OT - Recipes which use olive oil or balsamic vinegar?

Old December 26th 04, 06:02 PM
DrQuilter

I also use olive oil for almost everything. We basically never use other
kinds of oil. We have two kinds, the good stuff for salads and the large
cans you can get in ethnic groceries for everything else. Here is a
basic vinagrette recipe we use in salads:

2 spoonfulls red wine
2 spoonofulls balsamic vinegar
2 spoonfulls virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste

Pauline O'Connell wrote:

I use olive oil in place of vegetable oil for practically everything. You
can use olive oil when you make a cake, instead of olive oil, for example.
Not sure if this is popular in Scotland, but here, when we dine out,
frequently the server will bring a shallow bowl of balsamic vinegar & olive
oil mixed with herbs for dipping our bread in. I prefer this over butter -
mmmmm!

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old December 26th 04, 06:52 PM
Johanna Gibson

My favorite is to cut fresh tomatoes. Marinade in olive oil and basalmic
vinegar. Top with fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil and serve with
toasted, sliced baguette.

Another way I use them is to dice up cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red onions
in a sealable bowl or bag. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and
pour it onto the cukes and red onions. Put in the refrigerator for about an
hour or two, shaking periodically to make sure the marinade in reaching all the
veggies. Pour into a bowl, and toss with greek olives and feta cheese. Yummy!

Sheila

Okay, I have most of this on hand so I made it about an hour ago -
chopped up cucumber, tomatoes, onion and mixed in olive oil, balsamic
vinegar and crushed garlic. It is fantastic!
My throat is beginning to hurt so I tried the remedy I learnt in
Russia: slice half an onion, and pour freshly squeezed lemon over it.
When it has sat for about 5 minutes, the onion will be sweet and
lovely to eat.
This is the first winter I have not had a single cold. I have eaten
an orange every day, and have eaten the lemon-marinated onion each
time my throat began to feel that I may get a sore throat. I highly
recommend it!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 26th 04, 06:56 PM
Pati Cook

Jo, I use olive oil for most of the oil in cooking/ sauteing. Also good
bread with olive oil and spices i wonderful. How about pesto?
DH puts balsamic vinegar on his vegetables. Makes a wonderful salad
dressing with the olive oil and spices.

Pati, in Phx

Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland

Old December 26th 04, 07:05 PM
WhansaMi

[...]

Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope your throat is better soon. I'll think "cold
warding-off thoughts" your way!

Sheila
Old December 26th 04, 07:18 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:55:56 -0600, "Elizabeth Wilson"
wrote:

Do you like garlic too? If so, Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic is terrific.
This recipe is from The Silver Palate Cookbook.

12 garlic cloves
1/4 cup best-quality olive oil
4 quarts water
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 pound spaghetti
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup finley chopped Italian parsley
freshly ground black pepper
grated imported Parmesan cheese

1. Peel garlic cloves. Mince 6 of them and set aside. Slice remaining
garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add sliced garlic and cook over medium
heat, stirring occassionally, unti golden brown.
3. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in alarge pot. Stir in salt, add the
spaghetti, and cook until tender but still firm; do not overcook. Drain
pasta well and transfer back to the pot.
4. Add the chicken broth to the pasta and simmer until most of the broth has
been absorbed, 5 minutes or so.
5. Stir in the heated olive oil and sliced garlic, then the minced garlic
and the chopped parsley. Toss thoroughly.
6. Divide the pasta evenly among heated plates or shallow soup bowls. Pour
any remaining broth over pasta, and serve immediately, accompanied by lots
of freshly ground black pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.

This is also good cold as the basis for a pasta salad.

Elizabeth Wilson (Spring, Texas)

This sounds great! I am used to using olive oil in salad dressings,
but I knew there must be more to it than that....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 26th 04, 07:34 PM
Flossy

I have a good one for the balsamic vinegar. Slice large tomatoes and fry using
the balsamic instead of oil or fat. They are really good served with any dish
that normally has a salad and have few calories if you are dieting !!!!!
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

Old December 26th 04, 08:37 PM
Kate Dicey

Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland

I use them together all the time to dress salads: For one portion a
teaspoonful of each drizzled over a salad of 1 large tomato, chopped. a
handful of olives and a chunk of cucumber the same size as the tomato
works a treat. Add fresh basil by the handful for even grater flavour.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 26th 04, 09:10 PM
MB

I remember a German friend of mine letting chopped onion set a spell
in vinegar to 'soften' the sharp taste before adding them to
any potato salads....Mary

Old December 26th 04, 09:21 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland

We made olive oil mashed potatoes for Christmas as we have someone who
can't to dairy - so no butter or milk or cream....

Anyway, it was 4 lbs potatoes cooked in water. Set aside some of the
cooking water before you drain off the potatoes. Mash and then add 1 C
olive oil and enough cooking water to get the consistency you like. Add
salt and pepper to taste.

One vinegar favorite of ours is to salt and pepper chicken breasts.
Cook in a skillet until done and remove to a plate. Deglaze the pan
with about 1/4 C balsamic vinegar. When the massive boiling settles
down, stir in some sour cream. It makes a lovely sauce to then pour
over the chicken.

marcella
Old December 26th 04, 09:35 PM
Jalynne

Jo, I use those two things quite regularly. Most times, where the recipe calls for
vegetable oil, i'll use the olive instead. I also use it in place of a non stick
spray on my pans when i'm cooking. Then there's the wonderful way it makes a salad
taste. Balsamic vinegar is wonderful on salads and fruit (yes, really!), fish and
chips, anything you'd use vinegar for.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Best Cone 10 Glaze Recipes sam Pottery 4 December 22nd 04 10:58 PM
true confessions about recipes Karen C - California Needlework 1 December 12th 03 04:14 AM
Cone 10 Glaze Recipes for Reduction Celeste Pottery 3 July 14th 03 08:18 PM