Need Help -- lost and found diamond -- defective ring?

Old July 13th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Need Help -- lost and found diamond -- defective ring?

Hi everyone,

I posted this in another forum and am reposting this in an effort to
get more advice.. Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated...

I need some advice about the engagement ring that I gave to my
girlfriend.. We live in Japan, and also I bought the ring from a
fairly high-end shop here after months of research..

It has a quite a unique looking design which i hadnt seen before which
is why I decided on it, but after a two months of wearing it, the ring
bent a bit which in turn let the diamond fall out.. Needless to say,
it was quite stressful and traumatic (especially for my girlfriend)
but we found the diamond after some hours searching..

We took the ring back to the store, and they said that the ring was a
little bit too loose, and maybe my girlfriend might have held
something heavy or hit the ring on something which warped the metal...
(90% platinum), which let out the diamond..

So they adjusted in their shop to make the size smaller, however when
we got back the ring, the curvature of the design seemed a bit
squished which made the ring seem a bit different from the original
design..

But we overlooked this, and my girlfriend was real hesitant with
wearing the ring, so she wore it just maybe three times in two
weeks... After which, when re-examining the ring, we noticed that the
main body of the ring seemed to be bending a bit.. the diamond was
still secure, but because we the curvature of the ring was noticably
changed, we took the ring back...

We complained and had a heated discussion at the shop, in which they
basically said that 90% platinum+alloy is actually much softer than
18k gold and its not uncommon for this to happen.. What they said they
could do is ask their design studio to alter slightly the ring design,
which we agreed to....

So essentially my question(s) are this:

1)Does each time the store adjusts the ring, cause the ring
constitution/structure to become weaker?

2) Is it possible that the ring was defective to begin with, and if
so, how would we know?

3) One advice I got was to have the store make the necessary
adjustments and then have then guarantee that the stone will not fall
out for a period of 5 years.. Is this normal in jewelry stores to
offer such a "protection plan"?

I would like to ask them just to make a new ring, but I would only ask
this if I know that the ring structure is already damaged, or if I
knew that the ring is somehow defective..

I can send picture if needed...

any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Old July 14th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lemel_man

wrote:
Hi everyone,

I posted this in another forum and am reposting this in an effort to
get more advice.. Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated...

.................................................. ..............

Can you post a URL to a photo?

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
Old July 14th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:
[...]

Youve come to the right place.
There are several very experienced jewellers who will be able to
advise you.
However as always the case since we cannot hold it in the hand so to
speak, well need some very good close up jpeg images to study.

We await these with interest.
We also would find helpful to know who was the ring maker, wether its
properly hall marked ie aasayed as platinum, and the name of the place
you bought it with their web address.
We need all thisinformation to assess your problem.
Old July 14th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

lemel_man schrieb:

It has a quite a unique looking design which i hadnt seen before which
is why I decided on it, but after a two months of wearing it, the ring
bent a bit which in turn let the diamond fall out.. Needless to say,
it was quite stressful and traumatic (especially for my girlfriend)
but we found the diamond after some hours searching..

We took the ring back to the store, and they said that the ring was a
little bit too loose, and maybe my girlfriend might have held
something heavy or hit the ring on something which warped the metal...
(90% platinum), which let out the diamond..

So they adjusted in their shop to make the size smaller, however when
we got back the ring, the curvature of the design seemed a bit
squished which made the ring seem a bit different from the original
design..

I guess this could be the type of ring where the stone is only fixed with the
tension of th the whole ring, like that?
http://www.schmuck-boerse.com/ring/29/detail.htm
These rings must be produced in hard alloy and with an minimum size for
sufficient tension.
Better is to set a small stick below the diamond which hold the both ends
together.

But we overlooked this, and my girlfriend was real hesitant with
wearing the ring, so she wore it just maybe three times in two
weeks...

It is nothing personal with the OP. And I have no real doubt that this is
true. However nearly any customer who came to my store and workshop in the
last nearly thirty years and had some complaints, told me that he or his wife
had word the ring three times. Some rings were totally worn down an had
hundreds of scratches within years, some have been worn only some months.
Is the number "three times worn" some holy mystery which I don´t know?
No one told me it was worn two times or four times, always three times.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck Gutachter und Schmuckverkauf http://www.butschal.de
Schmuck nach Maß anfertigen http://www.meister-atelier.de
Old July 14th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Cyli

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:20:02 GMT, Heinrich Butschal
wrote:

But we overlooked this, and my girlfriend was real hesitant with
wearing the ring, so she wore it just maybe three times in two
weeks...

It is nothing personal with the OP. And I have no real doubt that this is
true. However nearly any customer who came to my store and workshop in the
last nearly thirty years and had some complaints, told me that he or his wife
had word the ring three times. Some rings were totally worn down an had
hundreds of scratches within years, some have been worn only some months.
Is the number "three times worn" some holy mystery which I don´t know?
No one told me it was worn two times or four times, always three times.

It's the same with DWI, according to police. "I had a couple of
drinks officer." "How many? "Just a couple. I had two drinks,
officer." Police tend to laugh heartily when telling that one at
coffee breaks. Lord pity the poor soul who _has_ only had two drinks
and is that easily impaired.

