Sewing fleece

Old September 25th 03, 01:13 PM
QuilterD

Default Sewing fleece

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a little while here. I don't do too much sewing other
than quilts, but very occasionally do some 'home sewing' - curtain toppers,
etc. When my daughter was young I sewed a lot of her clothes. She's grown &
married now.

I'd like to make a couple of small fleece throws/blankets, but was unsure if
this can be accomplished well enough without a serger. Should just fold the
fleece over, like making a hem, and stitch?

Thanks so much for your help,
Dianne (western PA)
Old September 25th 03, 01:57 PM
Mike Behrent

Sure, you don't really need a serger. You can edge it with blanket tape or
use an overcast stitch.
Mike

Old September 25th 03, 03:10 PM
Joanna

You can edge it anyway you choose. Fleece will not fray. So technically no hem is
needed except for looks.
Take Care
Joanna
Remove "quilt" to reply

Old September 25th 03, 03:47 PM
Pat

"QuilterD"

I'd like to make a couple of small fleece throws/blankets, but was unsure

if

You can leave the blanket raw on the edge and cut fringe on it
too........gives it a little finish with no sewing!!

Old September 25th 03, 04:15 PM
nana2b

I was told that you can edge it on your regular machine and use a
badgemaster type product to stiffen the edge for the edge stitch. After
just throw in the washing machine and it dissolves. I used to make the
blankets but cutting the long sides as straight as possible and fringing the
short sides, no sewing needed. Great gifts!

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old September 25th 03, 05:18 PM
TerriLee in WA

I buy the satin blanket binding a WalMart and edge it that way. Mitered
corners and all grin. If the blanket binding doesn't come in the color
I want, I buy (many) yards of 4" satin ribbon, and press it in half, the
length of the yardage. Works great, IMO.

Another thing I've seen done, which is really cute is to take 2 layers,
sew together, wrong sides together about two inches in from the edge.
Then cut "fringe" on all the edges and tie the front and back fringe
strips together. More work than I want to go to for a fleece throw, but
seems to suit others just fine.

QuilterD wrote:

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a little while here. I don't do too much sewing other
than quilts, but very occasionally do some 'home sewing' - curtain toppers,
etc. When my daughter was young I sewed a lot of her clothes. She's grown &
married now.

I'd like to make a couple of small fleece throws/blankets, but was unsure if
this can be accomplished well enough without a serger. Should just fold the
fleece over, like making a hem, and stitch?

Thanks so much for your help,
Dianne (western PA)

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (USA)
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
Old September 26th 03, 01:09 PM
QuilterD

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and encouragement! I'm heading to the
fabric store today.

Dianne
Western PA
Old October 19th 03, 07:38 AM
Vicki Damron

Hi Dianne, so funny this came up. I just got off the phone with my daughter
(and new granddaughter) and she said her sister in law had made her a fleece
blanket. Two pieces of fabric put together with string(cut pieces of fleece
of the two colors of the blanket) and just a hole( I might make button holes
after they were put together and just tie the fleece strings through the
holes. She said it was awesome. Also said it was a spur of the moment since
they were coming to their town for a football game, so she did it all the
evening before. I will be going down there for a visit, and if I can get the
digital camera from my husband, I will take a picture of it. Sounds really
easy. Good luck. Vicki