Lightweight SM

Old October 3rd 05, 09:52 PM
Sewingsue

Default Lightweight SM

I know that queries about sewing machine recommendations are directed to the
FAQs and every make has its supporters, but I'm still going to risk asking

I have a Bernina that I am very happy with but I'm having to think about
getting a lighter SM to take to classes. So any recommendations, advice on
machines to avoid, would be appreciated.

--
Sewingsue in Scotland
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cra...olar/my_photos

Old October 4th 05, 12:07 AM
Kate Dicey

Sewingsue wrote:

I know that queries about sewing machine recommendations are directed to the
FAQs and every make has its supporters, but I'm still going to risk asking

I have a Bernina that I am very happy with but I'm having to think about
getting a lighter SM to take to classes. So any recommendations, advice on
machines to avoid, would be appreciated.

I recently bought my mum a Singer 117 Featherweight II: she and I are
both very pleased with it as a light weight little Granny's Sewing
Machine. Not for curtains, large projects involving many yards of
fabric, or high volume stuff, but impressive stitch quality and ease of
use for the size and weight. I wouldn't want to sew denim or coat
fabric, or upholstery stuff on it.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 4th 05, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

I have a Bernina that I am very happy with but I'm having to think about
getting a lighter SM to take to classes. So any recommendations, advice on
machines to avoid, would be appreciated.

It all depends on what you're going to be doing. For instance, an heirloom
sewing class might require some specialty stitches for things like madiera
applique or hemstitching. Machine quilting may require (or at least make you
think you want) more space under the arm than some of the 3/4 machines.
Tailoring requires straight stitch and maybe zigzag. For the stuff I do,
an Elna Lotus (long discontinued) would suit fine, but they have only a
few stitches.

How heavy is your Bernina, how light do you need to go, and would a set
of wheels solve your problems?
Old October 4th 05, 09:55 AM
Kate Dicey

Kay Lancaster wrote:

I have a Bernina that I am very happy with but I'm having to think about
getting a lighter SM to take to classes. So any recommendations, advice on
machines to avoid, would be appreciated.

It all depends on what you're going to be doing. For instance, an heirloom
sewing class might require some specialty stitches for things like madiera
applique or hemstitching. Machine quilting may require (or at least make you
think you want) more space under the arm than some of the 3/4 machines.
Tailoring requires straight stitch and maybe zigzag. For the stuff I do,
an Elna Lotus (long discontinued) would suit fine, but they have only a
few stitches.

Depends which one you have. The one I gave my friend had about 12 or 14
stitches. Wonderful machine! The one i have only does straight and
zigzag, but I have feelers and a contact for one with more...

Old October 4th 05, 09:30 PM
Sewingsue

I got a wheeled carry case for the Bernina - works fine apart from lifting
it in and out of the car.
However my favourite LQS for classes is one floor up and another place I
would like to take classes has the classroom in the basement. Wasn't a
problem but I now have carpal tunnel problems and am trying to avoid
unnecessary strain.

Old October 6th 05, 03:46 AM
jthell

Kate Dicey wrote:

Sewingsue wrote:

I know that queries about sewing machine recommendations are directed
to the
FAQs and every make has its supporters, but I'm still going to risk
asking

I have a Bernina that I am very happy with but I'm having to think about
getting a lighter SM to take to classes. So any recommendations,
advice on
machines to avoid, would be appreciated.

I recently bought my mum a Singer 117 Featherweight II: she and I are
both very pleased with it as a light weight little Granny's Sewing
Machine. Not for curtains, large projects involving many yards of
fabric, or high volume stuff, but impressive stitch quality and ease of
use for the size and weight. I wouldn't want to sew denim or coat
fabric, or upholstery stuff on it.

Dear Kate,
I got your name from my friends at rec.yarns, I have a Singer Made in
Great Britian, the needle will not stay in ,no place for a screw to hold
it, and I;m not sure how to thread it, I got it to hold and sew for
about 1 inch than the needle fell out and thread broke. We think its a
1940's was treddle now electric.in a pretty wood table flip top case !
do you have any advice?
Thank you,
Jenny
(
Old October 6th 05, 09:56 AM
Kate Dicey

jthell wrote:
Kate Dicey wrote:

Sewingsue wrote:

[...]

A Singer of that age should have a needle clamp with a screw through it.
Trouble is, if you unscrew the screw all the way, the clamp will fall
off! Sounds like this may have happened to yours. I have *taken* the
clamp off several of mine to clean them up, and as far as I can see, all
the needle clamps are the same. If you know the model number of the
machine, you can pop into your local sewing machine shop and just ask
for one. The best way to find out the age and model of your machine is
to look up the serial number on the Singer site. The serial number is
the one in the oval cartouche thing on the bed of the machine just in
front of the pillar. If you have the manual, that will tell you the
model number, and if you look up the parts and threading diagrams, they
will show you the bit that may be missing.

If you don't have the manual, this one here at ISMACS will give you an
idea of what the clamp should look like and where it should go:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer/manuals/15-91.pdf
Section 10, To Set The Needle shows the clearest of pictures and shows
you how to put the needle in for the class 15 machines.

It sounds like you also need to join wefixit! They are the old sewing
machine wizards! You'll see me post there occasionally.

Good luck! Do let us know how you get on.
Old October 6th 05, 01:59 PM
Ron Anderson

Yes it will need to be identified. If the OP sends me a photo private I can
do that.
Kate, not all needle clamps are the same. some have a gib in there and most
of those are not available. Never the less it must have some sort of needle
clamp with a screw.

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
"IMS" wrote in message
news On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:46:45 -0400, jthell wrote:

Dear Kate,
I got your name from my friends at rec.yarns, I have a Singer Made in
Great Britian, the needle will not stay in ,no place for a screw to hold
it, and I;m not sure how to thread it, I got it to hold and sew for
about 1 inch than the needle fell out and thread broke. We think its a
1940's was treddle now electric.in a pretty wood table flip top case !
do you have any advice?
Thank you,
Jenny
(

Hi Jenny,

I'm not Kate, but is it possible you have lost the needle clamp? Ron
Anderson at http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/ can get you what you need.

Two places to help you id your machine:

The Needlebar has a huge section on identifying your machine, also a
HUGE list with the different decals -- find your decals to help ID the
machine:

http://www.needlebar.com/

ISMACS has an entire section devoted to Singers, including many freebie
manuals and cabinet descriptions of what came with which model and lots
of picts, toL

http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

If you can post a picture of your machine somewhere we can see it, we
might be able to identify the model and determine for sure the clamp is
gone.

Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

Old October 6th 05, 05:43 PM
Kate Dicey

Ron Anderson wrote:

Yes it will need to be identified. If the OP sends me a photo private I can
do that.
Kate, not all needle clamps are the same. some have a gib in there and most
of those are not available. Never the less it must have some sort of needle
clamp with a screw.

My 66, 99, 15-88 and Featherweight ones all *look* interchangeable, and
all the machines take the same needles, but I'd be willing to believe
they are not! I could go and try, of course, but the CBA factor kicks
in here!