Okay, tell me if you think this is silly...

Old June 2nd 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Okay, tell me if you think this is silly...

Now that you ladies have totally scared me off making a sweater for fear
that I could spend months on making it and then discover it didn't fit,
I discovered from *somewhere* a mailing list where they have a
knit-along for a knitted dishcloth of a different pattern every month.
It seems to me that perhaps I could build my confidence with those small
projects for a few months before I tackle something huge. (then I could
put them all together for lightweight sofa throws or something if I
didn't want to use them all as dishcloths, right?)

I am sort of totally self-taught and have never read a pattern, knit
ambidextrously, etc., and learning how to knit conventionally and to
follow a pattern is a big hurdle to cross.

So does it sound st*pid to start with small things like that or not? It
seems to me like it might be the knitting equivalent of telling people
who want to learn to sew to start with tote bags, pillows, etc.,
because they are more forgiving.

OTOH, if I want to stay way out on my off-the-beaten-path position, I
also saw knitting pattern software that takes what you can do and gives
you a schematic type of thing to follow in whatever way you are knitting
to do what you want. Seeing as though I have pattern drafting software,
knitting pattern software would only seam a reasonable next step LOL
(and it's cheaper -- I think it was like $50).

Any ideas?
Old June 2nd 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

So does it sound st*pid to start with small things like that or not? It
seems to me like it might be the knitting equivalent of telling people who
want to learn to sew to start with tote bags, pillows, etc., because they
are more forgiving.

No, starting with small projects where gauge doesn't matter is less
frustrating than spending months knitting something large with which you are
not happy or doesn't fit. If you use different yarns for these projects, it
will also give you an idea of what type of fabric each fiber will produce.
Knitted purses are a good learning tool. You are actually making something,
gauge really doesn't matter, and you are learning to read patterns.
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php there are tons of
free purse and accessory patterns here, just click on the accessories link.

OTOH, if I want to stay way out on my off-the-beaten-path position, I also
saw knitting pattern software that takes what you can do and gives you a
schematic type of thing to follow in whatever way you are knitting to do
what you want. Seeing as though I have pattern drafting software,
knitting pattern software would only seam a reasonable next step LOL (and
it's cheaper -- I think it was like $50).

Any ideas?

http://www.knittingsoftware.com/sweaterwiz.htm would be my choice of
software for designing knitting patterns which are easy to understand. Over
the years I have used several design programs, from expensive (Design-A-
Knit) to free and Sweater Wizard is the one I end up using the most.
It is written by a knitter, and tech support is great.
Just a satisfied user, no connection to the company.
DA

Old June 2nd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Melinda wrote:

Now that you ladies have totally scared me off making a sweater for
fear that I could spend months on making it and then discover it
didn't fit, I discovered from *somewhere* a mailing list where they
have a knit-along for a knitted dishcloth of a different pattern every
month. It seems to me that perhaps I could build my confidence with
those small projects for a few months before I tackle something huge.
(then I could put them all together for lightweight sofa throws or
something if I didn't want to use them all as dishcloths, right?)

Exactly. With this kind of thing you could make some using cotton yarn
for use as dishcloths - my handknit dishcloths last a lot longer than
store-bought ones - and others as sampler squares using whatever yarn
you have lying around.

I am sort of totally self-taught and have never read a pattern, knit
ambidextrously, etc., and learning how to knit conventionally and to
follow a pattern is a big hurdle to cross.

So does it sound st*pid to start with small things like that or not?
It seems to me like it might be the knitting equivalent of telling
people who want to learn to sew to start with tote bags, pillows,
etc., because they are more forgiving.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Since your time is limited, I would
think it would be better to work on smaller things that likely won't
lead to disappointment if they don't turn out as expected. I know I'd be
rather miffed if I spent months working on a sweater that ended up not
fitting the way I expected. Especially when you're building skills and
confidence, it's better to get some good results early on. I know a lot
of people who jumped right into that dream sweater only to give it up
when it wasn't going well.

OTOH, if I want to stay way out on my off-the-beaten-path position, I
also saw knitting pattern software that takes what you can do and
gives you a schematic type of thing to follow in whatever way you are
knitting to do what you want. Seeing as though I have pattern
drafting software, knitting pattern software would only seam a
reasonable next step LOL (and it's cheaper -- I think it was like
$50).

Any ideas?

