Correspondence with Webshots audio ads

Old June 24th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Default Correspondence with Webshots audio ads

Here it is so far, most recent first. It will be interesting to see
what response I get now, if any... It would be great if we could
bombard them with messages and/or a petition.

Hello, Dennis.

I thank you for your response, but I'm really sorry to hear that. I
include my webshots link in every message I post. People are grumbling
about the new audio ads and saying they're going to stop clicking on
webshots links. As you can see from my stats, that is a fair number of
people, and if they start staying away from my site, you can be sure
they'll be staying away from others.

I respectfully ask you to give me contact info (name, position, email
or phone or snail mail) for decision/policy makers. I would like to
explain this situation to them, and further explain that I would be
willing to pay for a premium membership if it meant that people
visiting my images wouldn't be subjected to these ads.

I look forward to hearing from you.

--Heidi

On Jun 22, 2009, at 4:46 PM, WS webshots-support wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webshots Customer Support.

I apologize for any confusion. As a premium member you will not see
any ads on the site, while you are signed in. However, free members
and visitors to our website will see the ads. Please let me know if I
can help with anything else.

Thank you,
Dennis R
Your Customer Support Representative
www.Webshots.com

I've found them irritating andI've received many complaints about the

new audio ads from people looking at my photos.

Will premium membership mean MY VISITORS will be able to see my

pics without having to deal with that intrusive audio? If not, I will
be

finding another hosting site.

I anxiously await your reply.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b
Old June 24th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

[...]

I sent them a message of cancellation due to the intrusive audio spam
adds. Maybe it will ad up to something, but I doubt it.

John
Old June 24th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Heidi, I think visitors have to be premium members in order not to see
and hear the ads. I'm dreading every visit to see someone's photos.
Flickr.com has been very good. They've never asked me for any kind of
info. I've never offered. So far as I can tell, I'm not getting spam
because of flickr.com. I highly recommend it. Great photo quality and
no ads.

Sunny
Old June 24th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I'm thinking we should all take a couple of mins and write them. They
say there is strength in numbers and only that way could we get them to
change the policy. I know some people still do not want to pay for their
service but I will if it keeps my visitors happy.
Thanx for letting us know.
Take Care
Joanna

Old June 24th 09, 11:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

heidi (was rabbit2b) wrote:
[...]

That is just the problem. You may not hear anything, but your visitors
would have to be paid subscribers to avoid hearing anything. It is a
money maker for webshots. And I don't think they are willing to give
up that revenue stream. I for one, will not be contributing to that
stream.

John
Old June 24th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b
That is just the problem. You may not hear anything, but your visitors
would have to be paid subscribers to avoid hearing anything. It is a
money maker for webshots. And I don't think they are willing to give
up that revenue stream. I for one, will not be contributing to that
stream.

There is a way round this, but it's a pain for the person with the
album. You can navigate to the images themselves, find their actual
URLs, and publicize those. Like this one of Heidi's:

http://image28.webshots.com/29/9/63/...2cGSpeG_ph.jpg

No ads, no music, no waiting. Just a nice picture.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old June 24th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

Thanks Jack, good idea

--
Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\
Old June 24th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Brilliant!
..
In message , Jack Campin
- bogus address writes
http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

That is just the problem. You may not hear anything, but your visitors
would have to be paid subscribers to avoid hearing anything. It is a
money maker for webshots. And I don't think they are willing to give
up that revenue stream. I for one, will not be contributing to that
stream.

There is a way round this, but it's a pain for the person with the
album. You can navigate to the images themselves, find their actual
URLs, and publicize those. Like this one of Heidi's:

http://image28.webshots.com/29/9/63/...2cGSpeG_ph.jpg

No ads, no music, no waiting. Just a nice picture.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 24th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I'm not getting any sound with Webshots - I've just done a test with
about 10 other people's sites, and they are all completely silent, even
with the volume on the speakers turned right up. I haven't made any
adjustments at all. The ads were fairly static - eg one for a game site,
one for an animal charity, for for T-mobile cell-phones and one saying I
have the chance of winning something, but as I said, no sound at all.

Is everyone hearing load music or something on mine, or have they
forgotten me. If it has secretly become annoying I'll have a look at
flickr instead.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk