthetic for fun. Acrylic
when necessary for charity projects.

2. Favorite weight of yarn to work with.

DK, more or less.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old September 17th 03, 01:13 AM
Shillelagh

1. I'm becoming converted to natural yarns. I had thought I didn't like
wool, until my secret pal from Yahoo sent me skeins and skeins of Jaeger
Matchmaker, Debbie Bliss Merino, Noro Iro, Rowan Summer Tweed (silk). My
new secret pal has sent me Koigu Premium Merino and I think it's fabulous.
I'm going to make myself a sweater from it. Just waiting for it to go on
sale at the LYS. I love to "stalk" the dreamy yarns at the LYS, feel them,
drool over them, imagine projects made from them. So many ideas, not enough
time. (grin)

I have totes and totes full of acrylic yarn that I'm slowly using up on
afghans, baby wear, etc - and have started a heavy cable fall/winter
sweater for myself from an acrylic(partly to use up the yarn, and partly to
try out the pattern). I'm reasonably pleased with it so far, and have taken
a picture of the start of it. When I have a chance, I'll put it in my Yahoo
album and post the link.

2. I absolutely adore Regia Stretch yarn for socks. It's wonderful. But I
like heavier yarns too, because the project works up faster.

Knitting Hugs
Shelagh

Old September 17th 03, 10:25 AM
Sarah Grace

Noreen wrote
1. Natural, blends, or acrylics (and other man-made) fibers for
yarns?
2. Favorite weight of yarn to work with.

1) *Has* to be natural fibres. I especially love wool, cashmere, linen,
alpacca (want to try qiviut) and have some liking for silk. Knitting with
natural fibre somehow feels right- like it is meant to be. I am not a big
blend fan, although i can appreciate its merits and i have to confess an
exaggerated loathing for man mades.

2) I like finer weights of yarn, from lace to dk. I prefer how they knit up,
how they look, wearability etc.

Regards
Sarah
Old September 17th 03, 11:39 AM
Niina

1. Natural, blends, or acrylics (and other man-made) fibers for
yarns?
2. Favorite weight of yarn to work with.

1. For winter I prefer naturals, especially merino wool, alpaca and
wool-silk blends (I'm always cold in the winter and wool keeps me
warmer), but for summer I like cotton blends. I find 100% cotton too
hard on my fingers and it's too heavy to wear. I sometimes buy
man-made novelty yarns for scarves and other small items, though.

2. I like all weights, I usually have several projects in different
weights going at once, this way my hands don't get so tired.

Niina