Took me at least 8 months and it might even have been two years and 8
months to break the one ring I broke (other than the soft gold one I
had a habit of biting when nervous). I got it for a Christmas present
and broke it killing an ant on a hot summer day at a picnic.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old July 14th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Don T.

"Heinrich Butschal" wrote in message

[...]

Heinrich. Yes. It is a "holy mystery". The number three is used by drunk
drivers in the USA when the policeman asks how many drinks he/she has had.
Three beers, three drinks, three, three, three. It is used by people needing
appliances repaired, " I tried THREE times to make the thing work", the
technician then plugs the appliance into the mains outlet. Three is a
magical number. I could give more examples but I think this is enough.

--

Don Thompson

Stolen from Dan: "Just thinking, besides, I watched 2 dogs mating once,
and that makes me an expert. "

There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance.
~Goethe

It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom;
it is another sight finer to fight for another man's.
~Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old July 15th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sterling

Gez, you guys missed the point entirely! The guy said she wore the ring for
2 months before the diamond fell out. Then after he got it fix, he said it
still didn't look "right" so she was reluctant to wear it [all the time] so
only wore it a few times (maybe 3 times) within a 2 week period. He said
the diamond was still secure after it was fixed... but he thinks there is
still something wrong with the ring.

Maybe the point you guys should be discussing is the fact that the diamond
fell out after wearing it for 2 months. Sounds to me like it wasn't set
right to begin with but then again, I am not a jeweler or a metalsmith so I
wouldn't know. But I do know that I would begin to suspect shoddy
workmanship if the stone fell out of a new ring after wearing it only 2
months.

Let the dude post his pictures and then make your judgments.

Sterling

Old July 15th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Sterling schrieb:
Gez, you guys missed the point entirely! The guy said she wore the ring for
2 months before the diamond fell out. Then after he got it fix, he said it
still didn't look "right" so she was reluctant to wear it [all the time] so
only wore it a few times (maybe 3 times) within a 2 week period. He said
the diamond was still secure after it was fixed... but he thinks there is
still something wrong with the ring.

The more the op insist to get a specified answer, the less his chance to get it.
In german it´s known as Kathinkas law. :-)

Maybe the point you guys should be discussing is the fact that the diamond
fell out after wearing it for 2 months. Sounds to me like it wasn't set
right to begin with but then again, I am not a jeweler or a metalsmith so I
wouldn't know. But I do know that I would begin to suspect shoddy
workmanship if the stone fell out of a new ring after wearing it only 2
months.

You might loose a diamond within some minutes after you bought the ring and
went out of the jewelery store. Even if the stone was set perfectly.
Its no necessity to wait two month. There is also no time mechanic that stones
will fall out after some time of wearing.
Normally this happens by accident. Clapping hands with two rings e.g. (the
harder one is winning).

Let the dude post his pictures and then make your judgments.

Good Idea

With best regards,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Jewels and diamaonds with certificates http://www.butschal.com
Estate Jewelry http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Old July 15th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

On Jul 13, 8:15 am, wrote:
[...]

This is the URL he posted on Orchid:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessepen...ey=vXAHYkaDqUA

-Minkie

Old July 16th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Thanks for all the replies and the amusing discussion about "three's",
I did ask my girlfriend before and she said "three" and not "two" or
"four"...

I sent a reply here a couple days ago, but perhaps I didnt properly
sent it as I havn't seen it posted yet, but if it appears later pardon
me for the overlap information...

FIrst of all, here is the shop/company I purchased the ring from:

http://www.festaria.jp/index_f.html

Also, I do not know if it properly marked as platinum, I only know
that the store told me it is 90% platinum...

Pictures of the ring can be found on the link from Minkie's reply
above (I posted this same question on Orchid), thank you for that...

Lastly, to reiterate, during the two months of the initial wear, the
actual ring bent out of shape, meaning the circle shape became an
oval, which in turn bent the section that surrounds the ring which
released the diamond.. After we brought the ring back in, the jeweler
said the size of the ring was too big which contributed to this
occurance, and so they sent it back to the bench, and when it came
back it was a smaller ring sized and also as mentioned before,
"squished"-looking in its overall form. Then, after three wears, the
diamond was still completely secure, but we noticed that the ring
body, the circle, was starting to become like an oval again, which is
when we brought it to the store again...

Thanks again for all the help and replies, I really appreciate it,

Jesse

On Jul 16, 7:15 am, minkiemink wrote:

[...]

Valentine's Day Ring - 2ct. Diamond Ring [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 13th 05 02:51 PM
Lost diamond Dale Porter Jewelry 0 May 25th 04 06:34 AM
Looking for custom cut engagement ring, historical jewelry store, or experienced diamond ring designer in Ontario Jimmy Jewelry 2 April 29th 04 06:33 AM
Where to buy a diamond ring- US or Canada? Willow Jewelry 1 September 13th 03 05:38 AM
diamond ring Misia Jewelry 8 July 23rd 03 03:10 PM