stinky yarn

Old August 11th 03, 03:56 PM
Katherine Burgess

Exactly!
Katherine (Thanks for the site, BTW, looks nice!)

"Sew-Sew Lady" wrote in message
y.com...
Maybe you could cook it into something to take to another party ---
www.drambuie.com has recipes

The little truffles looked quite tasty.

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:17:25 -0400, Yarn Forward

wrote:

Hmmm, you don't think that is a waste of vodka? g
Katherine

Yes but you can always drink what is left over!
Roger.

YOU can. Some of us don't have that option and have to get really

creative
with the booze people leave behind after a party, or bring as hostess
gifts. I can't begin to tell you how old the bottle of Drambuie in the
cupboard is. Never did find a creative use for that!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Old August 11th 03, 03:57 PM
Katherine Burgess

, "Katherine Burgess" wrote:

Hmmm, you don't think that is a waste of vodka? g
Katherine

Best use for it I've seen in years, other than mixing with lecithin and
canola oil for DIY no-stick spray! I think the hand laundering ideas are
probably surest for most yarns. I don't usually have Woolite in the

house,
but dish liquid works very well at removing the oils that hold the smoke
odor to the fiber. If it's wool you'll want to add a little hair
conditioner to the rinse water.

Wow! We have really creative people here! I never would have thought of
using alcohol to make a non-stick spray.
Katherine

Old August 11th 03, 03:58 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

Lots of people smoke after SEX.

Only if they use cheap oil!

Gawd, I couldn't resist that!!!!
Noreen
]

Me neither.

ROTFLAMO!!!
Katherine

Old August 11th 03, 08:39 PM
Allaya Diep

Yeah, just mix it with club soda instead of regular water, and you're in
business! lol

Allaya

"Yarn Forward" wrote in message

Katherine Burgess wrote:
"Allaya Diep" wrote ...

YUCK! I hate it when that happens. If you haven't tried anything yet,

have a solution that works pretty well for me:

Mix one part vodka with one part water and stick it in a spray bottle.
Spray it all over the yarn. When it's dry, the odor should have

dissipated.

I have no idea why this works, but it does! If you want a nice scent,

you
can add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix

before
you spray...just shake well before you do. Hope this helps!

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old August 11th 03, 08:40 PM
Allaya Diep

but you'll have the best tasting yarn on the block!

Allaya

"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message

"Yarn Forward" wrote ...

Katherine Burgess wrote:
"Allaya Diep" wrote ...

YUCK! I hate it when that happens. If you haven't tried anything

yet,
have a solution that works pretty well for me:

Mix one part vodka with one part water and stick it in a spray bottle.
Spray it all over the yarn. When it's dry, the odor should have

dissipated.

I have no idea why this works, but it does! If you want a nice scent,

you
can add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix

before
you spray...just shake well before you do. Hope this helps!

Hmmm, you don't think that is a waste of vodka? g
Katherine

Yes but you can always drink what is left over!
Roger.

I'd rather find another way to de-scent the wool, and have all the vodka

for
myself. g
Katherine

Old August 11th 03, 08:57 PM
Karen

Maybe I have been watching too many reruns of "FRIENDS" (the TV show) -- but
everytime I see this subject line "stinky yarn", for some reason I think of
Phoebe's "Smelly Cat" song -- I think it's the similar syllabic rhythm of
the words -- "smelly cat" - "stinky yarn" .

Anyway, now THAT one is banging around in my head.

But back on topic again -- I like those ideas for getting the cigarette odor
out -- once you have smoked and quit, that smell can be quite intolerable.
I am so glad I quit before I took up knitting!

Karen in MN

Old August 11th 03, 09:10 PM
Elizabeth Bonello

"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
news9FZa.31874$ff.19548@fed1read01...
YUCK! I hate it when that happens. If you haven't tried anything yet, I
have a solution that works pretty well for me:

Mix one part vodka with one part water and stick it in a spray bottle.

Then spray it down your throat until you don't care what it smells like.
Repeat as needed. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist, what with all the
alcohol-related posts lately!)

Spray it all over the yarn. When it's dry, the odor should have

dissipated.
I have no idea why this works, but it does! If you want a nice scent, you
can add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix before
you spray...just shake well before you do. Hope this helps!

Allaya

LittleBit

Old August 11th 03, 09:17 PM
Ophelia

"Elizabeth Bonello" wrote in message
. ..

"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
news9FZa.31874$ff.19548@fed1read01...
YUCK! I hate it when that happens. If you haven't tried anything yet,

have a solution that works pretty well for me:

Mix one part vodka with one part water and stick it in a spray bottle.

Then spray it down your throat until you don't care what it smells like.
Repeat as needed. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist, what with all the
alcohol-related posts lately!)

Spray it all over the yarn. When it's dry, the odor should have

dissipated.
I have no idea why this works, but it does! If you want a nice scent,

you
can add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix

before
you spray...just shake well before you do. Hope this helps!

Yeah down my throat sounds good))

Ophelia

Old August 11th 03, 10:06 PM
Claire

Fruitcake!! Drambuie is lovely in fruitcake!

Claire

Old August 11th 03, 10:52 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:06:16 +0100, "Claire" wrote:

Fruitcake!! Drambuie is lovely in fruitcake!

Singing....

We never eat fruitcake because it has rum
And one little bite turns a man to a bum!
Can you imagine a sorrier sight....
Than a man eating fruitcake until he gets tight!?

Now there's an ear worm for you!

Seriously, if it had rum it would be okay, but not Drambuie. It's all those
other chemicals besides the alcohol, you see. Guaranteed migraine.

And away, away with rum, by gum
With rum, by gum, with rum by gum.
Away, away with rum, by gum,
Is the song of the Temperance Union!

-- Or Starvation [Salvation] Army, depending on where you learned it.