Roll Call

Old May 3rd 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Roll Call

Looking back in the Archives it seems to be at lease 2.1/2 years since
we had a general Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are. I
know when I first joined I found it really useful.

Here is mine - updated a bit - how time flies.

Retired to the Suffolk coast in England from Nottingham in 2001, so of
advancing years!

Two big children, neither still at home. Richard 32 has lived with his
girlfriend and her three children for 3 years so it seems pretty
permanent. He works in computers (thank goodness!). Rachel is 36 and
lives with her husband Tim, an airline pilot, in central England.
DH Mike is into ornithology in a big way - birdwatches, rings birds for
migration stats, does conservation work, so I am left to stitch! (and
garden.

QI Inspector No 1 is Hodge who is a white cat with a grey tabby mask,
hat, cloak and tail. He is assisted by 1 year old Mia (who is black and
white and would rather be doing other things), and her brother Kiwi who
shows great promise. Kiwi was supposed to be all black, hence his name
the New Zealanders will understand. However, he is a bit of a clown so
has developed a long very fluffy brownish fringe around his body, a big
mane like a lion and an enormous tail. He has retained his pitch black
face and legs though!

Have sewed for ever, lots of embroidery, but only started quilting
when my sister died and left me her board, rotary cutter, lots of bits
and pieces and small stash. She only had one or two bits unfinished
but I thought I would learn to use the board and cutter so I could
finish her things properly. However.... the stash has grown and so has
the pile of UFOs - and I seldom embroider!

I will have a new photo session when I have finished the tops of the
baby quilts I am currently doing for the children of two friends who are
going to be Grannies in the summer. I am green with envy!

Chocolate - officially nil as I am dieting, but after my weigh-in this
morning I have a small bar hidden in the fridge. A friend told me the
best diet is to eat sensibly and slowly only when you are hungry, and to
stop when you are full. I intend to be hungry this evening!

So .. open to everyone else!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 3rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

On Thu, 03 May 2007 17:41:05 +0100, Sally Swindells
wrote:

Looking back in the Archives it seems to be at lease 2.1/2 years since
we had a general Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are. I
know when I first joined I found it really useful.

Pretty much who I am and what I do is available on my personal
website, so rather than type it all up again, it's
http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle

My two children are grown - daughter, single, fitness nut, works for a
wildlife tour group and son, married with three children. I'm retired
and on my own with a strange kitty named Gray Soufflé.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old May 3rd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

OK, I'm also of advancing years, busier than ever, living in the Munich area
(Germany). American with a German DH, 2 grown daughters.
I love scrappy quilts and adapting floor mosaics.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old May 3rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

You're right, Sally! It has certainly been some time since our last roll
call.

I'm a retired high school French teacher who began quilting over 20
years ago. DH and I lived in a small town in southern Arizona for many
years until our two DDs and their families moved to this area. Since we
were retired, we decided to follow them! We now have five grandchildren
(DD#1: two boys, aged 8 and 6, and a girl born on Tuesday! DD#: two
boys, aged 6 and almost 3).

In addition to quilting, I love to read and play around on my computer
(a Mac, of course! G), and my twin sister (DT) and I video chat
several times a week; she lives in France with her delightful DH and two
sons, so it's the only way we can keep in regular touch.

I have only one QI at the moment, and elderly lab/chow mix who is the
sweetest fellow on earth. He's the reason I don't have a second QI; he's
just too old to cope with puppy antics at this point. I really want
another cocker, though, and will get one someday.

My quilts are pictured on my web site, and chocolate is my downfall. :S
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old May 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I'm a retired software engineer living in MedCity, USA (Rochester MN,
home of the Mayo Clinic). I have been sewing for about 50 years
andquilting off and on for nearly 35 years. I think I've tried sewing
just about anything that can be sewn and have tried lots of different
crafts and needlework. I'm pretty much a self-taught quilter, using
books, lots of them from the public library. I've been married almost 40
years to a now-retired school counselor. We have 2 children; our son and
his wife have 3 beautiful children; our 4th grandchild is due in about
10 days -- the first child of our daughter and her husband. No pets
here; we both grew up on farms where animals belong outside

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 3rd 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

oh go on then!

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum age-wise, I'm 27, a lifelong sewer
and handiwork person, but been quilting less than 2 years.

I have two littlies to occupy me, they are a boy, almost 4 and a girl almost
2.

I'm English by birth, married to a Scot, spent our early married life in
Cambridge, England and currently live in Bellevue, WA, USA (not Western
Austrailia!) - where we plan to be for 3-5 yrs, then no idea, maybe back to
the UK, maybe not! I'm not sure how I'd cope with the restricted access to
quilt shops!

Anne

Old May 3rd 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On May 3, 12:41 pm, Sally Swindells
wrote:
[...]

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ukhttp://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

I'm Male, 65, retired furniture maker/woodworker/remodeling
contractor. I live with my wife of 35 years in Central Ohio. No kids,
so we get to spend all the money on fabric. Yea!
I ride bicycles for exercise and fun and quilt to satisfy the creative
drive in my life. We are in the process of deciding whether we want to
move to the desert southwest to escape the winters here. We will be
heading out to New Mexico come July for a look see at a couple of our
favorite places and make an evaluation. We have traveled quite a bit
but the quilting bug has kept me close to the sewing machine this
year. Other interests are Needlepoint, Guitar playing, Music and
Reading.
I consider myself very lucky, in that I have a wonderful wife who
indulges and supports all my efforts and I try to do the same for her.
Life and love is good.

