REPOST Interested in a postcard swap?

Old February 4th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default REPOST Interested in a postcard swap?

I'm trying to find out if there is any additional interest in a
centralized postcard swap. I've had a few responses to the first post-
y'all don't need to remind me again. g Just checking for weekend
rctq-ers who might have missed the original post.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 4th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I'm trying to find out if there is any additional interest in a
centralized postcard swap.

Hi Leslie,
What do you do with the postcards once you have them? Hang them on the
wall? Leave them out around your sewing room for inspiration?
Actually mail them to people? I am trying to get involved in more
swaps, and I like the idea of trying to make an ATC or two, but I'm
still trying to get my mind around them. Yours are certainly
inspiring.

Lynn

Old February 4th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'll tell you one thing - kids love them! Most any child I know loves
to get mail - but I have never seen more enthusiasm for mail as I have
when Billy gets a fabric postcard! He has been the proud and lucky
recipient of a special post card from Leslie - but he also made a
friend at the IQF this past year, who has been sending him fabric art
cards ever since!

I have sent a couple to friends of ours with children and I am told
they get the same response.

If you just want to try it out, get your feet wet - think of a child
you know who would love to receive some mail and make them a postcard!
They aren't highly critical of your work and I can assure you, they
will be thrilled!

The same would be true of kids in health care situations. They would
love surprise mail also!

Hugs,
Tina

Old February 4th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Leslie - this is kind of off the topic of your swap, sorry, but I have
a question for you. Since you seem to be the current Post Card
officianado among us, he he he

Do you know if there are, what they are, postal
requirements/restrictions for mailing fiber art postcards?

The ones that Billy's other friend has been sending to him are 4 x 6
and I know they have to say "Postcard" on the back. But she even puts
fringe and stuff like that on them and I was wondering if the post
office had any restrictions about "accessorizing" your postcards. Do
they have to be totally flat? No loose dangly pieces? things like
that?

Have any input?

Hugs and TIA,
Tina

Old February 4th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina-

Other than the restriction to a size of 4X6 in. and the word "postcard"
on the addrsss side, the only other one I know of is that they must be
1/8 in. thick or less. Someone's website said the post office actually
has a gadget they slide the card in to check to see if it's too thick.
I'm sure the thicker ones would go as well, but not as a postcard???
You'd have to check on that. Also, if your card has loose/dangly
things or beads, coins, buttons, etc. you should ask for it to be hand
canceled- at the window I guess. I doubt if you toss it in the mail
slot that it would get special care. Another website said she puts
them into an envelope to mail- she doesn't trust the post office to
handle it with care and get it to the recipient. I have read that
feathers, beads and couched yarns have all made it safely thru the
system. I have no personal experience other than mailing several in a
plastic bag inside a large envelope. Sorry I couldn't be more
helpful.....

Leslie (making Valentine's Day postcards for our granddarlings in NH
and praying their eveil mother will let the kids have them!) & The
Furbabies in MO.

Old February 4th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know what you are talking about....Joshua keeps coveting the one and only
postcard that I still refuse to give up...it has hot air balloons on it, and
he liked it so much, he made a ATC card (watercolor pencil) that looks
similar to my postcard.
Teri

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

oups.com...

Old February 4th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know you are asking Leslie about this....but I really wanted to chime
in.....about 12 years ago or so, I volunteered in a local art center, they
often had exhibits, and one exhibit that was showing while I had my short
stint there, was called "mail art"...I was so surprised to find out that
almost anything, any shape, could me mailed....as long as it had stamps
(postage) on it.
I think even one person sent an empty milk carton. I don't recall any fiber
art...but it was so long ago, and at that time, it was not my interest.
That was the first time I had ever heard of "mail art"...but it is really
interesting. Apparently the entire "mail" is the art, the envelope, or the
package it came in, the stamp, the artwork on the package, and even the
contents.
do a google search and you will find some interesting stuff.
Teri

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

ups.com...

Old February 5th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I would recommend putting your postcard in an envelope, especially if
it has dangly things. Even if you ask for it to be hand cancelled,
there is a strong possibility that it will go thru a high speed
automatic sorter. Strings or danglely things could get caught. They
might not accept it that way, I know they won't accept a parcel tied
with string. Also, look on the back of most any letter you get --
you'll see light orange letters printed. Each letter signifies one
pass thru a sorter. These would get printed on the face or non-address
side of your postcard. If this is part of the "mail art" experience,
ok. If not put it in an envelope.
Shana

Old February 5th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In Alaska, literally anything can show up as mail. Tires, cases of
Coca-Cola. People out in the wild have no local post office -- or
grocery store.

People who raise chickens get newborn chicks in the mail. Also honey
bees. I was in the Dallas-Fort Worth facility at the airport once and
the sound of baby chicks was deafening. Apparently chicks are still
feeding off their yolk for a few days after they hatch and it is safe
to mail them then. Unfortunately, they attracted a lot of snakes.
There were signs everywhere. Ughhh!.

Shana

NO SEW SWAP REPOST ~KK in BC~ Quilting 8 November 16th 05 07:49 AM
Yellow swap repost Kathy Applebaum Quilting 0 August 9th 05 02:57 PM
REPOST Yellow Charm Swap Announcement Kathy Applebaum Quilting 0 August 1st 05 03:21 PM
REPOST Yellow Charm Swap Announcement Kathy Applebaum Quilting 1 July 23rd 05 07:18 PM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM