New Computer

Old August 10th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default New Computer

my DH got me a new computer....wow! I was amazed and really quite pleased.
The downside is making it look like the old one as far as the programs,
shortcuts and fav. places go. What a pain.

Fortunately, the old one is still working in the sunroom.

Old August 10th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Yeah - I dread being pushed outside my "comfort zone" too,
esp now that my eyesight is so bad. I have everything set
up so I can recognise icons for links and I have macros to
do a lot of things. Upgrade means losing all that.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:

Old August 10th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

you don't have to lose ALL of that... some yes. But you can copy your "favorites" folder to a disk
and copy it on to your new computer. All those quilting links will be right there ready for you.

Programs you will need to install -- no way around that. But all your pictures and things can
easily be moved right from your old to your new. The easiest and fastest way would be via a
cable -- if you could connect the two computers via a USB cable! Copying them to disk would take
longer -- but that would do the job!

Have fun setting up your new computer!

Kate in MI

Old August 10th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Congrats on the new computer. It makes quilting even better!
VBG

When the cannabalistic-masochistic old pc started to eat itself
several "drives" disappeared; no way I could save info to disk.
Darling husband used my digital camera to save most of the files.
I copied my favorites list to emails and sent them to my Yahoo addy.
There they were, waiting for me when the iMac started up.
Took a little more work, opening those links and re-saving them,
but I got 'em.
Meanwhile, as a certain Professional Machine Quilter & Painting Guru
says: run a back-up, save your work, eat more chocolate.

Ragmop/Sandy --quilting is even better w/ an iMac ;-P

Old August 10th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

Congrats on the new computer. It makes quilting even better!
VBG

When the cannabalistic-masochistic old pc started to eat itself
several "drives" disappeared; no way I could save info to disk.
Darling husband used my digital camera to save most of the files.
I copied my favorites list to emails and sent them to my Yahoo addy.
There they were, waiting for me when the iMac started up.
Took a little more work, opening those links and re-saving them,
but I got 'em.
Meanwhile, as a certain Professional Machine Quilter & Painting Guru
says: run a back-up, save your work, eat more chocolate.

Ragmop/Sandy --quilting is even better w/ an iMac ;-P

(Ahem) Or a Mac of any kind! But I agree -- backing up is essential.
It's never a matter of *if* your hard drive will fail; it's only a
matter of *when*. External hard drives are getting larger and cheaper
all the time, so buying one and partitioning it so you have a section
for extra storage and a section for backing up is really practical these
days.

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
my DH got me a new computer....wow! I was amazed and really quite pleased.
The downside is making
it look like the old one as far as the programs, shortcuts and fav. places
go. What a pain.

Fortunately, the old one is still working in the sunroom.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 11th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Thanks guys....Hopefully this weekend DH will show me how to move my files.
We have a network so he said it won't be hard. I just need a little
direction (eg - Get me a Coke dear and I will do it all for you!) Sometimes
DH would rather do it himself then let me muck it up. LOL