Lead laws

Old April 22nd 04, 12:35 AM
jk

Default Lead laws

Anyone up on the newest legislation to ban lead, 100% in the US in couple
of years?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old April 22nd 04, 05:05 PM
Dennis Brady

I'm torn between being up or being down.

Down 'cause I think it's flat out bull**** propaganda devoid of
scientific justificiation. Up 'cause I figure if they actually do it,
I'll become repugnantly rich smuggling lead from Canada to the states.

Place your orders early fellas. Supplies are limited. Not much more
than a coupla million tons. US price is $1.25/lb now. Who knows what
it'll go up to?

Your gunna end up with the only country on earth that banned lead -
and the only country still using imperial measure. Both make equal
sense.
Old April 22nd 04, 05:42 PM
Andy

I started hearing about it about 3 years ago and haven't seen anything
happening yet. About 6 years or so ago the government put some lead
laws in place but it didn't affect the stained glass
industry...largely due to a large letter writting campaign and
petitions to congressmen. I think the same thing will happen and the
stained glass industry will be exempt. Stranger things have happened
with the government though.

Andy

Old April 22nd 04, 06:34 PM
searobin2319

"jk" wrote in message
. net...
Anyone up on the newest legislation to ban lead, 100% in the US in

couple
of years?

No, but I would be interested in seeing that bill. Do you have a cite? I
know there has been a move for reduction of lead emissions from industry,
but not aware of any across the board 100% outright ban. Do you mean
limited to electrical/electronics?

My scuba diving expenses are going to be phenonmenal if we need to go to
platinum weight belts, not to mention dangerous!

Old April 22nd 04, 06:39 PM
searobin2319

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
om...
I'm torn between being up or being down.

Down 'cause I think it's flat out bull**** propaganda devoid of
scientific justificiation.

Heavy metals in the water and the environment negatively impact both human
and wildlife. We knew that long before we went to lead free gasoline.

What keeps the heavy metals in our atmosphere and our water is the profit
those industries make and the lobbyists they can afford to pay and the votes
they can afford to buy. Problem is us consumers want it both ways. We want
to buy cheaply on one hand, but on the other we want quality products with
less environmental impact on our children and our earth. Profit rules until
our other losses hit close to home.

Your gunna end up with the only country on earth that banned lead -

Not exactly. Europe may leading on that one.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O24512918

and the only country still using imperial measure.

Ok, you get a point for that one :-)

Old April 22nd 04, 10:44 PM
Dennis Brady

Like many things, it'll likely depend on which party forms the next
government. Usually it's the Democrats that are most concerned about
health and the environment, but this issue is truly about neither.
It's being agressively promoted by companies that hope to have lead
banned so you'll be forced to buy non-lead products (that by an
interesting co-incidence they make). A Republican government is more
likely to support their intensive lobbying.

This whole anti-lead movement can be easily and effectly killed. Just
demand the advocates supply proof for the need.
Old April 24th 04, 01:30 AM
jk

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
I started hearing about it about 3 years ago and haven't seen anything
happening yet. About 6 years or so ago the government put some lead
laws in place but it didn't affect the stained glass
industry...largely due to a large letter writting campaign and
petitions to congressmen. I think the same thing will happen and the
stained glass industry will be exempt. Stranger things have happened
with the government though.

Andy

I have this on good authority that it's all but a done deal. That's why
the push to find a lead free solder and came product to our industry. In
case you missed it, the last time they did this, our industry was saved at
the last minute by the hired lead manufacturer lobbyists. You need to speak
to a lead industry guy. I lost my contact recently... he retired. Hope we
get what may be the only exemption this time around.

Old April 24th 04, 01:52 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

Yeah - and what about all the medical people who
will get radiated? Lead is the only shielding that
can stop x-rays and other high energy emissions.
No body in the government or the legislature even
considers ALL the variations BEFORE they write
or enforce a law. Right now it's prescriptions.
Tomorrow it will be lead!
Hal

"searobin2319" wrote in message
. com...

. net...

Old April 24th 04, 02:40 AM
Mike Firth

Or go metric and ban nickel, cadmium, etc. etc. etc. Join the rest of the
world.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old April 24th 04, 06:00 PM
nJb

searobin2319 wrote:

"jk" wrote in message
. net...
Anyone up on the newest legislation to ban lead, 100% in the US in

couple
of years?

No, but I would be interested in seeing that bill. Do you have a cite? I
know there has been a move for reduction of lead emissions from industry,
but not aware of any across the board 100% outright ban. Do you mean
limited to electrical/electronics?

My scuba diving expenses are going to be phenonmenal if we need to go to
platinum weight belts, not to mention dangerous!

The platinum weight belts are the rage in the more stylish resorts.
Tantalum is also hot this year, touted as "the poor man's platinum".
Gold sinkers are beginning to appear in the boxes of the more trendy
anglers.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Lead vs Zinc Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\) Glass 11 February 12th 04 03:16 PM
dangers of lead kasfam Glass 16 December 25th 03 02:22 AM
Stretching lead Bart V Glass 7 December 17th 03 05:49 AM
solder not adhering to lead M. Paradis Glass 1 November 19th 03 11:54 PM
Use of Brass Coated Lead Came Gloria Glass 3 August 19th 03 05:26 AM