John

Old May 3rd 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

I must have missed the first post so I am piggybacking he
I'm Debi, I live in north central Florida with my hubby David, and five
creatures of the furry persuasion. I am a radiology technician at the
University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine and spend my days
taking radiographs, doing nuclear medicine and CT scans of whatever sorts of
creatures they bring us, but mostly dogs and cats.
Senior Quilt Inspector is Jamie, a 10 year old orange longhaired cat, named
for the main character in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
pretty" and to wave and will do so just to get your attention. He is black
and white and a total clown.
Phoebe is the sweet little black kitty that my husband wanted so we could
have a 'snuggle kitty' after our dear Sophie unexpectedly crossed the
Rainbow Bridge. She was not so snuggly at first, being rambunctious and
fiercely possessive of her tinsel cat ball. But she soon settled and now has
to ninny (knead and suckle)on her pillow every night in bed with us.
Emma is the shopping cart kitten whom I had every intention of finding a
home for when I found her a couple of July's back. Blue-grey and white, she
is the most petite and shy but is very sweet tempered. My DH decided we
needed to keep her because he's more of a mush than I am about animals in
general and cats in particular.
The lone QI of canine ilk is Clifford, the Medium Red Dog. He lives to chase
the tennis ball and be an attentive companion. He is The Best Dog in the
Whole Wide World.
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old May 4th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

I don't know if I'm of advancing years or just middle age, and looking
forward to retirement as soon as possible (some days more than others!).
I've been quilting for 27 years - took a class in 1980 and have been hooked
ever since. My taste tends toward traditional, but I like to tweak it a
little if I can! I machine piece, hand applique, and have been a hand
quilter, but that is changing as I've discovered I like machine quilting and
recently invested in a longarm.

We live in eastern Iowa in the same town where we grew up (but spent time in
New Mexico and Arizona before settling here). I have no children, but do
have three grandchildren (courtesy of two of DH's kids) and, yes, they all
have a quilt, but are each due a new one soon. No QIs at present - I miss
having one around, but it does give us the freedom to jump on the GoldWing
and take off on the weekends without worrying about leaving a QI home alone.

Thanks, Sally, for suggesting another roll call - it's been a long time and
it's good to get caught up with everyone again.
--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old May 4th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

This is going to be a fascinating thread! There are so many interesting
people in this group! I have marked the thread so I can learn more about
all of you.

I'm in my 60s, married and divorced twice and no plans to try the experiment
again. Much as I would like to put some of the blame on my exes, I suspect
that I am just not good wife material. One DS, a free spirit living in
Idaho, who is the light of my life. Of 12 siblings, one has passed away and
I treasure the remaining 11.

One QI, a cat named 'Dorable Dora (and yes, she's named after one of Lazarus
Long's wives) who is the sweetest and best-tempered cat I have ever met. My
other QI Fat Eddie crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago, and she was
the exact opposite--a super-b___h but I loved her dearly and I miss her
still. I should probably get a second QI but Dora is so happy being queen
of the house that I hate to disrupt her life. I love dogs but currently do
not have the time to devote to them; cats are a bit more independent. After
I retire, though, there will be a dog in the house!

I got started quilting through the encouragement of a friend in 1997, and
generally manage to make two to four quilts each year. Having developed
carpal tunnel and tendonitis some thirty years ago, I had to give up drawing
and painting (couldn't hold onto a brush any more) and was overjoyed to find
an art form that allows me to play with color and create something
beautiful. I can now draw a little again but use that only for quilt labels
and occasional projects for the office. One of the reasons I love this
group is the fact that both serious quilt artists and dilettantes like
myself can mingle and exchange ideas.

Still working full time plus a bit (actually quite a bit of OT the past year
or so), four years to go till retirement. I plan to get a long-arm setup in
the near future, and hope to enhance my retirement with something I love to
do and which will be useful to the quilting community. I was a housewife
and a musician for too many years to have saved for retirement, so the added
income will be a plus.

I moved to Tucson from Minnesota in 1993 with DH#2 for a couple of years,
and again in 1998 and am still here. I love the Southwest! I live across
the street from MSM who has been my best friend for many years. We live in
a mobile home court (AKA old folks' trailer park, LOL) in a great
neighborhood.

Arizona has been a great quilting location for me, as the LQSs are
wonderful, the scenery is lovely, and the annual Quilt Show is a great
inspiration. I hope someday to show a quilt there that will represent my
Arizona experience.

Next?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Looking back in the Archives it seems to be at lease 2.1/2 years since we
had a general Roll Call, so that newbies can see who we all are. I know
when I first joined I found it really useful.

Here is mine - updated a bit - how time flies.

gently snipped

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Roll Call! frood Quilting 120 November 25th 05 05:47 PM
roll call Marijke Quilting 16 January 18th 05 03:40 AM
ROLL CALL Scott Williams Quilting 10 January 12th 05 04:05 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
Roll call Cindy Schmidt Quilting 0 January 4th 05 04:46 PM