Labradorite vs. Grey Moonstone

Old February 23rd 05, 01:54 AM
Empress Beads

Default Labradorite vs. Grey Moonstone

How can you tell the difference between Labordorite and grey moonstone?
They don't appear to be the same. Are they? Is there somewhere I can go to
ask?

I have received two different grey stones and I want to identify them
correctly. I could ask my supplier however they are slow to respond. I
thought this might be a little faster.

Thanks
Amy

Old February 23rd 05, 02:23 AM
Dr. Sooz

There's a website on minerals that's very comprehensive in the General
Information section of the Links List, hon.

www.lampwork.net

Old February 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
Bead Carol

Empress Beads wrote:
How can you tell the difference between Labordorite and grey

moonstone?
They don't appear to be the same. Are they?

The only moonstone that has a lot of flash and fire is rainbow
moonstone - and it is a white stone. Labradorite is grey with a lot of
flash and fire - and appears much like a *dirty* rainbow moonstone.
HTH!

Carol

Old February 23rd 05, 04:25 AM
Empress Beads

Thanks Sooz! From what I have learned it is a little difficult to tell the
difference.

I have some that are more green with a bright flash. (I am assuming this is
the labradorite) The other does seem more grey and has about the same
amount of flash. (Assuming grey Moonstone) What is confusing me is when I
received them there is one strand of the green with the grey bundle.
Usually they are bundled according same stone.

Thanks
AMY
oups.com...

Old February 23rd 05, 05:17 AM
Carolyn Nelson

A good grade grey Moonstone is a an even grey with a colorless sheen, but no
fire; the most available Labradorite in beads is
a dark greyish green with a definite blue flash....check out the examples on
this site http://www.gemhut.com/gemidx.htm
Of course, the examples will vary because these are mostly cabs or rock
collectors specimens, and the cut of gemstones definitely affect the flash
and color....gmcarolyn

ps they are definitely not the same!

"Bead Carol" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 23rd 05, 07:05 AM
Bead Carol

The other does seem more grey and has about the same amount of flash.
(Assuming grey Moonstone)

Amy, if the stone has any flash to it, it isn't grey moonstone. The
color of labradorite varies from grey to greyish-green - and it always
has a lot of fire and flash (much like the fire and flash of a rainbow
moonstone). With the exception of rainbow moonstone, moonstone doesn't
exhibit any flash.

Carol

Old February 24th 05, 04:01 AM
Empress Beads

Thanks so much Carolyn! This is exactly what I was looking for. I think I
might have 3 different Labordite stones and only one grey moonstone. I will
post more soon when I get all the pictures up on my website. I have been
working for two days straight trying to get my order completed. I hope to
finished tomorrow. I will let you know.

Thanks
Amy
"Carolyn Nelson" wrote in message
A good grade grey Moonstone is a an even grey with a colorless sheen, but
no fire; the most available Labradorite in beads is
a dark greyish green with a definite blue flash....check out the examples
on this site http://www.gemhut.com/gemidx.htm
Of course, the examples will vary because these are mostly cabs or rock
collectors specimens, and the cut of gemstones definitely affect the flash
and color....gmcarolyn

ps they are definitely not the same!

"Bead Carol" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 07:43 PM
Empress Beads

Ok here is a page with all the strands in question. Please let me know what
you think to the questions I have posted there. Thanks once again for all
of your help.

http://www.empressbeads.com/test.htm

I have been completly swamped taking pics, posting, writing descriptions and
posting again. And also taking care of two small children during the day.

Thanks
Amy
http://www.empressbeads.com
"Bead Carol" wrote in message
oups.com...

Moonstone GreenSlimer Jewelry 1 June 27th 04 06:38 PM
CABOCHONS: AMBER, AMETHYST, GARNET, MOONSTONE & MANY MORE Herosemineral Beads 0 January 29th 04 10:32 AM
Black and white (grey scale) stained glass panels? Scott Ecelberger Glass 5 November 18th 03 01:53 PM
Steel grey Becki heart Christina Peterson Beads 3 September 1st 03 04:17 AM
nbr but helpful - Stop grey popups with no downloading Pamela Welborn Beads 0 July 5th 03 04:23 AM