New Years resolution?

Old December 30th 03, 08:53 PM
Olwynmary

My resolution is to finally, finally, finish with this interior reno work, so
that I can finally actually unpack, and we can get rid of all the many cartons
and crates, and use the house.

Hint: from one who has btdt. Once you have finished whole-house things like
rewiring, finish one room at a time, completely, get it furnished and all in
order, then move on to the next room. That way, you can see real progress, as
you have more and more rooms into which to escape instead of living permanently
on a construction site.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 30th 03, 09:49 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

And cutting regular soda out of my diet is one of the main changes I
made to my diet. I was a Mountain Dew-aholic. Just getting rid of all
those calories had me drop the first 30 pounds without even knowing I
was doing it.

As for butter being more expensive. I watch the sales at my grocery
store and stockup when the butter goes on sale. It freezes very well
and thaws just fine. Just have to remember to take it out of the
freezer an hour or so before I need to use it.

Yup, calories is calories, fat-free, carb-free or not. Eat more than
you burn and it still ends up as fat.

I do still drink skim milk because that is what I grew up drinking and
the other stuff tastes like I am drinking cream, but I do cook with
whole milk, half and half, and cream. Being single has it's advantages
when it comes to eating. I occasionally go off on some rather oddball
food tangents, but I only have to please myself when I comes to what I
make for my meals.

Karen C - California wrote:

In article , Joan Erickson
writes:

I always knew there was a reason I didn't like margarine!!!

Yep. I did buy it for a few years when I was a poor starving student because
it was much cheaper than butter. But I didn't like the taste, and it didn't
work properly in baking (margarine often has a higher water content than
butter), so I went back to butter. I don't use that much that the slight extra
cost makes that big a difference in my budget.

Then when I got sick, I started reading about foods that are easier to digest,
and found that butter is way ahead of margarine in that regard.

It's not the fat you eat, it's the amount of food you eat. XH found some
fat-free cookies and gorged himself. I then compared the calorie count of his
fat-free to my regular, and there really wasn't much difference; certainly not
enough to justify eating a whole bag in one sitting. You can have fried
chicken if you crave it, you just can't eat a whole bucketful. Have one piece
of chicken and a big serving of corn (50 calories) or baked potato (100
calories) to fill up the rest of the plate.

My whole milk has only 50 calories more than your non-fat, and sticks with me
all morning, so I'm not hitting the vending machine during morning coffee
break, and more than make up for the extra calories.

And be aware of the things you drink, too. A 64-ounce SuperDuper-size soda is
1000 calories, but since you don't chew it, you may not even notice that you've
gotten most of a day's recommended calories from that cup. (But it's
fat-free! And cholesterol-free!)

Old December 30th 03, 09:54 PM
Jeri

"Joan Erickson" wrote in message

snip
I'm a sort-of follower of Atkins (my own version--cut
waaaay down on carbs but not eliminate them entirely) and I've lost 12
pounds in the last 4 months.

Congrats on the loss. I just want to make a small clarification. Atkins
doesn't advocate eliminating all carbs. It's low carb not no carb. )

Old December 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Joan Erickson

Jeri wrote:
"Joan Erickson" wrote in message

snip

I'm a sort-of follower of Atkins (my own version--cut
waaaay down on carbs but not eliminate them entirely)

Congrats on the loss. I just want to make a small clarification. Atkins
doesn't advocate eliminating all carbs. It's low carb not no carb. )

Yes, of course, you're right! I just don't go quite as low as the diet
suggests. I also refuse to quit drinking milk--I've seen first-hand
what osteoporosis does to a person! I have been amazed at my progress,
considering I haven't exercised at all! )))

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old December 30th 03, 10:55 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Joan Erickson wrote:
I always knew there was a reason I didn't like margarine!!!
I've often wondered how much of an effect all of these
prepared foods have been having on us. Who knows? Maybe some of the
chemicals in them are the real culprits in things like the rising
occurrence of ADD or some other syndromes that have come to light in the
last few years. Just a thought.

Great post, Joan. g Just last week husband and I were discussing
this very thing because of a show on public radio which talked about
this link. I've been against all these products for at least 25 years.
I am firmly convinced that margarine and many other "processed"
products which include trans-fatty acids are the culprit behind many
problems, even childhood Type II diabetes, which was unheard of 20 years
ago. I realize our U.S. culture is also a culprit - too much junk food,
too little activity. People are constantly eating. But what they are
eating is generally bad for them.

Same thing with shortening. I use lard. I just don't have very many
pies. But when I have one, I want a GOOD one. grin

Dianne

Old December 30th 03, 11:01 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Only one sentence untrue. Margarine is not good for you. Nor is using
2 tablespoons of butter on a piece of toast. But it IS true that
margarine is more harmful. And I suspect they will learn how much more
harmful as time wears on.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Dianne

JL Amerson wrote:

This is a very common misconception. Go to www.snopes.com and check it out.
EVERYTHING is only one molecule away from being something else.

(I received a junk email recently that mentioned this and it seemed kinda
"hinky" so I checked it out for myself in Snopes. I don't use margarine but
not for any misconceptions about it being almost plastic. I use butter
because it tastes better, plain and simple.)

"Joan Erickson" wrote in message
(snip)

And here is the most disturbing fact....

Margarine is but ONE molecule away from being Plastic.