Since the software will customize to your abilities, this sounds okay to
me, too. I would still start with smaller items and work my way up, if
only because you don't have hours a day to spend knitting. I don't have
that kind of time at the moment, either, so most of my knitting time has
been spent with socks. I just started a nice scarf in Classic Elite's
Posh - 70% silk, 30% cashmere, bought at a blow-out sale for 50% off; I
can't afford the regular price on this yarn - and I can pull that out
and do a few rows here and there when I get the time. Anything major,
like another sweater or jacket, would have to wait until I manage to
create those 40-hour days I've been working on for the past few years

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old June 2nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jan[_2_]

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
[...]

As I recall, you said previously that you can only allot small increments of
time for knitting. So joining a dishcloth knit-along seems like a smart
thing to do. Yes, you should be able to sew or crochet them together for a
throw or pillow cover providing they are all similar in size.

--
Jan in MN

Old June 2nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Melinda, if you were to go back on this board (which I don't recommend)
you would find I have often recommended beginners to get a book of
dishcloth patterns - there are some fairly cheap ones at some of the
"big box" stores - buy some pretty acrylic yarns and get busy. The
great thing about this is that (1) each square can be knit in a
relatively short time (2) you learn to knit various different stitch
patterns, and (3) You can knit as many or few as you like, and make them
into a lap robe or afghan.

Once when I was making an afghan for my son, I wasn't sure which way I
wanted to arrange the squares so made a few extra. At the end I had
four left over, so stitched them together to be an afghan for his cat!.
The cat loved it, and slept on it right until his demise.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 2nd 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Hi, its Wooly. I'm rebuilding my system, haven't found my newsreader
software yet so I'm posting thru Googlegroups (ugh).

On Jun 2, 12:08 am, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:

Now that you ladies have totally scared me off making a sweater for fear
that I could spend months on making it and then discover it didn't fit,

Why wouldn't it fit? If you know how to measure yourself (or your
intended victim), know how to make and measure a gauge swatch, if
you're able to count and if you can do some basic arithmetic you can
make a sweater that fits.

Three books for you: Maggie Righetti _Knitting in Plain English_,
Elizabeth Zimmermann _Knitting Workshop_, and if you really get into
DIY sweater building, Maggie Righetti _Sweater Design in Plain
English_.

Also a sweater need not take "months" to knit, unless you have
absolutely minimal time to give it. I've turned out adult-sized
sweaters - made with fat yarn on big needles, admittedly - in less
than a week's time when I was under the gun to get them done.

I discovered from *somewhere* a mailing list where they have a
knit-along for a knitted dishcloth of a different pattern every month.
It seems to me that perhaps I could build my confidence with those small
projects for a few months before I tackle something huge. (then I could
put them all together for lightweight sofa throws or something if I
didn't want to use them all as dishcloths, right?)

Indeed. Another good small first project is a pair of "standard" flap-
and-gusset socks. The skills you hone on sockmaking will be useful
when you start the sweater: knitting in the round, knowing which way
different decreases lean, picking up stitches.

I am sort of totally self-taught and have never read a pattern, knit
ambidextrously, etc., and learning how to knit conventionally and to
follow a pattern is a big hurdle to cross.

Then only thing to remember is "right leg forward". If you knit such
that your stitches are mounted left leg forward on the needle it makes
some manipulations fiddly because you have to remount the stitches
before you can do whatever. Otherwise there's no "conventional"
knitting to learn: it's knit, purl, increase, decrease, bind off put
together in endless variations.

Pattern reading isn't that tough either. A well-written pattern
defines for you all the abbreviations used therein. Its just a matter
of becoming accustomed to the abbreviations, which is a learned skill
like taking shorthand or reading a recipe.

So does it sound st*pid to start with small things like that or not?

No, but I do think you should jump in with a project for which GAUGE
WILL MATTER, such as socks, or a teddy sweater. You'll learn more,
and build your confidence faster so you'll be ready to tackle the
sweater sooner.

It
seems to me like it might be the knitting equivalent of telling people
who want to learn to sew to start with tote bags, pillows, etc.,
because they are more forgiving.

