Book Review: Chic & Easy Beading: 100 Fast and Fun Fashion Jewelry

Old March 26th 04, 07:48 PM
EL

Default Book Review: Chic & Easy Beading: 100 Fast and Fun Fashion Jewelry

I wish the magazines would put out a single project book for each year with
all that year's projects included, kinda like the Southern Living Cookbook
each year. I'd love to have them all in one place.

And, as long as I'm wishing, I wish B&B and Beadwork would so what Wire
Artist Jeweller and sell black and white copies of the issues which are out
of print, or individual reprints of single projects.

Elise
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
Short Version: If you subscribe to Bead and Button, you already have

these
projects. If you are new to beading and/or don't subscribe, it's a
worthwhile purchase.

Long Version: Amazon.com lists this book as being by Alice Korach, but it
turns out that she's the editor of this compilation of projects from old
issues of Bead and Button.

As with the magazine, the projects are a mixed lot: some are terrific,

and
some seem to be there only to promote the sale of some vendor's

components.
There are lots of simple wire wrapping projects (making wrapped loops, for
example) and lots of basic stringing. If you're new to the art of

beadwork,
there are a lot of things here for you.

For me, seeing some of these projects was like spotting old friends, while

couple seemed pointless. Example: making bobby pin shaped findings for
lampworked beads and stringing lots of seed beads inbetween (why bother

with
the bobby pin things? They don't show in the finished piece). Many of

the
projects seemed overly heavy on findings - one necklace had seven "S"

clasps,
which I cannot imagine being wearable for very long. A very few were from
the very earliest issues of Bead and Button and look a little dated.

None of the articles have been revised since their original publication,

so
there isn't a lot of use of the more modern threads or good beading wire.
That really isn't a problem, since substituting Fireline or SoftTouch for
Nymo and Tigertail is an easy thing, but it could be confusing for

beginners.

Some of the projects are extremely expensive for what you end up with, and

suspect that most beaders are not going to bother with a $50 clasp on a
necklace made of fire polished Czech beads. I'd have been happier with

more
woven projects, although I understand why the emphasis is on stringing.

Some
projects are overkill, like the bracelet with hundreds of little pearls,

each
on its own wrapped loop. (Like my bracelet? It only took me three years

make!)

Inadvertently, I got quite a chuckle from the book, because someone was a
little careless with the photography: There are pictures of badly crimped
beads, mis-shaped wirework and little bits and pieces that looked careless
and rushed. (Of course, you'd see the same things in B & B magazine, too)

As I said, some of the projects were old friends, and reminders of the
magazines I have filled with Post-it notes for a later date. The book

itself
is far likelier to stay in one piece, and of course, there are no ads,

other
than in the component listings at the end of each project.

I'm a little undecided as to whether I'm happy with this book or not: a

part
of me would have been a lot more satisfied if the title of the book stated
outright that this was a selection of "the best of B & B magazine," so I'd
know that I already have all these articles. On the other hand, most of

the
articles are pretty good, especially for a beginner or someone looking for
inspiration, and in theory, I could save space by tossing the old

magazines
and just keeping the book. (Yeah, like that's gonna happen.)

Bottom line - not a ripoff, but it's no "Art and Elegance of Beadweaving,"
either.

Your intrepid reporter,

Kathy N-V

Old March 26th 04, 08:47 PM
roxan

What I would wish bead magazines would do is give more advanced projects for
those of us who are beyond the simple stuff they put in most of the bead
magazines. I get so tired of seeing things that are so simple and easy to do
that you could figure it out yourself with little or no know of beadwork. I
needs things that stimulate me and push me further to do greater things.
Roxan

Old March 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Dr. Sooz

Boy d I agree, Roxan! Just one project a month for the advanced beader.
That's only fair.

What I would wish bead magazines would do is give more advanced projects for
those of us who are beyond the simple stuff they put in most of the bead
magazines. I get so tired of seeing things that are so simple and easy to do
that you could figure it out yourself with little or no know of beadwork. I
needs things that stimulate me and push me further to do greater things.
Roxan

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 26th 04, 10:43 PM
EL

"vj" wrote in message

AMEN! but maybe they think it would cut down on magazine sales?

Not to me. I'm too old for deferred gratification. I'd buy the magazines
AND the annuals.

]And, as long as I'm wishing, I wish B&B and Beadwork would so what Wire
]Artist Jeweller and sell black and white copies of the issues which are

out
]of print, or individual reprints of single projects.

seconded!!!!!

And I found out today that Beadwork does sell reprints, either color or
black and white. I haven't ordered one yet, but I'll let you know how much
and how complicated when I do.

Elise
-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
-----------
I have so many pet peeves that they now qualify as a herd!
- Janet P - RAM

Old March 26th 04, 11:06 PM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

I wish B&B and Beadwork would so what Wire
]Artist Jeweller and sell black and white copies of the issues which are out
]of print, or individual reprints of single projects.

seconded!!!!!

One of them does something of the sort on-line. However, it costs almost as
much for that one article as for half an issue. And, the authors don't get any
additional compensation.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old March 27th 04, 12:18 AM
roxan

Someone needs to do a bead magazine that has only advanced and innovated
ideas, I can only hope.
Roxan
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
Boy d I agree, Roxan! Just one project a month for the advanced beader.
That's only fair.

What I would wish bead magazines would do is give more advanced projects

for
those of us who are beyond the simple stuff they put in most of the bead
magazines. I get so tired of seeing things that are so simple and easy to

do
that you could figure it out yourself with little or no know of beadwork.

needs things that stimulate me and push me further to do greater things.
Roxan

~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links