Wow, my first rude question from Ebay!

Old September 29th 04, 11:06 PM
c driver

This HAS to be the same person that gave me grief in July and August
when I had my raku series going....long before the frit, I might
add...
They were not very polite, but I did a search on their bidding history
and discovered they bought raku, and obviously felt I'd messed up
their search!

Carolyn
Old September 30th 04, 03:06 AM
*~candygrrl~*

you know, I didn't look her up before but I did just now, and yes -
many raku purchases and also Scandinavian troll folk art. No. I'm not
kidding. I think it explains a lot...

Old September 30th 04, 03:58 PM
c driver

ROFL! I didn't see the troll art when I checked!!!

Carolyn

Old September 30th 04, 07:08 PM
Kalera Stratton

Well, if you want to get technical, the frit actually is a reduction
color, which means that it's subject to the identical chemical process
as what you find in raku glazes on pottery, which are, fundamentally,
metal-oxide-loaded ground glass.

If you took a powder of this glass and mixed it into a glaze base,
applied it to a clay pot and fired it in a heavily reducing atmosphere,
you would, in fact, have raku.

To be completely fair, "raku" itself means "joy", and and was at one
time the name of a family who produced raku pottery for several
generations... and they first named the pottery, and then themselves,
after a *house*. (The House of Joy? Oh my...) Originally raku pottery
was simply known as "Modern" or "New Style" pottery.

OK, now kick me for being a smarty-pants... but my point is, you can't
get too picky about what something is named for, because it's unlikely
that any one process or technique originated a word or name. For the
most part, the name was borrowed from somewhere else to begin with, and
the new technique or product probably has something in common with the
original, to warrant the reference.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Christina Peterson wrote:
Much better. Especially because it is educational, which is the correct
response to ignorance. It should be kept in mind, that this could be a
potential customer. I have to say, I too thought "raku" was an incorrect
description when I first heard it. It still irks me slightly that the word
for a process is being applied to describe a color of frit.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message

Heh, welcome to the wondrous world of bead selling!

Were I you, instead of sending that reply, I would send something more
briefly condescending, yet utterly, cheerfully deadpan. Especially if
they made it a publicly viewable question. Something like:

Thank you for your comment! In fact, there are a number of terms used in
glass that have crossed craft boundaries. I'm sure that as you become
more familiar with the medium, you will encounter many more. Please
never hesitate to ask if you find yourself confused about terminology!
Take care."

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

*~candygrrl~* wrote:

Well, I must have arrived! I've gotten my first rude "question from a
member" on Ebay! I feel so honored, LOL!

Actually it wasn't a question so much as a brief comment. And I quote:
"Raku is a clay process not glass!!!!!!!!" (Please note the severe
overuse of the exclamation point) That's it. Well, hm. I'm perfectly
aware of that, you D.A., thanks for nothing! :P

Here's my response - which I haven't sent off yet, as I'm trying to
bite my tongue, virtually speaking...

"Well, for your information, I am fully aware that raku is also a clay
process, since I ALSO make clay beads. The name of the GLASS frit that
I used on that set of beads is called "Raku Jitterbug" and most
lampwork bead buyers are familiar with this fact. So the name of my
bead set happens to be completely accurate. At last search, 59 other
beadmakers also used Raku in the names for their beads. Did they all
get the same scathing comment or am I the lucky one today??

In addition, if I want to name my beads Raku, Terra Cotta, Crackle,
Stoneware, Earthenware, Porcelain, or Solid Gold Wrapped In a Hundred
Dollar Bill I am perfectly free to do so. Please find a better way to
use your time."

Grumble grumble grump! Someone tell me not to send that, or I'm
gonna...

Deux Candace

Old September 30th 04, 07:10 PM
Kalera Stratton

Yeah, and maybe this person needs to get a clue and narrow their search
to the pottery category? It's not *that* complicated...

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kandice Seeber wrote:
Well, that's how it goes on ebay. People can put words like "emerald" and
"pearl" in titles of auctions that have nothing to do with actual emeralds
or pearls. Unless the auction is grossly misleading, it's not against the
rules. Such as the auctions which state annealed and are not - that's
keyowrd spamming. Annealed cannot mean more than one thing, when it comes to
beads. A bead is either annealed or it's not. Raku can simply refer to a
color scheme. So can words like Patina, Pearl, Crystal, etc.

People do stick things in the wrong category and that's why searches for
"annealed lampwork beads" will still return things like jewelry, tools, etc.
You can report those auctions, but seriously, who has the time?

Old September 30th 04, 07:26 PM
Dr. Sooz

Yeah, and maybe this person needs to get a clue and narrow their search
to the pottery category?

This could be a good response for next time.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old October 1st 04, 07:50 AM
Kalera Stratton

(thanks for not kicking)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

eBay Question ~OT~ Tinkster Beads 9 March 18th 04 10:02 PM
Another Ebay question JL Amerson Beads 17 January 8th 04 11:20 PM
Quick eBay Question Arondelle Beads 4 January 4th 04 07:35 AM
AD and question: Lampwork on ebay and justbeads Tink Beads 0 July 1st 03 04:29 AM