Miniature quilts

Old August 10th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Miniature quilts

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

How does that work, please? I don't think I've seen it before.

Here's a link to her demo from a Simply Quilts episode

http://tinyurl.com/2zoyl

You can print off a paper piecing pattern for that block to try from her
site.

http://www.makeitsimpler.com/pattern_pdfs.html

If I find a pattern somewhere that I love I print off the multiple parts
and then tape them to a piece of graph paper so they are oriented
correctly and there is 1/2" between them. Make a copy and I have my own
paper foundation in Anita's style.

Her main page

http://www.makeitsimpler.com/homepage2.html

marcella
Old August 10th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks Marcella
I've been trying to think how to explain it to Sandy in an e-mail!! It
starts off simply, but then gets tricky to describe!
I didn't rush in, though, because I felt the question was directed to
you.

Have a look, Sandy. When I saw that a 9-patch could be done this way, I
was delighted, as I often just do one - rather than a whole lot, when
the strip method is sensible.
..
In message ,
Marcella Peek writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 10th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
Sandy Foster wrote:

How does that work, please? I don't think I've seen it before.

Here's a link to her demo from a Simply Quilts episode

http://tinyurl.com/2zoyl

You can print off a paper piecing pattern for that block to try from her
site.

http://www.makeitsimpler.com/pattern_pdfs.html

If I find a pattern somewhere that I love I print off the multiple parts
and then tape them to a piece of graph paper so they are oriented
correctly and there is 1/2" between them. Make a copy and I have my own
paper foundation in Anita's style.

Her main page

http://www.makeitsimpler.com/homepage2.html

marcella

Thanks for the information -- it looks interesting! It sort of reminds
me of a demo I saw once of doing a watercolor quilt on a gridded
foundation.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 11th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Does it really help to sew a 9-patch this way? Seems like lots more trouble.
It's only 9 squares! Why mess around with paper?
Roberta in D

"Patti" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Marcella
I've been trying to think how to explain it to Sandy in an e-mail!! It
starts off simply, but then gets tricky to describe!
I didn't rush in, though, because I felt the question was directed to you.

Have a look, Sandy. When I saw that a 9-patch could be done this way, I
was delighted, as I often just do one - rather than a whole lot, when the
strip method is sensible.
.
In message ,
Marcella Peek writes

Old August 11th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

It isn't just for a 9-patch, Roberta. That is just the simplest way of
demonstrating the method. It is actually a great addition to the
repertoire of FPP. The main reason is that it eliminates the fiddly
(and sometimes tricky) process of sewing PP sections together. The
seams and points just *have* to meet because the still on the paper.
However, it does depend on precise folding. You can't be slap-happy
just because you're doing it!
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes

Old August 11th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Thanks for further enlightening us. So,
How about removing the paper in the area
of the 'folds' where the two sections meet?
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 11th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

There is no problem, Pat, because you trim the seam allowance slightly
less than a quarter of an inch, before you fold (at least I do!). The
paper is on the outside of the fold and, after scoring the stitching
lines, the folded section of paper just comes straight off.
The alternative to my first sentence is to make the 'gap' between the
two sections one inch, instead of half an inch. That gives you much
more room to play with, and means that you have to trim the seam
allowances so skimpily. I've done that, too, and I was much happier
with it.
..
In message gj4Dg.5618$yO4.3543@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia
writes

Old August 11th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article gj4Dg.5618$yO4.3543@dukeread02,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Thanks for further enlightening us. So,
How about removing the paper in the area
of the 'folds' where the two sections meet?
PAT in VA/USA

The vellum tears away easily. Since it's paper piecing you are using a
smaller stitch which helps perforate the paper well. For seams, Anita
told me to use a letter opener to slit the fold and then you can tear
away either side easily. Usually, the part in the intersection comes
along for the ride.

marcella

Katrina Relief Quilts Question Betsy Ross Quilting 7 September 4th 05 04:04 PM
to donate quilts to aid hurrican victims KJ Quilting 6 September 1st 05 05:38 PM
Miniature Quilts Joan8904 Quilting 16 January 28th 05 02:16 PM
UPDATE: Quilts for Tsunami Orphans Kathy (in Alaska) Quilting 0 January 3rd 05 07:02 PM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM