Darlene

Old May 31st 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default Darlene

On May 30, 8:22 pm, enigma wrote:
"Shillelagh" wrote innews

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, I fly. I figure that I am in more danger from the
common cold than TB. But still, he shouldn't have taken
that kind of chance, should he?

Katherine, I read the article on Canada.com, and apparently
this guy knew he had TB and chose to fly anyway. Pretty
arrogant and uncaring.

he had been told that flying was not a good idea. he was
*not* told not to fly. he was told he had a resistant form of
TB, but not *how* resistant, until he was already in Italy.
while i definately agree that his going to Prague & flying to
Canada was a bad thing, i can see why he wanted to get back to
the US for treatment too.
he wasn't/isn't terribly contagious either. only those
immediately surrounding him have any remote chance of picking
up the disease. none of the flight crews that were in direct
contact with him have tested positive, so it's really remote
that another passenger would.
lee

As a friend of mine commented, the air in a plane is constantly
recirculated, so if there is a contagious disease aboard, everyone
is exposed to it.
When I was a child, I was responsible for a whole ship being put
into quarantine when I developed measles, to which I had been
exposed in Boston. I guess the laws were stricter then.

Katherine

Old May 31st 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Katherine wrote in
oups.com:

As a friend of mine commented, the air in a plane is
constantly recirculated, so if there is a contagious
disease aboard, everyone is exposed to it.
When I was a child, I was responsible for a whole ship
being put into quarantine when I developed measles, to
which I had been exposed in Boston. I guess the laws were
stricter then.

no, measles is a lot more contagious than TB. it's also more
dangerous, especially to adults.
no one knows why i test positive for TB. i've never had it or
been actually exposed. my mom tests positive because she was a
nurse & was exposed while working in the hospital. my positive
test can't be explained by mom's exposure though.
i had to get lung scans done at the hospital after the test
came back positive. this was rather bizarre, as the hospital
doesn't want TB patients wandering around... so i had to go to
the hospital entry at the time of my appointment & wait
outside, away from anyone, until the radiology nurse came to
get me. i was then taken to an isolation waiting room, which
has no reading material (because if i was positive they'd have
to destroy it).
but yeah, measles, mumps & rubella are pretty dangerous to
adults and are still quarantined.
lee
Old May 31st 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

he had been told that flying was not a good idea. he was
*not* told not to fly. he was told he had a resistant form of
TB, but not *how* resistant, until he was already in Italy.
while i definately agree that his going to Prague & flying to
Canada was a bad thing, i can see why he wanted to get back to
the US for treatment too.

He specifically flew to Canada to avoid entering the U.S. by air. He
planned or did rent a car intending to drive to the U.S. I'd have to go back
to the article to find out if he was stopped at the border, and how they
found out about him.

he wasn't/isn't terribly contagious either. only those
immediately surrounding him have any remote chance of picking
up the disease. none of the flight crews that were in direct
contact with him have tested positive, so it's really remote
that another passenger would.
lee

Hmmmm - how good would you have felt having him sit beside you? I stand by
my comment that he was arrogant and uncaring, and sure - ignorant too.

Shelagh

Old May 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 31, 7:40 am, enigma wrote:
Katherine wrote groups.com:

[...]

Thanks, Lee.

Katherine

Old May 31st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Hi Lee: When my sons were very little, they had all the regular
childhood immunizations and tests. My oldest son had quite a reaction
to the TB skin test and upon further testing was discovered to have
some weird kind of allergic reaction to the horse serum used in the TB
tests! (He has never had or been exposed to TB). Turns out their
grandfather also had the same reaction to the TB skin tests....the
allergy looks like a big positive result- makes huge *bullseye* welts
on their arms where the test was administered and my son also had red
welty streaks going down his arm.
Marie and the cats

Old May 31st 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

he had been told that flying was not a good idea. he was
*not* told not to fly. he was told he had a resistant form of
TB, but not *how* resistant, until he was already in Italy.
while i definately agree that his going to Prague & flying to
Canada was a bad thing, i can see why he wanted to get back to
the US for treatment too.

Further to this story - here's a couple of quotes from one article I read

(Byline: Helen Braswell, Canadian Press)
"While in Rome the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, located them and told
him he had XDR-TB and should not take any commercial flights.
CDC officials began trying to arrange for his safe return to the U.S. but
the couple abruptly left Rome, flying to Prague. There they boarded the
flight for Montreal.

The man told the Atlanta newspaper he deliberately flew to Canada to try to
sneak back into the U.S. to evade a U.S. no-fly order. "

Old June 2nd 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

"enigma" wrote in message

[...]

That was what disturbed me, too.

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 2nd 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default TB scare

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...

The man told the Atlanta newspaper he deliberately flew to Canada to try

sneak back into the U.S. to evade a U.S. no-fly order. "

That was what disturbed me, too.

Higs,
Katherine

Well, now he's apologizing left,right and centre for his stupid actions.

And get a load of this info .......
--------------------------
"The Homeland Security Department is investigating how Mr. Speaker was
allowed back into the U.S. on May 24, after he flew to Canada to avoid being
stopped by U.S. health officials.
Along the border crossing at Champlain, N.Y., an inspector ran Mr. Speaker's
passport through a computer, and a warning - including instructions to hold
the traveller, don a protective mask in dealing with him, and telephone
health authorities - popped up, officials said.
About a minute later, Mr. Speaker was instead cleared to continue on his
journey, according to officials familiar with the records.
The inspector has been removed from border duty."
And the beat goes on. Funny how the American politicians like to criticize
Canadian Border inspectors. Seems there's something to criticize at home
too.

Shelagh

Old June 3rd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:23:43 -0500, "Shillelagh" wrote:

[...]

What I heard on the radio this morning was that the inspector made a
judgement call that Speaker "looked healthy" so allowed him to
proceed. The comment was that more training is definitely needed!

Alison
Old June 3rd 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Alison" wrote in message

What I heard on the radio this morning was that the inspector made a
judgement call that Speaker "looked healthy" so allowed him to
proceed. The comment was that more training is definitely needed!

Alison

Amen to that! ;)

Shelagh

Darlene (Craftkitten) Shillelagh Yarn 4 August 1st 06 03:26 AM
Att'n: Darlene! YarnWright Yarn 2 April 19th 06 10:14 PM
Attn: Darlene Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 2 December 1st 03 01:16 PM