Sore face! (OT)

Old August 10th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default Sore face! (OT)

My vet always gives antibiotics in a syringe (no needle) of
paste. Break a notch off the stem of the "plunger" and
that's the dose. Quick squirt in cat's mouth and they
virtually can't spt it out. If that's too hard I just smear
it on or around their mouth or on their feet. Then they
have to clean it of by - yep, you got it - licking.

No more problems.

Ask for paste form med's. Much easier.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Kate Dicey" wrote in
message
: wrote:
:
:
: Poor Sugar Puff. Abscesses can take forever to heal.
It's good that she
: has the antibiotic boost to her system; sometimes they
can heal over on
: the surface before they heal underneath; that's what
happened to my
: Biskit once. Pilling cats can be another whole
adventure, though. It's
: definitely a 2-man job around here.
:
: Sherry
:
: We've dealt with some SERIOUS abscesses in our time!
First cat
: Marmalade has a very nasty bite through his ear (the
fleshy bit by the
: front of the lobe, not the triangle) that took a while and
twice daily
: bathing/draining, one half way down his tail (we thought
he might lose
: it, but bathing and pills fixed it - eventually!), and a
few others!
: Surprisingly, given her feisty temper, this is the first
time Sugar Puff
: has sustained real damage. Cornflake is a big yellow
coward, and the
: only person he gets in tussles with is his little sister,
so he hasn't
: yet had a serious bite - he backs off when she starts
clawing at his
: nose! Given his propensity for getting into trouble, this
is something
: we are grateful for!
:
: She nearly got rid of the pill this evening: James said
Alan hadn't
: shoved it in far enough! Her face is almost back to
normal, and other
: than a slight remaining swelling, a scab, and the pills,
you'd never
: know she'd been hurt. I blame her amazing good health and
speedy
: recovery on her healthy exercise regime, lots of fresh
air, and good
: food - at least some of which she catches for herself!
She certainly
: doesn't look or behave like a middle aged mog!
:
: --
: Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
: Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
:
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
: Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Old August 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jenn in CA

Heya blackrosequilts.

In most cases, cat dander takes two weeks to build up to allergy
levels. Therefore you may torture all your friends with feline QIs by
requiring they bath them before you vist. :-)

A friend of mine is SCARY allergic to cat dander, but has 3 and keeps
them bathed religiously.

Jenn in CA - who throws hers in the full enclosed shower to bath. The
neighbors wonder what all the howling is about, and shocker, it's not
coming from me. :-) They are so busy trying to get through the glass
door they don't think about scratching me.

blackrosequilts wrote:
Cats wrote:

Turns out I am allergic to an enzyme in cat saliva so the
bite led to more than just an infection.

Same here. If a cat licks me I get a welt. But I'm also allergic to
their dander, which is very fine and permeates the air in any house a
cat lives in because walking around raises the dander dust back into the
air. If I have to push a cat away, I have to wash my hands very
quickly, before I touch anything else. And the evil little creatures
make a beeline for me. It's a conspiracy -- they're trying to kill me. ;-)

--

blackrosequilts
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message,

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
------- -\. -------- __o
---- ( )/ ( ) -------- -\.
--------------------- ( )/ ( )

Old August 10th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Only allergic if the enzyme gets "into" me (as in get bitten
and enzyme gets into blood) so my furries can bath me or
give me an affectionate kiss from time to time.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"blackrosequilts" wrote in
message ...
:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts
: ---- ( )/ ( ) -------- -\.
: --------------------- ( )/ ( )
: -----------------------------------------

Old August 10th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

You have to be careful about putting it on their feet if you have more
than one cat though.
Back when Bear was still with us, we could give him his hairball
treatment any way we wanted so long as he got it. He loved the stuff.
Stripey on the other hand hates it. Nothing we can do convinces her
that it is something she ought to eat. So we rub it on her front
paws. Well we discovered that what she was doing for a long time was
going to Bear and having him clean it off her paws.
Now that Bear is gone, we thought she would be forced to lick it up
herself, but now she is trying to con Thorncat into it. Thorncat is
mightily confused. Most days Stripey thinks Thorncat is an
abomination. I guess she thinks worse of petromalt.

NightMist

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:48:06 +1000, "Cats" wrote:

My vet always gives antibiotics in a syringe (no needle) of
paste. Break a notch off the stem of the "plunger" and
that's the dose. Quick squirt in cat's mouth and they
virtually can't spt it out. If that's too hard I just smear
it on or around their mouth or on their feet. Then they
have to clean it of by - yep, you got it - licking.

No more problems.

Ask for paste form med's. Much easier.

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old August 10th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

NightMist wrote:

You have to be careful about putting it on their feet if you have more
than one cat though.
Back when Bear was still with us, we could give him his hairball
treatment any way we wanted so long as he got it. He loved the stuff.
Stripey on the other hand hates it. Nothing we can do convinces her
that it is something she ought to eat. So we rub it on her front
paws. Well we discovered that what she was doing for a long time was
going to Bear and having him clean it off her paws.
Now that Bear is gone, we thought she would be forced to lick it up
herself, but now she is trying to con Thorncat into it. Thorncat is
mightily confused. Most days Stripey thinks Thorncat is an
abomination. I guess she thinks worse of petromalt.

