More singer advice needed

Old December 9th 03, 01:07 AM
Suequiltmail

Default More singer advice needed

Ok, I am in a real quandry here. I have a Featherweight, a 15-91 on
its way in a nice cabinet and I am in the process of purchasing a 201.
Now, to round out my stable, I want a machine that can do a blind hem
stitch or zig zag stitch around the edges of applique. I am looking
at a 301 and a 500 (Rocketeer).
Anyone see any reason why I might be sorry I sold my Bernina? And
does anyone have any recommendations for the final Singer to fill out
my Vintage Singer Family?

Mardi

Hi Mardi,
I have a Singer 503A, with all the cams. I have been blanket stitching around
all sorts of appliques and it works fine. JMHO.
Sue B
Old December 9th 03, 01:30 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
M. Wetmore wrote:

Ok, I am in a real quandry here. I have a Featherweight, a 15-91 on
its way in a nice cabinet and I am in the process of purchasing a 201.
Now, to round out my stable, I want a machine that can do a blind hem
stitch or zig zag stitch around the edges of applique. I am looking
at a 301 and a 500 (Rocketeer). I don't think the 301 can do a zig
zag stich or blind hem without the attachments, but can the 500? Has
anyone used the attachments for these purposes on a 301 and if so, is
it awkward working on applique? If neither of these two, what other
old singer is recommended for this final part of my quilting needs. I
have the Featherweight for piecing, the 15-91 or 201 for machine
quilting (feed dogs drop and lots of space under the arm), but I am
still missing the machine applique part. Once I have that hole
filled, I'm going to sell my Bernina 145. As far as I can tell the
only thing I will be giving up besides some fancy stitches I don't use
is the needle down option. And, I find it pretty easy to end up with
the needle down either by tapping the foot pedal or by turning the
wheel.

Anyone see any reason why I might be sorry I sold my Bernina?

Well...It might be kind of difficult to haul all the machines with you
to a retreat or camping ;-)

I have the 301 with the zig zag attachments, but alas, I haven't tried
them out. Only do the straight stitch on that one.

marcella
Old December 9th 03, 06:40 AM
WoodenSpools

I carry a Featherweight or 301 to stitch club (both straight stitch only)
use my 15-91 for freemotion quilting (prefer it over my 201) and yes, I do
use the 500 for a blind hem stitch - sorta blind hem - when I need that.
I don't have a Beaneater but I wouldn't get rid of it if I did have it; I'm
sure it has a lovely feather stitch, something I can't produce on an old
Singer. Every machine has its strengths.....
A 301 is really like a FW that can drop its feeddogs. The 500 has lots of
built-in stitches and many of the tophat cams just duplicate what's already
built in. Weighs alot more than a FW or 301; I don't tote mine about. I'd
go for a 500 - my hubby has given me strict orders to never part with the
two I have, as he feels they are a superb design.
Happy Sewing!
In Stitches,
Buckeye Bev