Australian floods - Our Oz posters

Old January 4th 11, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Default Australian floods - Our Oz posters

) writes:
On 4 Jan 2011 18:42:37 GMT, (F.James
Cripwell) wrote:

) writes:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:32:36 -0800 (PST), Nickname unavailable
wrote:

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, we normally bitch about cold and snow, this year
it's over in the UK causing havoc. Florida had seriously low
temperatures (for them) recently and the arctic ice cap is slowly
breaking up. Earthquakes have been occurring with unfailing
regularity and a few major volcanic eruptions.

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.

Well Jim I am certainly aware that earthquakes and volcanoes are not
weather ! However, they ARE natural events which are occurring more
frequently, or so it seems.

I am sure you know everything, I don't, I go by what I read.

I dont pretend to know everything, and I dont know what you are reading.
At present there are a number of Russian fishing boats, with 600 men on
board, stuck in the ice in the Sea of Okhotsk. They are trapped because
the ice froze so fast, they could not get out in time. The Russians know
these water like the back of their hand, but were utterly amazed at how
fast the ice froze. They have dispatched one of their largest nuclear
icebreakers to the scene in a desperate attempt to rescue the boats. If
necessary, they can rescue the men by helicopter. There are few signs
that the Arctic ice cap is breaking up. Jim.

Old January 5th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener[_3_]

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.

I am sure you know everything, I don't, I go by what I read.

I dont pretend to know everything, and I dont know what you are reading.
At present there are a number of Russian fishing boats, with 600 men on
board, stuck in the ice in the Sea of Okhotsk. They are trapped because
the ice froze so fast, they could not get out in time. The Russians know
these water like the back of their hand, but were utterly amazed at how
fast the ice froze. They have dispatched one of their largest nuclear
icebreakers to the scene in a desperate attempt to rescue the boats. If
necessary, they can rescue the men by helicopter. There are few signs
that the Arctic ice cap is breaking up. Jim.

I provided a link - http://tinyurl.com/37vesby

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...a_Melting.html

Let's not forget the Antarctic........... I couldn't find the excellent
blurb written by one of the Australians, but this says the same thing. (&
given that our lack of rain is intrinsically linked to the Southern
Oscillation Index I'm rather interested in the whole thing - before I pack
up and move to Hobart!!)

Joanne in Western Australia

Old January 7th 11, 11:22 AM
MAITLAND.JARED MAITLAND.JARED is offline
Junior Member

It depends on your personality, your friends personality, and your relationship. if you are both really outgoing people who like to celebrate traditionally, go for it!..
Old January 7th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

wrote:

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, we normally bitch about cold and snow, this year
it's over in the UK causing havoc. Florida had seriously low
temperatures (for them) recently and the arctic ice cap is slowly
breaking up. Earthquakes have been occurring with unfailing
regularity and a few major volcanic eruptions.

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.

Tell that to the polar bears. And to the folks in Nunavut who had rain
for Christmas. I know that you don't believe in global warming, Jim.
I'll believe the real experts.

MargW
Old January 8th 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Maureen Grace-Miller

MargW wrote:

wrote:

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, we normally bitch about cold and snow, this year
it's over in the UK causing havoc. Florida had seriously low
temperatures (for them) recently and the arctic ice cap is slowly
breaking up. Earthquakes have been occurring with unfailing
regularity and a few major volcanic eruptions.

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.

Tell that to the polar bears. And to the folks in Nunavut who had rain
for Christmas. I know that you don't believe in global warming, Jim.
I'll believe the real experts.

MargW

I agree with Jim. There is no Global Warming. A professor once said to
me that a real expert is nothing more than a sticky puddle in your sink
because the prefix 'ex' means 'used to be', and 'pert' is a brand of
shampoo. Even my professor wouldn't believe a sticky mass that used to
be shampoo, real or not!

Running and ducking....

Maureen
Old January 8th 11, 11:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

MargW ) writes:
wrote:

No doubt about it, world weather has gone crazy. Australia is usually
thirsty for water, we normally bitch about cold and snow, this year
it's over in the UK causing havoc. Florida had seriously low
temperatures (for them) recently and the arctic ice cap is slowly
breaking up. Earthquakes have been occurring with unfailing
regularity and a few major volcanic eruptions.

Sorry. Earthquakes and volcanos are nothing to do with weather. And the
Arctic ice cap is NOT breaking up. Jim.

Tell that to the polar bears. And to the folks in Nunavut who had rain
for Christmas. I know that you don't believe in global warming, Jim.
I'll believe the real experts.

MargW

Marg, It is not that the earth has not warmed in the past 30 years or
so; it has. It is not that CO2 is not a greenhouse gas; it is. It is
just that all the evidence shows that CO2 cannot cause the temperature
rise that has been observed.