Sewing is a LOT less forgiving than knitting. You can always rip out
the knitting and start over. With sewing that's a little harder to
do, hence the starter sewing projects. I've taught 3rd/4th graders to
knit; once they have KNIT and PURL I throw them at socks, or simple
lace. My most outstanding student is now in grade 6 - her first
project was an EZ-style sweater, then she went straight to Shetland
lace and is now designing her own stuff and selling the patterns to
her classmates. That girl is going places

OTOH, if I want to stay way out on my off-the-beaten-path position, I
also saw knitting pattern software that takes what you can do and gives
you a schematic type of thing to follow in whatever way you are knitting
to do what you want. Seeing as though I have pattern drafting software,
knitting pattern software would only seam a reasonable next step LOL
(and it's cheaper -- I think it was like $50).

Knitware and similar software presumes that you have basic knitting
skills, understand gauge, and can read the patterns it spits out for
you.

Any ideas?

Old June 2nd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
Now that you ladies have totally scared me off making a sweater for fear
that I could spend months on making it and then discover it didn't fit,

Why wouldn't it fit? If you know how to measure yourself (or your
intended victim), know how to make and measure a gauge swatch, if
you're able to count and if you can do some basic arithmetic you can
make a sweater that fits.

I don't know, but that's what I got in response.

Also a sweater need not take "months" to knit, unless you have
absolutely minimal time to give it. I've turned out adult-sized
sweaters - made with fat yarn on big needles, admittedly - in less
than a week's time when I was under the gun to get them done.

Absolutely minimal time is what I have most days right now.

Indeed. Another good small first project is a pair of "standard" flap-
and-gusset socks. The skills you hone on sockmaking will be useful
when you start the sweater: knitting in the round, knowing which way
different decreases lean, picking up stitches.

I already tried socks and gave up because it took me a couple of months
to get one sock finished, and then it didn't fit (I have large calves
and the only reason for me to make socks is to make knee socks, because
I wear Okabashi sandals most of the time). So I'm not really anxious to
try a sock again.

I am sort of totally self-taught and have never read a pattern, knit
ambidextrously, etc., and learning how to knit conventionally and to
follow a pattern is a big hurdle to cross.

Then only thing to remember is "right leg forward". If you knit such
that your stitches are mounted left leg forward on the needle it makes
some manipulations fiddly because you have to remount the stitches
before you can do whatever.

In addition to the fact that I can't always tell right from left so I
have no idea what the relevance of this is, I have no idea of what you
are talking about here.

Pattern reading isn't that tough either. A well-written pattern
defines for you all the abbreviations used therein. Its just a matter
of becoming accustomed to the abbreviations, which is a learned skill
like taking shorthand or reading a recipe.

It's a matter of remembering which row I am on.

No, but I do think you should jump in with a project for which GAUGE
WILL MATTER, such as socks, or a teddy sweater. You'll learn more,
and build your confidence faster so you'll be ready to tackle the
sweater sooner.

I think I would rather learn to "knit properly" and read a pattern first.

Sewing is a LOT less forgiving than knitting. You can always rip out
the knitting and start over. With sewing that's a little harder to
do, hence the starter sewing projects.

Yes, but I can make a dress in about 5 hours. Unless I use my knitting
machine, it will take me tons longer than that to make a sweater; ergo,
we are talking about massive amounts of time lost in frog-stitching for
knitting rather than frog-stitching for sewing.

Knitware and similar software presumes that you have basic knitting
skills, understand gauge, and can read the patterns it spits out for
you.

Another good reason to start out with dishcloths to learn how to do all
that first. Then I could spit out a machine-knitting pattern and follow
it and not worry about learning how to "knit properly."
Old June 2nd 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The Other Kim wrote:

Since the software will customize to your abilities, this sounds okay to
me, too. I would still start with smaller items and work my way up, if
only because you don't have hours a day to spend knitting. I don't have
that kind of time at the moment, either, so most of my knitting time has
been spent with socks. I just started a nice scarf in Classic Elite's

I am sort of sock-phobic right now. Tried to make some a number of
years back (knee socks because I have no need for any other kind of
sock) and after a few months I ended up with one sock that didn't fit.
Old June 2nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Had I realized you've already made up your mind I wouldn't have spent
the time playing devil's advocate to the "too hard, won't fit" crowd.
It is always easy to justify NOT doing something, isn't it?

OT-Silly Humor Lucille Needlework 27 February 26th 05 11:13 PM
Silly Question Corri Yarn 2 February 25th 05 02:49 AM
OT but silly! Kate Dicey Quilting 0 July 21st 04 03:57 PM
OT Silly, Silly Gender Test Karen_AZ Beads 23 April 26th 04 10:47 PM
Silly S.E.X Katherine Burgess Yarn 2 July 28th 03 07:21 AM