This fact alone was enough to have many avoiding margarine for life and
anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in
your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a
couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go
near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently...because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on
it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

I always knew there was a reason I didn't like margarine!!! I've

Old December 31st 03, 12:25 AM
Rachel Janzen

Joan Erickson wrote:

You can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in
your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a
couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go
near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell
differently...because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on
it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

I don't know if I've told this story here before, so if I have, bear
with me. I'm invloved with the social committee at work and a couple of
years ago we had our annual summer picnic in the beginning of July. Then
midway through September, we held another b-b-q at work. We used up left
over supplies from the earlier event. We knew where the hamburgers, buns
, etc. where but the cheese wasn't with it. So I went looking. I located
it with the paper plates etc. Not refrigerated and not moldy. So
apparently there isn't any food in cheese slices. No, we didn't use it
at the September B-B-Q either.

Rachel

Old December 31st 03, 05:13 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Anne Tuchscherer had some very
interesting things to say about OT: Fat - was, New Years
resolution?:

I do still drink skim milk because that is what I grew up drinking and
the other stuff tastes like I am drinking cream, but I do cook with
whole milk, half and half, and cream. Being single has it's advantages
when it comes to eating. I occasionally go off on some rather oddball
food tangents, but I only have to please myself when I comes to what I
make for my meals.

I just hope you get around to getting that oven thermostat fixed soon!
:-)

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old December 31st 03, 05:41 AM
Cheryl Isaak

I've never been much a soda person and cannot stand the Dew! (I won't share
the local nickname for the stuff!)
I've been slowly and steadily losing weight - I've added more fruit and
veggies to my diet and switched to whole grain breads. Also just eating much
less at meals; 2 smaller portions of the main course if I wanted more.

And the final trick - never parking as close as possible, but as far away as
possible.

Cheryl

On 12/30/03 4:49 PM, in article
, "Anne Tuchscherer"
wrote:

[...]

Old December 31st 03, 02:41 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/30/03 12:04 PM, in article , "Ellice"
wrote:

On 12/29/03 3:34 PM,"Anne Tuchscherer" posted:

Does anyone have a New Year's resolution they would like to share?

Mine stems from a fairly new show on TV called Clean Sweep. It has
inspired me to dejunk and organize my home. I won't be able to unload

Wow - I love this resolution. Have you seen the British version - Life
Laundry - on BBCA?

I like it better then Clean Sweep. But I sure could use some help. We have
the entire contents of DH's parents house - boxes of books, pictures and
just plain old stuff!

My resolution is to finally, finally, finish with this
interior reno work, so that I can finally actually unpack, and we can get
rid of all the many cartons and crates, and use the house.

And I'll be moving boxes so we can start the room over the garage - to be
used for the train layout and the slot car layout. And I'll finally get the
pantry sorted out

And let people
inside ;^) I've laid out a time-line, and am determined to have a welcome
spring party, and a Passover seder here (for our normal crowd of 14-20).

Sounds great - but don't exhaust yourself!

What is in good/decent shape will be donated to various charities that
can either sell the item or use it themselves.

A great idea. I'm convincing DH that we don't need his family yard tools
from before we were born. That rusty hoe isn't an antique - it's just
decrepit. Our resolution is to get the storage unit cleared out within the
next 2 months. And I'm going thru some of my "prior life" career clothes,
and donating them to a charity that helps women going back into the work
world - either from welfare, or other tough situations. They need clothing
for interviews, etc - and I have a lot of clothes that I just am not going
to be using again, so....

I'd love to have an American version of Cash in the Attic help me sell some
of the extra furniture. I'd swear my MIL never tossed an old lamp! Some of
them are down right bizarre - think 60's!

My other resolution is to continue my weight loss. 50 pounds since
February. Slow and steady wins the race.

Good for you. I'm joining back to Weight Watchers next week, and DH (who
would like to lose his little extra mid-section bit) is encouraging. He of
course will lose 15# in 2 or 3 weeks, and it'll take me a year to take off
all I want to lose to get back to "normal" but, heck.

I am slowing taking off the pounds - I refuse to do WW -locally it is a club
for the Stepford Wives of the area. What's that phrase from the commercial -
2-3 vanity pounds. A friend tried it and got no support from the other women
because she had "let herself go".

DH's resolution for me was that I have to lay out our 3 month calendar, and
find the week that I'm checking in to "Club Hopkins" to deal with the
medical issues. What a pain - hah.

Do it!

Other resolutions -
Work out every day in the gym (in the house) - like a good girl. Skate at
least 8 hrs a week once I can - get a skate on the bad foot - that is.

Work on a UFO for at least 20 min before stitching on whatever I really want
to do. And actually have a good list of WIP ;^)

Be more disciplined with the design side, and work more organizedly.
Prioritize getting some models stitched (canvas work, with decorative
stitches - if you're interested, contact me)

Keep the house clean. Well, let me correct that - keep it un-messy. We've
sunk into disorder and it drives me crazy.

Not write spiteful posts. Think before hitting send! I've been trying ;^)

Plan around my procrastinating - I would never resolve to stop, that's
impossible - just need to plan effectively for it ;^)

Okay, I'm exhausted already. Too much resolving.

Mine - to go more of DS games and maybe find a sitter for DD to go to some
of the later ones.
Clean out the basement as much a possible.

BOOK SHELVES as needed! Get my favorites out again!

Go to DC area and visit!
Cheryl