NightMist

Oh, I had to giggle at this! WHAT a cheeky moglet! Dearie me! I am
NOT going to let Sugar Puff read this post - she'd think it was far too
good an idea!

Mind you, it was Cornflake that shook Katelax (sounds like the same sort
of stuff!) off all over the place, so I was finding dried gobbets of
Bovril flavoured and coloured Vaseline all over the place... IKK!

Next time I rub it in more, rather than leaving it on the surface!

Old August 11th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:17:23 -0500, monique wrote
(in article ):

I hate giving medicine to cats! They can spit out a pill faster than a
four-year-old, no matter how well you hide it.

Last time my Mir Cat had to have antibiotics (who knew cats could get
acne?!), the vet gave her the same banana-flavored amoxycilin they give
kids. Whose bright idea was that?! Even with two people on the job,
more got on us and the furniture than into the beast.

Next time I go to a compounding pharmacy and have them put the drugs
into some sort of fish-flavored paste that she can just lap up. If
she'll take straight petroleum jelly right off my finger for hairballs,
she'd surely go for fish-flavor!

Monique in TX

When I was giving katie Mae pills after her surgery for the broken leg, I
learned something at the vet's office that might work for most cats. After I
got the pill into her and was holding her mouth closed, they told me too
shoot a little water into the back of her throat with a syringe (no needle of
course). Just wedge it in there between the cat's teeth and shoot toward the
back of the mouth. The cat swallows the water and the pill at the same time.
Just got to keep the mouth closed long enough to get the water in. It helps
a lot if you already have the water in the syringe.

Maureen

Old August 11th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson

Default give the cat a pill was Sore face! (OT)

How to Give Your Cat a Pill in 10 Easy Steps

1. Sit on sofa. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your elbow
as though you were going to give a bottle to a baby. Talk softly to
it.

2. With right hand, stroke cat's throat until it opens its mouth (be
patient). Drop pill into mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction
it runs.

3. Pick the pill up off the floor and go get the cat. Sit on floor in
kitchen, wrap arm around cat as before, drop pill in mouth. Let go of
cat, noticing the direction it runs.

4. Scoot across floor to pick up pill, and go find the cat. Bring it
back into the kitchen. Hold cat as before, but hold down its front
paws with forearm. Drop pill into mouth.

5. Pry claws from back legs out of your arm. Go get the cat, pick up
half-dissolved pill from floor and drop it into garbage can.

6. Get new pill from bottle. Go into bathroom and get a fluffy towel.
Stay in the bathroom with the cat, and close the door.

7. Sit on bathroom floor, wrap towel around kitty, leaving only his
head exposed. Cradle kitty in the crook of your arm, and pick up pill
off of counter.

8. Retrieve cat from top of shower door (you didn't know that cats can
jump 5 feet straight up in the air, did you?), and wrap towel around
it a little tighter, making sure its paws can't come out this time.
With fingers at either side of its jaw, pry it open and pop pill into
mouth. Quickly close mouth (his, not yours).

9. Sit on floor with cat in your lap, stroking it under the chin and
talking gently to it for at least a half hour, while the pill
dissolves.

10. Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy
water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for
7-1/2 hours, and then repeat.

Old August 11th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:40:21 -0400, Bonnie Patterson
wrote:

[...]

I actually just put up photos of how I give pills to Sasha. I have
a new album at webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/Jo_in_Scotland

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 11th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Thanks, Jo.
Very sweet of you to take so much time over this. Lucky Sasha.
I've had a couple of hateful cats and a couple of crazy Siamese
(aren't they all?), all had to have pills at some time;
I just wrapped them in a towel, loved all over them and slipped
the pill down their gullets.
By the time you get your motar&pestle out, Dusty will have been
dosed & kissed, eaten her treat & climbed back under the quilt. VBG
Whatever works!

Ragmop/Sandy--w/ a crazy q.i. who loves her quilts but hates rain,
thunder, lightning and sprinkles hitting the skylight ;-D
http://tinyurl.com/ktdkh

Old August 12th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:25:08 GMT, Sandy Ellison
wrote:

Howdy!

Thanks, Jo.
Very sweet of you to take so much time over this. Lucky Sasha.
I've had a couple of hateful cats and a couple of crazy Siamese
(aren't they all?), all had to have pills at some time;
I just wrapped them in a towel, loved all over them and slipped
the pill down their gullets.
By the time you get your motar&pestle out, Dusty will have been
dosed & kissed, eaten her treat & climbed back under the quilt. VBG
Whatever works!

Ragmop/Sandy--w/ a crazy q.i. who loves her quilts but hates rain,
thunder, lightning and sprinkles hitting the skylight ;-D
http://tinyurl.com/ktdkh

We do this twice a day. I've never forced Sasha to do anything.
She usually does what I want by persuasion. It's a good way to go....

-- Jo in Scotland