To quote Richard Feynman, a Nobel Laureate in Physics "Science is the
belief in the ignorance of experts". Jim.
Old January 8th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Karen C in Calif wrote:
In the mid-1800s -- right around the time that many cities started
keeping weather records -- we were in the middle of a "mini Ice Age".
Therefore, the fact that we are now warmer than at any time in the past
150 years COULD just mean that we have returned to normal.

Climate change has been with us since the dawn of time. No one could
possibly blame cars and factories for the Great Ice Age 10,000 years
ago. Yes, mankind has had some detrimental effect on the planet, but
it's not enough to cause the sort of climate change being blamed on humans.

And no one wants to mention that cows and other large animals, put
MORE METHANE into the air from their poo than all of the vehicles
combined! For some strange reason, several years ago this info was in
an article in Aviation Weekly, of all places -- LOL. Humans are NOT
causing the changes, we are only contributing to something Mother Earth
is doing on her own!! That doesn't mean we should go merrily along the
way polluting the crap out of our environment, tho'!!
I always point out that we PUNY HUMANS can't do much long term
damage to the planet -- we only change OUR personal environment -- all
the stuff that we have decided is "right". We do screw up all sorts of
stuff like rain forests, animal populations, cause oil spills that
totally desecrate our oceans, etc. Fortunately, Mother Earth can heal
herself eventually. This might mean getting rid of the humans but that
will be something we have brought on ourselves.
And did any of you watch the program on the Science Channel a week
or so ago about the ice in Antarctica? People are drilling bazillions
of miles down into the ice in different places to see if the continent
has had warming trends in the past. Looks like that has happened
several times in the geologic past. Heaven help the coastal areas if
the ice *really* decides to melt!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 9th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener[_3_]

Default OT - Climate Change. (sorry, rant heavy)

climate Change

While I put my faith in the huge body of scientific evidence that there is
climate change, I realise that there is a body of belief that can't see it.
It might help if the term global warming is consigned to history and we all
embrace the more correct term "Climate Change"
http://www.epa.gov/methane/scientific.html
http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/atm...-graphics.html THis
is a graph of methane found in ice cores from Greenland and the Antarctic.
I think it shows the rather staggering rise of recent times. Yes cows make
methane, we keep cows on land that was once rainforest (among many other
places that we didn't 80 years ago), we need more slaughterhouses, more
trucks to cart it to market, more refrigeration to keep it cold etc etc. I
doubt McDonalds could really turn a profit on a soy-lentil burger that was
fair trade and sustainably produced - and I for one wouldn't want to eat it.
It is a delusion to think the problem or the solution is one dimensional.

The US government (links above are government instumentalities) is a little
careful about wanting to introduce greenhouse gas reduction laws, given the
bigger issues on their mind it is no wonder. China and India don't want
their growth stifled, after all they were both agrarian subsistance
economies when this problem had its genesis. So if the three biggest
polluters can't see their way clear to move towards quantifiable changes,
then the rest of the world is in trouble. Living in a first world country,
in comfort, I find it challenging to say to people living in poverty and
starvation that they can't aspire to the same standard of living as me on
the basis that their move to affluence will cause greater greenhouse gas
production, if I am not willing to reduce my footprint.

I am living the change now - it is hotter, and hotter for longer, it is
dryer (dams at less than 30% capacity - if there's no rain next winter a
city of 2 million people is in dire trouble), we consume like never before,
we air condition everything that stands still, the idea of cycling/walking
to the shops is foreign to most people, life in deprivation is not having a
plasma screen............and i could bang on for hours.

It is simply one of the things that if you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the problem.

Joanne

Old January 9th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default Weather changes was Australian floods - Our Oz posters

On 1/8/2011 10:15 AM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
F.James Cripwell wrote:

Marg, It is not that the earth has not warmed in the past 30 years or
so; it has.

In the mid-1800s -- right around the time that many cities started
keeping weather records -- we were in the middle of a "mini Ice Age".
Therefore, the fact that we are now warmer than at any time in the past
150 years COULD just mean that we have returned to normal.

Climate change has been with us since the dawn of time. No one could
possibly blame cars and factories for the Great Ice Age 10,000 years
ago. Yes, mankind has had some detrimental effect on the planet, but
it's not enough to cause the sort of climate change being blamed on humans.

For once, I really agree with you, Karen. JIm ,too.It is My belief this
is a cyclical change, Just a very beginning of one, but that is what it is.

However, more important is that we have communication ways ,,which were
not around before.

My weather station updates all data to my computer; and from there to
the National folk.

Way back, there were no such things, and either word of mouth, or typed
reports is what was available.

Gillian

OT - Australian floods - ping Bronnie ME-Judy[_2_] Quilting 5 January 2nd 11 10:39 AM
Floods & ND ellice Needlework 7 April 1st 09 09:28 PM
Midwestern floods Olwyn Mary Needlework 1 June 30th 08 03:25 PM
Floods in England Shillelagh Yarn 28 July 31st 07 12:22 AM
Newcastle (Au) floods Pat P Needlework 11 June 12th 07 11:23 AM