call to quilters

Old August 18th 03, 11:59 PM
s.whitley

Default call to quilters

I have gone rag quilt crazy. I've gotten about 500 squares cut and ready to
start putting together. Here is my question, when you sew the squares all
together what do you do at the corners? I.e. sew the seams open? Stop and
don't overlap the seams? Sew the seams all one way?

Please let me know.

Sandra

Old August 19th 03, 06:51 PM
Boohoo1971

Here is my question, when you sew the squares all
together what do you do at the corners? I.e. sew the seams open?

I've quilted forever and this is what I would do. I would sew a strip of
squares, the width of the finished quilt, together and iron it so all of the
fabric on the inside, at the seams, goes one way. The seam margin should be 1/4
inch wide. More fabric is not needed and would be very bulky. In a quilt never
iron the seams open! This is the first row. Then decide how you want the
second row, what fabrics where to go with the first row. Stitch all of the
second row pieces together. Iron this row so the fabric goes the opposite way
the first did. This is done so when you stitch the two rows together the two
seams will push against eachother so you get a perfect intersection of four
pieces. Go on row by row, alternating the direction the seams are ironed. I
would sew each finished row to the quilt as I finish it. If you have any other
questions, about piecing or finishing your quilt, just e-mail me. It is nice
to have another quilter around. Boo