Equipment

Old November 2nd 04, 06:59 AM
melinda

Default Equipment

It's so nice to have stuff that work properly! Bought myself an Olfa
45mm rotary cutter Saturday and wow what a difference it makes!
Now all I need to do is get a ruler and better mat, at least with my
current prefernces for scrap quilts I really don't need a big mat yet
so DH probably wont complain too loud when I decide to go get one.

I've been using the cutter to cut (of course) some of the stash
acquired for Dh's quilt, still got a long way to go on it yet...

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old November 2nd 04, 07:24 AM
Terbear

What till ya try the 60mm....my 45mm seems almost awkward after I got my
60mm!
have fun!
hugs,
Teri

--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Old November 2nd 04, 09:30 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:24:06 -0800, "Terbear"
wrote:

What till ya try the 60mm....my 45mm seems almost awkward after I got my
60mm!
have fun!
hugs,
Teri

I've been tempted to get the 60mm but didn't want it to become a
costly gadget that I never used. Thanks for recommending it! I might
just put it on my Christmas list.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 2nd 04, 10:54 AM
Patti

I really like my 60mm, too, Jo.
..
In article , Johanna Gibson
writes
wrote:

I've been tempted to get the 60mm but didn't want it to become a
costly gadget that I never used. Thanks for recommending it! I might
just put it on my Christmas list.

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 2nd 04, 12:37 PM
Pat in Virginia

Jo: The 60 MM is terrific for projects of multiple layers;
SnW comes to mind. Bear in mind that the larger the blade,
the more it costs. I use the smallest blade for the job. Why
wear out an expensive blade when a less costly 28 or 45 MM
would do the same job? Food for thought.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 2nd 04, 12:56 PM
Polly Esther

Melinda, before you invest in a big mat, you'll want to take a survey and
see how everyone's enjoying (or not) the new white mat. My quilting student
has one and declares that it is wonderful. My green ones are rather worn and
I don't know if the white one is great or just better than a loved but
battered fuzzy green one. Polly

Old November 2nd 04, 02:43 PM
Butterfly

Have both the green and the white. I use the white more.
HTH
Butterfly
link.net...

Old November 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Jo: The 60 MM is terrific for projects of multiple layers; SnW comes to
mind. Bear in mind that the larger the blade, the more it costs. I use
the smallest blade for the job. Why wear out an expensive blade when a
less costly 28 or 45 MM would do the same job?

A 60 mm blade is about twice the size of a 28 mm blade, so it can cut
twice the distance with one turn. Theoretically, that means it should
last twice as long, so if the 28 mm blade is more than half the cost of
the 60 mm blade, the 60 mm is more economical. Likewise, the 60 mm blade
should last 1.5 times as long as the 45 mm blade, so if the cost of the
60 mm blade is less than 1.5 times the cost of the 45 mm blade, the 60
mm blade is more economical. Also, the 45 mm blade should last 1.5 times
as long as the 28 mm. blade.

Prices from the Hancock's of Paducah catalog for 10 blades:
28 mm - 15.98
45 mm - 19.98
60 mm - 39.96
By my calculations, the 45 mm blades should be the most economical. Of
course, this is all theoretical. Actual mileage may vary

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
KJ

Oh you'll use it! And you'll forget why you bought the 45 mm one! The
blades are more costly, so I try to remember to use the 45 one when I don't
really need the depth of the 60 one. But it's hard!

Old November 2nd 04, 05:02 PM
NinaJ

On 2 Nov 2004 06:59:51 GMT, melinda wrote:

It's so nice to have stuff that work properly! Bought myself an Olfa
45mm rotary cutter Saturday and wow what a difference it makes!
Now all I need to do is get a ruler and better mat, at least with my
current prefernces for scrap quilts I really don't need a big mat yet
so DH probably wont complain too loud when I decide to go get one.

I've been using the cutter to cut (of course) some of the stash
acquired for Dh's quilt, still got a long way to go on it yet...

Cut carefully and don't nick your ruler, when you get it, with the
cutter blade - the blade will last much longer. My favourite cutting
mat is a metric mat, 18" x 24" (or 45cm x 60cm) and marked off in
centimeters. It is great for lining up and cutting small pieces of
fabric. I bought it at Staples and it is meant for cutting paper, but
fabric works well too. I've had it for years.

Nina

equipment MJ Pottery 8 January 29th 05 08:16 PM
stone shaping equipment raane Jewelry 12 January 24th 05 03:36 PM
Make your art into great stamps No expensive equipment! [email protected] Rubberstamps 0 December 17th 04 05:10 PM
[ADVERT] Jewelry Tools and Equipment AJS Jewelry 0 November 4th 03 03:52 AM
Looking for 2nd-hand lapidary equipment Adrian Jewelry 0 July 31st 03 03:01 AM