carving wheel for grinder?

Old November 16th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

Default carving wheel for grinder?

Hi all,

Some time back I recall seeing an accessory that was basically a
chainsaw blade made to fit onto a hand grinder. I've been searching all
over the web, but can't seem to find it. Any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Old November 16th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

Its called the Arbortech. Harbor Freight sells it. Amazon as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...ords=arbortech

No experience with it. I have considered myself. Hope this helps.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Old November 16th 05, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:06:06 -0500, "exotic-scales"
wrote:

Hi all,

Some time back I recall seeing an accessory that was basically a
chainsaw blade made to fit onto a hand grinder. I've been searching all
over the web, but can't seem to find it. Any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe.
Try Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?deptid=2207

Bob Weiske

Old November 17th 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:06:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"exotic-scales" quickly quoth:

Hi all,

Some time back I recall seeing an accessory that was basically a
chainsaw blade made to fit onto a hand grinder. I've been searching all
over the web, but can't seem to find it. Any pointers would be much
appreciated.

There are several different types.

Lancelot, the chainsaw type, is the type I bought from www.katools.com

The carbide cutters on a disc can be had from www.arbortech.com.au

A third type is the Kutzall sintered carbide bead disk. Here is one
source: http://www.qualitycarvingsupplies.com/store/page2.html
(Lee Valley is up to $68 on these now. Ouch!)

All fit the standard $10 Harbor Fright (and real) 4-1/2" angle
grinders.

--
REBOOT AMERICA!
-----------------------

Old November 21st 05, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.carving

wrote:

Some time back I recall seeing an accessory that was basically a
chainsaw blade made to fit onto a hand grinder.

Avoid them - they're certainly more dangerous than _I'm_ prepared to
use. The problem is kickback.

A much better idea is the Arbortech disk, which is a solid steel disk
with teeth. They work just as well and they're much more controllable.
They also do a carbide-tipped pro model, but I've yet to feel the need
for one.

As well as _good_ face protection I wear a leather smithing apron. Those
things cut big chips and they throw them hard!