Help identifying where I can buy a ring

Old August 10th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
michaelphill

Default Help identifying where I can buy a ring

I'm looking to purchase an identical or similar ring to this one:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring1ad4.jpg

I was told it is "southwest" style, but I'm not sure if that's correct
or even what that means exactly. It was purchased at a street fair.

There is a marking on the inside of it; but I'm not sure if it's
relevant:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring2ny8.jpg

It appears to be the word "STER" or "SIER" --- not sure if "Ster" is
an abbreviation for "Sterling." There is also a small shape that may
be a logo.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old August 10th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:10:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry michaelphill
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase an identical or similar ring to this one:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring1ad4.jpg

I was told it is "southwest" style, but I'm not sure if that's correct
or even what that means exactly. It was purchased at a street fair.

The style is somewhat in the vein of american indian jewelry such as one can
find being made in the Southwest. Thus the term. This piece, with the inlaid
sections being filled with a mix of epoxy and crushed stone, is made for the
white mans taste, not the american indians use. A lot of stuff like this was,
during the craze for american indian jewelry especially during the 80s, cranked
out in large amounts in asia, for sale to tourists, so you've no guarantee work
like this is actually made in the U.S. or by native american workers, but some
is, so you can't say it isn't made by them either. The style is most
reminiscent of the work done by Hopi smiths, but the good work has inlaid
patterns filled with fitted single pieces of stone, not the crushed stone/epoxy
mix.

I'd guess some searching though sources of american indian style jewelry should
find such things easily enough. If not, any decent silver smith could make one
for you.

There is a marking on the inside of it; but I'm not sure if it's
relevant:

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring2ny8.jpg

It appears to be the word "STER" or "SIER" --- not sure if "Ster" is
an abbreviation for "Sterling." There is also a small shape that may
be a logo.

You got it right. It's made of sterling silver, and the other mark is a logo or
signature mark. Most of the good work has a marking that's clear and can be
researched to identify the maker, if the maker is indeed a native american
jeweler. "sterling" is often shortened to "ster" on metal markings,
especially on the inside of rings, since too long a word means the stamp only
fits well on one ring size, with other ring sizes giving an uneven depth to the
mark, due to the different degrees of curvature on the inside of differently
sized rings. The shorter mark doesn't have so much of that problem. Sorry, but
I don't recognize the "logo". My quick guess is this is one of the tourist
trade silver jewelry pieces made overseas. Still nice enough, especailly if you
like it.

hope that helps.

Peter

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old August 12th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:10:15 -0700 a
smoke signal from michaelphill rang out,
which was heard to say :

I'm looking to purchase an identical or similar ring to this one:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring1ad4.jpg

Man that's an ugly piece!
But thank God for jewelry buyers with no taste.
Without 'em I'd be out of business!

Frosty
(Happy to not be moderating any newsgroups, and fairly certain this
feeling is shared my many.)
Old August 12th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:16:56 -0700, Frosty wrote:

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:10:15 -0700 a
smoke signal from michaelphill rang out,
which was heard to say :

I'm looking to purchase an identical or similar ring to this one:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring1ad4.jpg

Man that's an ugly piece!
But thank God for jewelry buyers with no taste.
Without 'em I'd be out of business!

Frosty
(Happy to not be moderating any newsgroups, and fairly certain this
feeling is shared my many.)

You know, Frosty, sometimes people just never see good jewelry.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com
Old August 13th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:31:28 -0700 a
smoke signal from "Marilee J. Layman" rang out,
which was heard to say :

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:16:56 -0700, Frosty wrote:

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:10:15 -0700 a
smoke signal from michaelphill rang out,
which was heard to say :

I'm looking to purchase an identical or similar ring to this one:

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ring1ad4.jpg

Man that's an ugly piece!
But thank God for jewelry buyers with no taste.
Without 'em I'd be out of business!

Frosty
(Happy to not be moderating any newsgroups, and fairly certain this
feeling is shared my many.)

You know, Frosty, sometimes people just never see good jewelry.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com

Those people should probably get out of Walmart once in a while and
check out some of the small, independent jewelers out there who work
all their lives to produce true art, and not the schlock pictured in
that link.

I can't seem to wrap my mind around the thrill people seem to get from
writing and especially reading blog's, but your kitty cats are very
cute, so that redeems you. I especially like Giorgio and his funny,
long nose.

On a related note:

My LCD monitor was covered with little specks of dirt, and no matter
how much I Windexed it, they wouldn't come out. I finally realized
that these crud spots were actually INSIDE the screen! I was ready to
throw the thing out when I found this amazing screen cleaning utility
that got rid of all of them and left the screen bright, spotless and
lemony-fresh! Try it out! It really really works!

http://home.tiscali.dk/ulrich/screencleaner.swf

Frosty

Old August 15th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:07:44 -0700, Frosty wrote:

I can't seem to wrap my mind around the thrill people seem to get from
writing and especially reading blog's, but your kitty cats are very
cute, so that redeems you. I especially like Giorgio and his funny,
long nose.

LOL I started out just reviewing the books I read and the DVDs I
watched, but people kept asking me to post about things I mentioned in
comments on their LJs, so I just started posting.

It's a good way to chronicle what happens to you (you can make them
completely private if you wish) and in my case, it keeps me from
having to email someone every day so they'll know I'm still alive.

Giorgio (and Spirit) are purebred Orientals, which is why they have
those faces and noses. It's just more obvious on Giorgio because he's
all white. (Shiva is in the process of catching a cricket.)
Old August 16th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

In rec.crafts.jewelry almost on Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:23:42 -0700 a
[...]

In the picture or now?
I never liked blogs. I prefer email lists.
Since you posted your blog I'll post my list, but without delimiters.
http://HaleBobb.com

Frosty AKA Doc

Old August 16th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:23:44 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Frosty
wrote:

Giorgio (and Spirit) are purebred Orientals, which is why they have
those faces and noses. It's just more obvious on Giorgio because he's
all white. (Shiva is in the process of catching a cricket.)

In the picture or now?
I never liked blogs. I prefer email lists.
Since you posted your blog I'll post my list, but without delimiters.
http://HaleBobb.com

Getting a bit off topic, aren't we, folks. If it's not even remotely jewelry
related, much though I like cats too (I have quite a gang here myself), I'll
suggest taking this to email, rather than the group...

Peter